Soaking spark arrestor screen in Brake Cleaner?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would say most plugged screens are in small homeowner saws that never really get a chance to burn it off. I check every 017, 018, 170, 180 screen. Then blowers, hedge trimmers and brushcutters. Again, usually small homeowner models. Full time operators, very few.
Run it full throttle, run it for some time and keep the air filter clean. As far as any prepackaged mixed fuel, really don't run that much of it around here. I think getting enough air and heat in the muffler makes the difference.
Kind of like burning it off with a torch.:blob2:

Take it your local Stihl dealer, tell him you want part #1130 141 9003 it should be around $3.99. Less than a can of brake cleaner.
But if your dealer is worth a damn he would take it from you, look at the screen, grab it with his/her needle nose pliers, reach under their bench, grab a torch, burn off the carbon, blow it clean with the air compressor, dip it in water and hand it back to you and tell you to have a nice day.
We would also give some friendly advice of the virtues of a clean air filter, properly mixed 50:1 quality premix, and cutting wood at full throttle whenever possible.
Good luck and be safe.

If you ask experts a question and they don't "just answer it". You are fortunate they took the time to politely hint you didn't even know enough to ask the right question. After I had been around a while I started to pick up on seeing the real "expert" wander away knowing the asker wasn't knowledgeable enough to understand a correct answer ... Your ideas may very.
"Experts?" I'd say the experts did in fact answer me. The smart asses didn't, preferred to prance around a bit and show off what they consider "wit." Like you.

Take it your local Stihl dealer, tell him you want part #1130 141 9003 it should be around $3.99. Less than a can of brake cleaner.
But if your dealer is worth a damn he would take it from you, look at the screen, grab it with his/her needle nose pliers, reach under their bench, grab a torch, burn off the carbon, blow it clean with the air compressor, dip it in water and hand it back to you and tell you to have a nice day.
We would also give some friendly advice of the virtues of a clean air filter, properly mixed 50:1 quality premix, and cutting wood at full throttle whenever possible.
Good luck and be safe.
$9

matchbook-4932818.jpg

"The Sad and Tragic Saga of the MS170 Screen Plug": 600 posts and 3 weeks, Easy.

easy-button-300x300-1-150x150.png

Here in Commiefornia we would only charge you $3.99. That's the SRP for Pacific Stihl.
Bill G is correct though, there's a $25 minimum order, and anything under a $500 parts order is subject to a shipping charge.
So we will add on consumable stuff like filter kits, plugs, spark arrector screens, etc. to reach $500.
Most of the time we don't have an issue hitting the $500 cart value at least three times a week.
$9 for an arrector screen seems excessive.... I'd shop around.

WTF would anyone ever buy a new spark arrestor screen, rather than spend 5 seconds burning off the carbon?
Even if it only cost a dollar?

Seriously, who does that?
It's like saying, "Gee, the bathroom mirror needs to be cleaned. Time to buy a new mirror!"

iu

Back