Sold the first load today.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuddhaKat

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Well I got to thinking, I'm dirt poor and I got a lot of wood rounds laying around here. Hmmm, what to do, what to do? Don't have a splitter. But wait, I do have a splitter, ME! So, I grabbed the old maul and started hammering away yesterday. Finished off a pickup truck load in the afternoon today and made a sign. Drove the truck out to the spot where everybody puts up their garage sale signs and put up my sign. I went home and was warming up a bowl of chili when the phone rings. SOLD!! 45 minutes. I thought it would be out there for a couple of days. Yee Ha!

To make it even better, I get to talking to the guy after we got the wood off and he says "come take a look at this". He walks me over to a shed and opens it up. Sweet Geezus. A shiny black 27 ton splitter. I don't want to sell it he says, but we can work something out for you to use it. 2 cords of wood, I get it for the summer.

attachment.php

Not a bad load for a 50 year old fat guy. I cut it, split it by hand, loaded it and unloaded it. (Hey, at least it's some $$$). It covers the permits for the 10 cords I'm going after this weekend, plus at least one tank of gas for the truck.

Good job on the extra Green$$. Better deal on the splitter, make sure you get something in writing for the splitter use. Make sure everything is documented as to condition when received and returned. Hate to see it come around and bite you on the back side. Have fun cutting on the state Forrest.

Beefie

Nice load of wood and nice truck as well!

That deal sounds like a good one, but as Beefie said you might want to put something on paper just to increase the odds of both of you remaining happy with the deal. Even take some pics of the splitter. If he asks why, just tell him that you want to make sure that you can bring the splitter back in at least as good condition as you got it.

:cheers:

:clap::clap:

Now to wear that splitter plumb out!!! LOL!!

$140 bucks for a truckload is KILLER!!
Rake 'em in while ya can!

I saw a flyer at the grocery store the other day for 60 bucks a truckload delivered.
Unemployment here is pushing 30% so everybody and thier brother with a wildthingy is cutting and selling.

Not bad at all for a gravity challenged fittysumthin' living in the dessert! LOL!!

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Good for you, we have to sell a truck load like that of split red oak or hickory for 35.00, I'd crap to get 140.00, great job.

Good for you, we have to sell a truck load like that of split red oak or hickory for 35.00, I'd crap to get 140.00, great job.
Well this will really make you cry. The load was a tad less than ¾ cord and it was Ponderosa Pine. :givebeer:

As the fall sets in the price will go up to $220 for a full cord of Pine. Hopefully it will be even more.

With the splitter I can keep a load out most weekdays. Towards the end of June the USFS will be opening up a section that's pretty close to the home so I'll probably be cutting 5 days a week back there and then head up to my decks with the big truck over the weekends. The thing is, the close stuff will all be live trees which will need to season so I'll actually be cutting next years wood. Ya know, this firewood crap is a lot of work. :laugh:

Is that an 8 foot bed? I have an abbundance of wood and our local prices are the same as you got. I wasn't sure what 3/4 cord looked like in my truck which is a shortbed.

Is that an 8 foot bed? I have an abbundance of wood and our local prices are the same as you got. I wasn't sure what 3/4 cord looked like in my truck which is a shortbed.
No, it's not the long bed. Wish it was. I measured the bed at 6'8" × 5'4". I calculated the load at 2'6" as an average to compensate for the wheel wells. By those measurements the load works out to .69 cord. I threw on some extra for good measure so I think the load was just shy of ¾ cord. Interestingly enough, the truck wasn't bottomed out.

I've never been, but I knew NV isn't very forested. Maybe that's why you're getting that price?

Anyhow, from the looks of that pic, you've about singlehandedly denuded the landscape there, bub.
Yeah, I had to go into Collyfornication to wreck their forests. Buaahahahaha!!:chainsaw:

Thats how I started this year..decided I could get and split more than I could use, put the truck out on the main road with a sign in sight of my house and usually the wood was sold within an hour or two, the quickest being 5 minutes! I get $120 a half cord for mixed hard/soft, about 1/3 hard, 2/3 soft.
Be on the lookout for a splitter it will pay for itself quickly.

From what I see on my travels , as well as what I see on this board, Missouri seems to have the lowest priced firewood. A couple of months ago I saw stacked, dry oak on the side of the road for $75/cord ! I almost took the Scout off the trailer and loaded up a couple of cords.

Latest posts

Back