So, what's the deal?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

abikerboy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Seems like every direction I look, I am seeing saws that are 40cc to 50cc with 18"-20" bars. My MS290 handles the 18" pretty well, but I wouldn't go any larger than that. Seems like the 40 to 50 class would be limited to 16" bar and chain.

Seems like every direction I look, I am seeing saws that are 40cc to 50cc with 18"-20" bars. My MS290 handles the 18" pretty well, but I wouldn't go any larger than that. Seems like the 40 to 50 class would be limited to 16" bar and chain.

It all depends on your little part of the world you are in.........no joke.

TT

A stock USA ms290 is pretty close in power to a pro 50cc saw; Farm Boss may actually be a bit weaker than the hot ones.

It's a wierd thing.

Lotsa guys around here don't know squat about saws other than "How big of a bar will it take".

Consequently everything on the shelves will always have the max length bar on them on the homeowner side, but the 90cc Pro saws all have 20 and 24's LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

That's because real tree men know that more power less weight rules. Bar length is relative to average wood size. Lower end saws are marketed to smaller penis wannabees.

tough call on bar size.

Lots of people say that extra bar length doesn't cost you anything in parasitic losses if only part of the bar is buried in the cut, like a 16" tree cut with the same saw with either an 18" or a 24" bar will only lose you maybe a few percent power on the 24" bar.

Even less if you're running semi skip or full skip. For me though, it's all about the balance of the saw. I try to run the smallest size bar I can get away with, and would rather be slightly underbarred and overpowered than the other way around. I guess it's the feeling in the cut? I don't mind using trickier falling techniques if i'm a bit underbarred.... but if I've got a huge bar on a smaller saw then I feel like I'm getting nowhere :(

Shaun

It's a wierd thing.

Lotsa guys around here don't know squat about saws other than "How big of a bar will it take".

Consequently everything on the shelves will always have the max length bar on them on the homeowner side, but the 90cc Pro saws all have 20 and 24's LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote
that's because they know you really need a 42" and can get another $200 out of us for it...

Had a 20" on my 290( Probably Max) and it struggled. I would say 18" is bout right. Also depends on chain. You might find out that half skip or full will run good with a 20" and a MS290 as opposed to a RMC or RSC on a 16" or 18"

Bought a like new GZ4000 (40cc) off Ebay, it came with an 18" bar. I was concerned it wouldn't handle it, but actually pulls it fine as long as you don't push it. I've buried it in white pine and maple, keep it sharp and it works fine.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

ive definitely noticed this myself!
in the homeowner market the big question is "what size bar".. you even see stores like lowes/hd/sears advertising the length of the bar before the model of the saw .. "18" gas chainsaw"

Latest posts

Back