So who is NOT watching Ax Men on history channel???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We love that show!
We don't have cable/dish, we have to go to the neighbors house to see that show. That is so awesome! Did anyone see that show on the network, I think it was the most deathliest jobs? I don't remember the name, but there were like seven people starting out and they all did the same job together, moving around the country, to the different jobs. As the less affective people on each job were removed, it ended up being the last two, logging, in the Olympic National forest, ie, NW Washington! The guy that lost was doing the best he could, but I could not believe my eyes!:confused: He could not hold the saw straight to cut a wedge! I'm not making fun of him, it's like I say, I LOVE the people who love New York City, because there not here, in MY woods! If we all loved to be in the woods, it wouldn't't be the woods(the great out doors)! You people who like the city and smog, I love you, please, stay there, it's dangerous out here, let us die, you live and re-populate the planet, we won't survive!:jawdrop: (just kidding)!
Melt snow, I want to try my new-to-me 039!
PERMIT, we don't need no stinking permit!

My wife thinks I'm crazy.... I climb trees all day and then I come home and watch a tv show about working on trees.

But seriously, cool show. I can't help but compare it to what I do - climb and work on trees in the city. It's hard to say which trade is more difficult - Logger or Arborist.

These guys are felling basically straight, bean-pole (although huge) forest trees in the direction they want, they are limbed and bucked, then the rigging crew chokers them to cables and they are dragged up the hill.

We as climbing arborists are dealing with obstacles in every direction and large, spreading trees, and big pieces of wood falling and spinning and dangling by rope - around you as a climber and above your head on the groundcrew. We are running a very powerful top-handle saw just inches from our bodies and our lifeline.

While I do think a climbing arborist is a more difficult job than a logger, I have to say that I have a hell of a lot of respect for those guys working the rigging on those steep slopes on Ax Men. That's cool how they swing on the cable to move quickly across the brush. And the fellers are wicked with those Humboldt notches and wedges.

What does everyone else think, which job is more difficult, day in and day out, Logger or Arborist?

Now that you mention it, I think you both have it tough! It's like police/firefighters? I've listened to my brother, the cop and yea his job is "life on the line", but I tell you what, have you ever run into a burning building!? I have, I'm SCBA trained and have run into a structure fire, there is not many things that have made my blood pump like firefighting and road racing motorcycles! OK, cutting with my Stihl's is a close SECOND, second I said, but not out of the picture. I love to cut and I like Spotted Owl's fried!

Last edited:
I dont watch it. Ive seen it a few times and Im not impressed by it. I find Ice Road Truckers to be far more interesting than Axe Men.

i liked it, they had a couple bad episodes i thought but as a whole i thought it was a good show. the wife even like it after a few episodes. i tried to watch ice road truckers and after a few shows i found it to be basicly the fat old guy telling everyone how much they suck compared to him lol.

I watch it, but there is far too much drama. It seems that almost everyone is on an ego trip!

After seein a documentary about tree climbing/logging, in the mid 90's i think it was, nothing impressses on me any more. One part was about a guy climbing a 10-15 ft diam tree and cut the top off from it, at a 5-6 ft diameter and about 150-200ft above the ground. The only things he carried was his climbing gear, chainsaw and a thermos. After he cut the top of the tree , he took a break sitting on top of that stump, drinking a cup of coffee. That tall stump was swinging sideways at least 20 ft, for minutes it seemed. The pictures was taken from a helicopter and it was the most beautiful logging pictures I've ever seen.

I someone remember seeing this one, please say. I have looked for it at youtube and cant find it. PLEASE post that video if you have it.:cry: :cry: :cry:

Logger or Arborist..... close jobs in a few ways in how they both can KILL you in a second.
Both run big saws
way I see it you deal with #####y people or moody guys you work with.....

whatever the case I would watch either of you guys work!!

Its out in Canada now, but here in the states, it was aired a long time ago. Many threads on AS on it... do a search.

Next year's Ax Men II will be aired here (USA) on the history Channel in the Summer '09.

Nope, I found it to be like chocolate chip cookies with rabbit turds mixed in.
The part that wasn't worth it didnt make up for the part that was.

That sounds sooooooo appetizing! I will have to keep an eye out for rabbit turds next time I am at the bulk foods section of the grocery store.

+1....and WTF is with the "yoader"....what an inefficient POS. Madill 120 / 124 grapple yarder and build more road so you don't have to skyline everything. Why skyline ground that was cat logged the first go around?

Not that I have anything against the guys in the show or their methods, I looked forward to seeing it when it first aired. The producer made it much less than it could have been by trying to make it reality instead of real.

+1....and WTF is with the "yoader"....what an inefficient POS. Madill 120 / 124 grapple yarder and build more road so you don't have to skyline everything. Why skyline ground that was cat logged the first go around?

it could be that you cant build more road... and skyline is the way to leave the least impact on the slope. I imagine that these guys have to contend with a heck of alot more environmental regs than they did 50 years ago. especially in the area of erosion.

We love that show!
We don't have cable/dish, we have to go to the neighbors house to see that show. That is so awesome! Did anyone see that show on the network, I think it was the most deathliest jobs? I don't remember the name, but there were like seven people starting out and they all did the same job together, moving around the country, to the different jobs. As the less affective people on each job were removed, it ended up being the last two, logging, in the Olympic National forest, ie, NW Washington! The guy that lost was doing the best he could, but I could not believe my eyes!:confused: He could not hold the saw straight to cut a wedge! I'm not making fun of him, it's like I say, I LOVE the people who love New York City, because there not here, in MY woods! If we all loved to be in the woods, it wouldn't't be the woods(the great out doors)! You people who like the city and smog, I love you, please, stay there, it's dangerous out here, let us die, you live and re-populate the planet, we won't survive!:jawdrop: (just kidding)!
Melt snow, I want to try my new-to-me 039!
PERMIT, we don't need no stinking permit!

I think the show you are thinking of is "America's Toughest Jobs". I only seen the logging episode. The guy that lost the face-off was handling that saw like it was a 2 headed cobra.

OK that's funny.:greenchainsaw:

That sounds sooooooo appetizing! I will have to keep an eye out for rabbit turds next time I am at the bulk foods section of the grocery store.

No need to go out you can make them yourself.

Latest posts

Back