So what is better/reliable?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You definately know more about plows than me, I can promise you that. We get an inch of snow and the world is ending around here. Do yall plow in 4WD?
We average 120 inches of snow a year. A half hour north of me they usually double that, they get more lake effect snow then us. Yes you have to plow in 4WD. The snow plow set up weighs any where from 350 to 600 lbs. That weight pulls down on the front of the truck and lifts up on the back of the truck. Kind of like if you load the box of your truck up with a lot of weight, it makes the back of the truck squat and lifts up on the front, it's just the opposite with a snow plow. This causes a lot of wear on the front end.

We average 120 inches of snow a year. A half hour north of me they usually double that, they get more lake effect snow then us. Yes you have to plow in 4WD. The snow plow set up weighs any where from 350 to 600 lbs. That weight pulls down on the front of the truck and lifts up on the back of the truck. Kind of like if you load the box of your truck up with a lot of weight, it makes the back of the truck squat and lifts up on the front, it's just the opposite with a snow plow. This causes a lot of wear on the front end.

I bet there is some money in clearing parking lots up there eh

Hey, 200 posts.

Oh and that picture of the Kodiak, If you look real hard you will discover Fords HD trucks aren't under Ford anymore. That is their marketing. How about an L9000 Tandem. Ford actually has an entire company devoted to HD trucks.

You're right but you're wrong.

You're right that HD Ford trucks aren't under Ford anymore.

You're wrong that Ford has an entire company devoted to HD trucks.

In 1996, Ford sold their HD truck line to Frightliner and Frightliner renamed it Sterling. As you well know, Frightliner is owned by Mercedes Benz.

You're right but you're wrong.

You're right that HD Ford trucks aren't under Ford anymore.

You're wrong that Ford has an entire company devoted to HD trucks.

In 1996, Ford sold their HD truck line to Frightliner and Frightliner renamed it Sterling. As you well know, Frightliner is owned by Mercedes Benz.

Yeah you caught me I forgot about that. And since Daimler took over Chrysler Have you seen the Medium Duty Sterling coming out this year, With a Dodge cab, Sterling Grill, And a Cummins motor.

Yeah you caught me I forgot about that. And since Daimler took over Chrysler Have you seen the Medium Duty Sterling coming out this year, With a Dodge cab, Sterling Grill, And a Cummins motor.

I didn't know that. I'm not a big Dodge fan though.
I know there were alot of questions several years ago as to when a MB engine would go in the Dodge. Now that MB wants to dump Dodge I don't think that is going to happen.
I'd like to see IH start making a pickup again.

That would be cool. I dont think that Navistar is far from making a pickup. They built the CXT. Which is not a very marketable item. I would think their first venture would be something around a 450. But the truck market is very competitive now so who knows. The pic of that sterling medium duty is in the new Diesel Power magazine

That would be cool. I dont think that Navistar is far from making a pickup. They built the CXT. Which is not a very marketable item. I would think their first venture would be something around a 450. But the truck market is very competitive now so who knows. The pic of that sterling medium duty is in the new Diesel Power magazine

The real fact is, most of the people with pickups just use them for driving around. Many of the people that actually use their pickups use them beyond their limits and would be much better suited to buy a mudium duty truck. The example I think of is Ford saying the new Super Duty can pull 24K pounds. Yeah, a little tail waggin' the dog there. The Ford clutch, transmission and brakes aren't going to put up with a steady diet of that. A medium duty truck will be very happy pulling 24K pounds for 5x the distance. With a medium duty you get the whole package. Brakes, engine, trans, axles, clutch, frame, wheels, tires etc.

Alot of ranchers buy 1 tons and pull humongous stock trailers with them. They wear out the truck in 50K miles and buy another. The reality is it's cheaper than paying the insurance on a medium duty truck.

The towing claim ford is talking about is true. They have started marketing the F-450 with a pick up bed, like an even bigger dually. And the F-450 is a medium duty truck, a small one however

Back