So you want to be a logger?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Of course, there are not that many logger babes around. :monkey:

I can think of a one off the top of my head. BUT I got her and I ain't sharin. Been around loggin and cuttin all her life, and will be so long as I can keep her around.

If your here this spring and hang around town long enough, I'm sure you will find one or two hangin around the local waterin hole. Coarse some type of goggles are said to aid in the search when your looking in the weeee hours of the mornin :dizzy:

Owl

There's a lot of truth in what MR4wd says about the danger of crabbing/logging resulting from inadequate equipment, but also from poorly done regulations.

But, the overwhelming reason is because the product is so low value compared to the high cost of the necessary safety equipment that it wouldn't be feasible to make all logging and fishermen 'safe'.

We get by with we have, caulk boots and tin hats, or survival suits and epirbs, but why are we still fishing crab on a horserace schedule? The fierce comptetion for market share is what sends a lot of west coast dungeness fisherman to the bottom.

An individual quota system for permit owners would save crabbers lives. And an I.Q. test would certainly save some cutters.....

I've been lucky in both industries, scared and weathered, but still alive. And, to my personal credit, after 35 seasons running a boat, I have no lost time injuries or deaths, and no loss of boat.

If I had it to do all over again, I would. Its been a marvelous life, and one you'll never duplicate sitting in an office.

I know some. But they'd probably punch your lights out for calling them that.

My oldest daughter is 19, stubborn and contrary. She finally brought the right guy around and got married last June the day after all the fires started. Son-in-law got a job with a logging outfit, trying to better his position. He's not afraid to work but is a bit clumsy, IMHO. I bought him some saw chaps for Christmas. I would like to have grandkids someday. Poor kid thought he would be driving truck, but they had him limbing with occasional skidder duty.

Anyway, they went out and cut some Christmas trees one day and brought one down to us. It needed a slight trim off the bottom, and imagine my surprise when the daughter grabbed a saw out of the back of the pickup and prepared to cut it. I offered to do it, but she said, "Just stand back, Dad". She started it with one pull and proceeded to make the cut.

She's pissed at me now, so I have been avoiding her lest I get my clock cleaned. :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:
She's pissed at me now, so I have been avoiding her lest I get my clock cleaned. :greenchainsaw:

You must've done something right old man. (Sorry couldn't resist).
As for the people looking down their noses at the workin man, it happens. I went to college and got a 4 year degree. I remember people couldn't even change a burned out headlight. I used to mock them. Now they make twice what I do. At least they can afford to pay the mechanics who rape them, but they deserve it. I've worked both sides of the fence and I took a job with a county agency because I thought it would be more steady work. I'm now laid off and goin back to tree work after I talked to my old boss. I'm also an apprentice operator. I like doin work I can see the results. Those goofs can have the office. I don't care what anyone says. Till you've brought down a 72" maple in an urban backyard and fixed the yard back to perfect or hauled out a stuck excavator with a D8 dozer, you don't know what work is.

You must've done something right old man. (Sorry couldn't resist).

No offense taken. I have tried to raise my kids to appreciate the value of hard work and dedication. I have also stressed the value of having options.

Said daughter, at her young age, has a couple of years of college under her belt, ran the office at a body shop, (did some painting, too), is currently working as a pharmacist's assistant, and apparently has some saw experience as well.

She does have quite an attitude, but otherwise, I think I did OK.

No offense taken. I have tried to raise my kids to appreciate the value of hard work and dedication. I have also stressed the value of having options.

Yep,life has a cruel way of throwing curve balls,best have a plan B &C.
You can get away with being the barn yard Rooster for quite a while if your good.But then one day you wake up and the world changed in a short period of time.
The last 10 years of my fishing carreer I averaged $96k/yr,for 4-6 months of the season.Never bothered thinking about another trade,why in the world should I?
For several reasons mostly of my own making,that train stopped,its been pretty darn hard to make anything approaching a decent living on the beach.Its taken me almost 8 yrs to remake myself and Ive scored a good spot in a union apprenticeship this spring.
Like anybody who works in the woods,Ill never forget my time working on the ocean,freedom,fresh air,excitement,the feeling of accomplishment,all that good stuff.
Good blue collar work tempers you like steell,least thats how I see it,enjoy your time in the woods but dont be a one trick pony is my advice.

ak4195

Last edited:
My oldest daughter is 19, stubborn and contrary. She finally brought the right guy around and got married last June the day after all the fires started. Son-in-law got a job with a logging outfit, trying to better his position. He's not afraid to work but is a bit clumsy, IMHO. I bought him some saw chaps for Christmas. I would like to have grandkids someday. Poor kid thought he would be driving truck, but they had him limbing with occasional skidder duty.

Anyway, they went out and cut some Christmas trees one day and brought one down to us. It needed a slight trim off the bottom, and imagine my surprise when the daughter grabbed a saw out of the back of the pickup and prepared to cut it. I offered to do it, but she said, "Just stand back, Dad". She started it with one pull and proceeded to make the cut.

LOL...You're lucky your daughter didn't wind up working in the woods, too. After those fires there was plenty of work for everybody. We had loggers down here from Oregon and Washington.

If you get a chance, go up to Scooter's on Jarbo Gap and follow Andy Mountain Road on out. In twenty miles, there were eight different logging
outfits working on the burn salvage. And that didn't include five or six down on the Cohasset side. Everybody is down for the winter but it will start up again, on a more limited scale, next Spring.

If anybody had seen your girl running a saw they probably would have kidnapped her and put her to work.:)

If you get a chance, go up to Scooter's on Jarbo Gap and follow Andy Mountain Road on out. In twenty miles, there were eight different logging
outfits working on the burn salvage. And that didn't include five or six down on the Cohasset side. Everybody is down for the winter but it will start up again, on a more limited scale, next Spring.

My son in law was working for one of them up in that vicinity, but I'm not sure exactly where. He is hoping to go back in the Spring. I don't think he realized how seasonal the job would be.

LOL!

But then, what is the proper term? Saw hotties? Wood babes? Sugar bushes? Tree honies? Ladies?

All those phrases are what I call country star Shania Twain. Shania worked the landing for her step dad when she was a young girl in northern Ontario Canada. She was pretty good with the saw, limbing, topping and squaring up the butts was her trade. Was even said she felled many a tree also.
And look where she is now. I heard one time up on stage at the Grand Ole Opry she put on a chainsaw speed cutting contest with 2 electric saws.:)

Iam a logger, i do the cutting/felling and the other guy operates the machine. there is only 2 of us but there is several other machines and people not far down the road.
I work on -20 days and i have to wear snowshoes for atleast half the day and carry my husqvarna/stihl chainsaw all day. i cut between 60 and 80 trees a day, delimbing and topping. Hangers the skidder operator deals with as its a waste of my time to try and get it down. Altho its not recommended to fell another tree onto a hanger, sometiems it just has to be done. We are cutting soft and hard maples, birtch and spruce if theres a load worth.
Im the summer i work for a line clearing company and do tree removals from live or dead lines. roping is my main area as i dont climb or have the equipment, other people within the ranks do. I prefer logging but the markets arent there for us right now but we are managing. I hop back and forth between the two,
i own a newer stihl ms441 which in my opinion i dislike, and i have 2 newer husqvarna 365 specials all with 20in bars. when kept sharpe they are excellent saws. Iam purchasing a husky 385xp with heated handles asap.
we have a tree farmer cd6e maxi skidder with 8 chokers and a finger on the blade. excellent machine and reliable. thats my story folks! keep those chains sharp

Last edited:
Back