Soaking spark arrestor screen in Brake Cleaner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Why is there a need to overanalyze how to burn something? Fire is basic. Nuff said already.
I'm laughing. I'm sorry -- but I'm laughing. Somewhere in north Florida is a square-inch piece of screening looking for a fire to burn it clean -- or, yuh, a brush. (We'll just have to see how the plot turns and our hero comes out in the next episode.)

I see this forum is just like the Harley Davidson forum. Ask a question and you get a mix of good, useful answers with off-topic wise guys. Thanks for the useful answers fellas.
If you can afford a Stihl, you can afford a propane torch....
Thank you so much for that financial advice.

I'm laughing. I'm sorry -- but I'm laughing. Somewhere in north Florida is a square-inch piece of screening looking for a fire to burn it clean -- or, yuh, a brush. (We'll just have to see how the plot turns and our hero comes out in the next episode.)
Yep, just like the Harley forum. I guess there's assholes in pretty much every forum.

Yep, just like the Harley forum. I guess there's assholes in pretty much every forum.
Not sure what you were expecting. Seemed like a pretty obvious response to a not very well thought out question. We're you afraid that you were going to ruin the screen? Were you afraid that it would spontaneously combust? Were you afraid that your saw would not run after spraying brake clean on the screen? 🤔

Not sure what you were expecting. Seemed like a pretty obvious response to a not very well thought out question. We're you afraid that you were going to ruin the screen? Were you afraid that it would spontaneously combust? Were you afraid that your saw would not run after spraying brake clean on the screen? 🤔
Now those ARE stupid questions. I asked how long people usually soak the screen in brake cleaner, which is a pretty standard way of cleaning these screens, as I understand it. Maybe it wasn't as well thought out as you would like, but others apparently thought so because I got some good answers.

Then there are always in these forums the insecure people who want to show how intelligent they are. And how funny. They are usually neither.

Brake cleaner ain't gonna remove carbon if ya soak it for the next 10,000 years. Sorry.

Just burn it off FFS. It ain't rockit serjury. You can use a candle, a cigarette lighter, a paper match, a gas stove, an electric stove (get it red hot, then blow on it), a piece of burning paper, a birthday candle, a votive candle, a food-warmer candle, an oil lamp, a wooden match, a burning toothpick, a kerosene heater, a Zippo lighter, the cigar lighter in your car, the propane burner in your BBQ, the gas flame on your camp cook stove, the propane pilot light in your HW heater, you could toss it onto the glowing coals in your woodstove or fireplace or bonfire chiminea, or burn it off with a flaming cotton ball soaked with alcohol or kerosene or mineral spirits or paint thinner or naphtha or gasoline or acetone or lacquer thinner or MEK or diesel fuel or motor oil or wax -- golly, I bet there are 10,000 ways to do it, and I suspect you could have done it 15 times in the time it took you to post up asking how...

Knowing how "risky" it is to try to explain any of this to you, I make one brief try anyway. I am an "*******" -- I don't mind. EasyT, people on this forum are trying to HELP you -- including the people you are castigating. It is not surprising to me that there are people you find similar on the Harley forum.
I am seventy years old. Particularly over time, over the course of my life, I have gained a lot of respect for people who observe, and practice, and gain a significant amount of true understanding of any of variously many things, whether diesel engines, or the hydrodynamics of lifting foils, or the French Revolution, or the reason that self-driving automobiles have not fulfilled promises too often made.
True understanding is almost never "blunt" and literal. It is true because it "extends into" its subject in a way that "makes sense," flows with the profile and contours of the reality involved, takes the serious things seriously, takes the variable things with more variability.
So, take it easy, a little, for your own sake. People who have commented on this thread are basically telling you that one has to burn off (or maybe brush / maybe hold it up to a wire wheel / maybe scrub in some useful way) the carbon out of your screen. The saw ain't gonna work real good if it can't push out the exhaust. Simple, easy, true.
Our suggestion to you is that you just gently and simply align what you are doing with that fact. The other stuff, the BrakeKleen kinda included, is pretty much joist "noise" in your head. Turn down that noise. You will feel better.

Now those ARE stupid questions. I asked how long people usually soak the screen in brake cleaner, which is a pretty standard way of cleaning these screens, as I understand it. Maybe it wasn't as well thought out as you would like, but others apparently thought so because I got some good answers.

Then there are always in these forums the insecure people who want to show how intelligent they are. And how funny. They are usually neither.
Someone needs a hug! 😂 And a torch.

Knowing how "risky" it is to try to explain any of this to you, I make one brief try anyway. I am an "*******" -- I don't mind. EasyT, people on this forum are trying to HELP you -- including the people you are castigating. It is not surprising to me that there are people you find similar on the Harley forum.
I am seventy years old. Particularly over time, over the course of my life, I have gained a lot of respect for people who observe, and practice, and gain a significant amount of true understanding of any of variously many things, whether diesel engines, or the hydrodynamics of lifting foils, or the French Revolution, or the reason that self-driving automobiles have not fulfilled promises too often made.
True understanding is almost never "blunt" and literal. It is true because it "extends into" its subject in a way that "makes sense," flows with the profile and contours of the reality involved, takes the serious things seriously, takes the variable things with more variability.
So, take it easy, a little, for your own sake. People who have commented on this thread are basically telling you that one has to burn off (or maybe brush / maybe hold it up to a wire wheel / maybe scrub in some useful way) the carbon out of your screen. The saw ain't gonna work real good if it can't push out the exhaust. Simple, easy, true.
Our suggestion to you is that you just gently and simply align what you are doing with that fact. The other stuff, the BrakeKleen kinda included, is pretty much joist "noise" in your head. Turn down that noise. You will feel better.
Uh...what?

Oh brother! I love how the simplest of repairs becomes a confusing quest.
Burn it off with a propane torch and blow it out with an air compressor or brush it off.
Be aware if you throw it away, wasps love mufflers. I sometimes think it is more important for that reason alone.
This is exactly why I don’t remove spark screens. I’m not too concerned with what comes out as I am about what can get in.

Let me guess: Stihl Ultra mix oil? If so definitely go to another one.. seen thousands of clogged spark screens from that mix oil. Your saw will thank you

Interesting thought ZeroJunk. I had my BG86 blower do the same. I never thought of leaving it out the last time it plugged. Obviously, my blower slows down gradually long before I really notice.
Now you got me wondering if I can remove the screen and re-install the nut. I'll have to look

This is exactly why I don’t remove spark screens. I’m not too concerned with what comes out as I am about what can get in.

I agree with that on saws. But, blowers, hedge trimmer, weed eaters, are usually made in such a way that there is a nipple output, and they stop up the nipple.

Actually, saws with a stopped up screen are quite rare comparatively because of the way they are run. Normally hot enough to keep it burned clean from the heat of the exhaust.

Back