So you want to be a logger?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
heck my job aint even on the list

me i am ranch hand now. they think loggin is bad try punchin cows on foot:clap: mostly i retired from timber work. now just cut for the ranch and friends and fire wood:clap:
:cheers:

I know how to solve it!!!

an all out brawl between the workers of the Best Jobs and the workers of the Worst Jobs...that is the only fair way to see who has it the worst!!!:clap:

an all out brawl between the workers of the Best Jobs and the workers of the Worst Jobs...that is the only fair way to see who has it the worst!!!:clap:

Bring it! :cheers:

Hey how you been, haven't seen you for a while? School good? (can't remember if you graduated yet or not)

Last edited:
Logging, arborist work I would say is the most dangerous work . Crab fishermen were once called the most dangerous ,but now with more natural disasters more men are picking up the saw. I started felling trees for a large forestry company,union paid when I was 16 years old . I had a big passion for saws and in 1989 at 31 I was technical services manager at Stihl Canada. My boss Fred Whyte is now president of Stihl USA, my branch manager then Steve Meriam is now national sales and product development manager for Stihl USA. These guys pounded the pavement to get to where they are now, I really admire them for how far they have gone , but executive life style was not for me and said they can keep all their headaches. So I picked up the saw again and now at 50 I still love it and the young family I am raising. I don't think we have the worst job. If you have kids or grandchildren and can properly provide for them you GOT IT MADE.:)
Willard.

Last edited:
Heres something for the guys who want a cushy job at the top:

An eagle was sitting on a tree resting doing nothing.

A small rabbit saw the eagle and asked him, "Can I also sit like you and do nothing?" The eagle answered: "Sure why not."

So, the rabbit sat on the ground below the eagle and rested.

All of a sudden, a fox appeared, jumped on the rabbit and ate him.

Moral of the story:
To be sitting and doing nothing, you must be sitting very, very high up.

Heres something for the guys who want a cushy job at the top:

An eagle was sitting on a tree resting doing nothing.

A small rabbit saw the eagle and asked him, "Can I also sit like you and do nothing?" The eagle answered: "Sure why not."

So, the rabbit sat on the ground below the eagle and rested.

All of a sudden, a fox appeared, jumped on the rabbit and ate him.

Moral of the story:
To be sitting and doing nothing, you must be sitting very, very high up.

Cushy isn't the way I would describe my job. Safe and not very physically challenging (most days anyways). I have just as many deadlines and responsibilities as anyone else. If I get tenure someday, then it will be cushy. :)

ive been good. been staying really busy with work and school. ive got one semester before im done with my degree. and i've been working on a 160 acre clearcut, (cutting everything 8" and larger) that has to be done by April 1, it is gonna get strip mined and we are cutting all the trees before they bring the dozers in. so that is keeping me pretty busy.

Eye of the beholder....I think cutting timber is the best job in America, seriously. Aside from job stability and seasonal layoffs that can be longer than expected (or not) it's great!

Last edited:
Eye of the beholder....I think cutting timber is the best job in America, seriously. Aside from job stability and seasonal layoffs that can be longer than expected (or not) it's great!

Yup. We worked Monday and Tuesday, got blown out Wednesday, worked yesterday and got blown out again today. It's a selective cut with some narrow lays and they don't want skinned up leave trees.

I took climbing gear and some blocks with me this morning, thought maybe we could rig a couple of pull trees. By the time it got daylight, sitting there with the wind rocking the pickup, we talked ourselves right out of that idea.:)

Don't pay any attention to those people in offices who decide that loggers have the worst job in the world. We've never been well thought of and we never will be. Just consider the source... they make their judgements based mostly on anecdotal evidence and hearsay. They really have no idea of who we are or what we do. They know as little about our world as we know
about theirs.

The only people whose opinion of you counts for anything are those closest to you...your family and your co-workers. The rest of them? Bean counters and pencil pushers? Scroom. :cheers:

Last edited:

+1 You can't beat traveling to work in the early morning and meet only 1 or 2 vehicles, watching for wildlife, watching for fish running through the culverts. Smelling that clean quiet air. Before you start you saw and machinery you can hear that red headed woodpecker in the distance. The wood smoke from the warmup shack. Man I really really miss that after doing urban tree work for the last 10 years.
Every thing is green,dew on the ground , the smell of sawdust and then the pleasure at the end of the day at the landing pacing out your days production . How good that apple tastes on the way home. As your travelling through town on your way home your watching for the female wildlife with 2 legs walking down the sidewalks. Life doesn't get any better then this.:)

Yup. We worked Monday and Tuesday, got blown out Wednesday, worked yesterday and got blown out again today. It's a selective cut with some narrow lays and they don't want skinned up leave trees.

I took climbing gear and some blocks with me this morning, thought maybe we could rig a couple of pull trees. By the time it got daylight, sitting there with the wind rocking the pickup, we talked ourselves right out of that idea.:)

Don't pay any attention to those people in offices who decide that loggers have the worst job in the world. We've never been well thought of and we never will be. Just consider the source... they make their judgements based mostly on anecdotal evidence and hearsay. They really have no idea of who we are or what we do. They know as little about our world as we know
about theirs.

The only people whose opinion of you counts for anything are those closest to you...your family and your co-workers. The rest of them? Bean counters and pencil pushers? Scroom. :cheers:

Bob, you should be a motivational speaker. :)

Although you did call me a bean counter and pencil pusher. :cheers:

Back