So you want to split in the dark, you say......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Or you could be over there popping them open with the maul!

Wrong. :hmm3grin2orange:

NO X 27 :yoyo:

And wrong again. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I'm all about machinery. I get enough exercise just getting out of bed in the morning. Now, what was this topic about? Oh yea, splitting after dark. :msp_smile:

Wrong. :hmm3grin2orange:

And wrong again. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

I'm all about machinery. I get enough exercise just getting out of bed in the morning. Now, what was this topic about? Oh yea, splitting after dark. :msp_smile:

It's fun stuff! :rock:

I have in the past. Or got home late in winter with a trailer load if wood to stack. But then on a suburban block it's not far to power.

I recently bought a 30w led floodlight to light a dark spot at one of my woodpiles. Damn it's bright, nearly as good as a 300w halogen tube and better than 2x 150w incandescent globes.

I recently bought a 30w led floodlight to light a dark spot at one of my woodpiles. Damn it's bright, nearly as good as a 300w halogen tube and better than 2x 150w incandescent globes.

And a lot cheaper to operate.

I love splitten in the dark. Month of january 6-8:30 till its done. Then have to find more to split more. 5 to 20 deg, hat, gloves, and t-shirt. Feels great blowing apart those frozen logs with the fiskers. Its cold and dark, no one will bother me, can get a crap load done. Way better than sitten on my a$$ in front of the boob tube. The only problem is coming in to the 75 deg house. Feels hotter than the foundations of hell, for hours.

To get electric to my wood cutting area, I would need 400+ feet of cord, not happening. I guess we could buy a generator but we don't need to cut wood that bad. It can wait until it is light out.

Yikes, I thought it was bad getting dark around 6:00 here.

where he is it'll be getting dark around 3:30 real soon now

If you got a day job up there,. you pretty much go to work it's dark, get home it is dark, mid fall to next mid spring.. You wind up cutting and splitting in the nightime a lot. I would do it and decent clear sky and moon nights. Even went a lot and felled and cut in the woods and drug it out in the nightime. You get used to it, snow helps a lot of course to light up the area.

edit: wanted to add, used to go cross country skiing as well at night, and skating on the ponds (although I do not skate very well for some reason)

Last edited:
Its almost here, the never ending darkness. 2 1/2 weeks. Moon light really helps. Also the wood piles covered in tarps so not to freeze together like ice cubes.

I worked like that when i was 16 too, it catches up to you believe me but im only 35 now so i'm far from old but now i just work smarter:laugh:

AMEN! I still split in the dark too but the "method" has changed for the better. ;)

MVC-024S_11.JPG

HF has started offering very small generators, like 900 watts, for under 300 bucks. I need another generator like I need another hole in my head, but dang. Small and light and supposedly very quiet. Not Hondas, but good rip offs.

My beer cooler is larger and heavier.... And I have a EU 2000.

Daylight hours in the winter suck. If ya wanna get anything done ya pretty much have to work in the dark.
Just think though. It'll start getting better in a couple months.:D

Daylight hours in the winter suck. If ya wanna get anything done ya pretty much have to work in the dark.
Just think though. It'll start getting better in a couple months.:D

Thats what sick days are for.:hmm3grin2orange:

Latest posts

Back