So whadja do today?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Accidently killed a pink flamingo today, who knew they haven't flown south yet?
Anyways got called to do a split soft maple, this one was a race against time and probably had 10 min to spare before she blew apart.

Here's Reed Ristvedt killing a red ringrot infested 135' Doug-fir today. I got to play groundman. He'd cut a limb and drop his saw. I'd race in to grab a limb and the sawdust would start hitting me head while en route to the chipper:p.

100 years to grow, and half a day for 2 guys to turn it into mulch and firewood. The brown rot infested heartwood in the tapered hinge didn't pull fibers like the sapwood, wonder why:).

We sliced a chunk through the conks to see where the fungus led. Right down an old branch to the heartwood like the books say.

Line clearance. It's hard to drop crotch when there are no laterals except the ones hanging on the neutral.

We were all knocked flat on our backs when this monster hit the ground. At least we were out of the bucket for a while.

Trims just don't show up in a pic. This tree had never had anything done to it, other than a 'lil crappy pruning a long time ago. I had to fix a lotta bad cuts, and she wanted all her lines clear. :rolleyes:

:( That's quite a bit of pruning on just the bottom of the tree. What about the ends on the far left that are going right at the wires? Were you leaving that for the power company?

up.gif

I just got sent to me, some digital images of me doing a job a couple of weeks ago.

A tree blew down right on the fenceline and got hungup on the trees beside it..

Funny site with all the sheep every where, people with plastic bags on sticks, dogs running berserk, men on motorbikes tring to "organize" their sheep..

The lady has got a new camera and wants to get some pics..
Meanwhile i'm into it, i can see more storms comming..

My wife and kids ( and the customers kids) are at a safe distance
to watch..Toni has taken some shots with the film camera, the lady can"t work hers...

When she can, the batteries are flat, another trip to the farmhouse, then the memery was full, hubby used it,
she gets some shots as it nearly done.

To see the "before" shots they'll be back in the mail soon,

It's a bit hard posting these BACKWARDS..

you can still see the tree in the forground, and the size of the tree that hit it, I'm climbing the other half to remove some weight from the left...I want it to go into the paddock not the trees its leaning to!

Other shots will show how it split straight down the middel.

The Johnsered 625 made short of the left hand side, to much wind to cut from the right as im sure most of us like to, so how uncomfortabale do I look here, cutting left handed?

She got one good shot out of 30?

love hanging round on the weekends! should of sent the camera up to me..show you all the sheep!

There will be another instalment of "Derek saves the sheep"
( well got their fence sorted out)...I can't wait to see me having to keep stopping for the herds of animals to pass!

I climbed the tree with big one stuck in it first, I had a good veiw
lovley way to spend a windy day!

last one

I wanted the lady to shoot as the tree was about 45*from landing..I did my "slow release scarf" got a littel out of the way and waited, waited, "here it creaking lots" she says....

here is the other half of the tree landing in the paddock
(I hope, i'm not looking!)..It's just a bit early,(the shot) but was right on target, missed everything in the other trees!

a littel side reduction, a little tapered hinge cut, "bugger the wind its going over there"...

And men came with "strainers", man drove loader, fellows with barb wire on huge rolls ran it everywhere..Woman bought TEA!
The kids where munching on scons, the dogs where stealing them
it was full on!!

And the sheep where safe......Stay tuned next week for another exiciting epesode of "Derek saaaavvvveeees the shhhheeeeep!"

See ya...Derek..

Latest posts

Back