So...too much saw for this tree?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
*joke alert*

Husky 41 :D

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

biggest tree on the property, about 8' at the base (only half the tree shown), and down in a canyon. I've been wanting to get this sucker up to the road for years but think I'd need a D8 and 400' skid line :p I could get my truck down to it but would have to winch back out...o well.
this thing is so big it shows up on Google Earth :p

No problem if you take your time.

and a lot of it :p wonder how many bars and chains and sprockets you'd go through.

I took apart a dead 6' Euch with a 20" 031 many years ago...had a friend with an 056 drop it first...Took us a couple weeks :D
I think we killed the splitter, however...stuff was like petrified wood.

Can't really tell but it looks like there some green leaves? If so, there's still a bit of moisture in the wood. Stihl chain is pretty hard and it should help. If it's really dry, I'd be looking at a Rapco carbide chain and turn the oiler all the way up :msp_unsure:

You'll just have to whittle away at it :)

Can't really tell but it looks like there some green leaves? If so, there's still a bit of moisture in the wood. Stihl chain is pretty hard and it should help. If it's really dry, I'd be looking at a Rapco carbide chain and turn the oiler all the way up :msp_unsure:

You'll just have to whittle away at it :)

tree's been down for around 10yrs and still has green on it today...just enough roots still in the ground, I guess. pics are from '02

google earth, '09 :p
attachment.php

I've done such a thing before. Attacked a 50" oak with a jred 625 a 18" bar and made it into firewood. Took me a while, and for the last few cuts i borrowed a stihl 064. After that i sold my jred and bought a 046 :D

Not the same, because your tree is a bit bigger and the saw a bit smaller even, but if you dig into it you can get alot done and just use a bigger saw to finish off the stuff thats over twice the size of your bar :):msp_tongue:

That is one hell of a tree man!
My old WildThing would eat that tree like budda :cheers:

That looks like a day of fun (followed by two days of not-so-fun splitting)...I have only tackled one that big. I used a 125, a 7900, and a 288. My neigbor had it bulldozed and started at it with his 290. He called me to see if I had a bigger saw he could borrow. Of course not, I said, but you can borrow an operator and a saw. He was blown away with how much faster my saws cut than his HO special. We blocked it up and he used his FELBH to move the chunks around and get it split over the next several days.

You can get a lot of firewood from the branches of that tree. I drag all kinds of trees up grades with my truck here in Santa Cruz. I cut up a big Live Oak last winter that had two 4' trunks. We took the branches and the owner sent the trunks to the mill for lumber. I got about 4 cords from the branches.

If you can find a bigger saw you will have a much easier time. My wife says I have a chainsaw collection problem or CAD. I tell her chainsaws are like golf clubs or kitchen knives; one won't do every job. You need several. I usually take at least 4 when I cut firewood.

I have a collection of chains, cables, hoisting straps and clevises I recovered from the trash at work. I can drag a tree out from about 100 feet away if I daisy chain all my rigging. I haven't yet found the weak link, thank goodness.

Where in NorCal are you? If you want to get rid of that tree and you are within driving distance I can give you a hand. Let me know.

will let you borrow this big ole saw,, its 36cc's of ported madness :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

002-15.jpg

The more I think about it, the more I'm convinced you need a gear drive 5~6 CI saw :)

Saw a decent old Homie 990G w/48" bar for sale last year on CL and missed it by about two hours :(

Once tuned and sharp, they'll eat through stuff like this. Not fast, but let the weight do the work as you are mostly cuttin down anyway :)

You can get a lot of firewood from the branches of that tree. I drag all kinds of trees up grades with my truck here in Santa Cruz. I cut up a big Live Oak last winter that had two 4' trunks. We took the branches and the owner sent the trunks to the mill for lumber. I got about 4 cords from the branches.

If you can find a bigger saw you will have a much easier time. My wife says I have a chainsaw collection problem or CAD. I tell her chainsaws are like golf clubs or kitchen knives; one won't do every job. You need several. I usually take at least 4 when I cut firewood.

I have a collection of chains, cables, hoisting straps and clevises I recovered from the trash at work. I can drag a tree out from about 100 feet away if I daisy chain all my rigging. I haven't yet found the weak link, thank goodness.

Where in NorCal are you? If you want to get rid of that tree and you are within driving distance I can give you a hand. Let me know.
we have a 200' and a 125' cable, blocks, straps, chokers, etc and use it fairly often to get smaller trees out to flat areas to process...but this thing would need a single 400' cable. My step father's 3/4-ton would pull chunks up but we don't want to work that hard :p There are bunches easier downed trees to cut up on the property.
It is still fun to try and figure out an easy way to get it up on the road though :D
biggest trees I've cut up were in the 6' diameter range (oak and Euch) so this one would be about the same.

Back