solo 656

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VINIFIREWOOD

I only no what I know
Reaction score
Any of you guys have any experience with the Solo 656? Have seen guys compare them to the Dolmar 5100 but the 656 is a 56cc compared to the 50cc of the Dolmar. If its everything its advertised to be it should be a light weight little screamer.

651 and 656 are nice saws, smooth and good power, well built. 656 and 651 are the same except 656 is larger bore.

What is the deal with solo and dolmar? I have never ran a solo but would like to! I priced some this fall but a little high out here. I just wondered if there is any connection between the 2 or not?

651 and 656 are nice saws, smooth and good power, well built. 656 and 651 are the same except 656 is larger bore.

+ max 14000rpm on the 656 vs, 13500 on the 651.

Another thing - I want to see proof before I believe a power spec by Solo - too many lies in the past......

It is a bit odd that they don't submit their saws to KWF/DLG testing, beeing a German manufacturer, as it is an important selling point on the home market.

Apart from that rant, the 656 would be interesting if the specs are true!

Last edited:
So whats the deal Troll I know you can answer my ?

The only connection today is that the Solo 694 is the Dolmar 9010.

The below is the impression I have, not necessarily accurate;

Solo originally was involved in the 7900 etc development (sort of a joint venture), but as I understand it Dolmar canselled the deal - eventually Solo came out with a pretty similar saw series, but the saws are not the same.

The 651 and 656 has absolutely nothing in common with the 5000/5100 I believe (except looks), but obviously are designed to be competitors.

The only connection today is that the Solo 694 is the Dolmar 9010.

The below is the impression I have, not necessarily accurate;

Solo originally was involved in the 7900 etc development (sort of a joint venture), but as I understand it Dolmar canselled the deal - eventually Solo came out with a pretty similar saw series, but the saws are not the same.

The 651 and 656 has absolutely nothing in common with the 5000/5100 I believe (except looks), but obviously are designed to be competitors.

Thats what I wondered because they sure do look similar some of them!

I've been checking specs on the other mid 50cc saws for HP output and they are rated as follows. Husk [email protected], Husk [email protected], Jons [email protected], Stihl [email protected], Stihl [email protected], and the Solo [email protected]

Two things that catch my eye about the Solo is the rpm and the weight(11.5lbs) so if the hp and the weight are what they say they are that might be my next saw.

Sachs-Dolmar 105
Dolmar PS7900
Stihl 024AVS

you won't have buyers remorse with it. i have the 651 and it's a fantastic saw. you won't look back.

I've been checking specs on the other mid 50cc saws for HP output and they are rated as follows. Husk [email protected], Husk [email protected], Jons [email protected], Stihl [email protected], Stihl [email protected], and the Solo [email protected]

Two things that catch my eye about the Solo is the rpm and the weight(11.5lbs) so if the hp and the weight are what they say they are that might be my next saw.

Sachs-Dolmar 105
Dolmar PS7900
Stihl 024AVS

I talked to a guy who had a husky 357 and a solo 656. He said the 357 was a better saw but not by much. He said the difference in cut times was hardly noticable, but the 357 felt more balanced had a bit more power and a no tool air filter. I don't think the 4.1 hp number is off by much.

The conversion of power output from kw to hp seems to be a bit of a mystery to me. I've been using this site http://www.wentec.com/unipower/calculators/kw_hp.asp
to do the conversion and it doesn't always match what the manufacturers advertise. Their conversion for 3.2 kw is 4.29 hp. Solo's web site states 4.1 hp

The conversion is very simple....746 watts = 1hp so 3.2/.746=4.2895442359249329758713136729223.

Solo 656 weight

The latest Bailey's Xmas catalog lists the Solo 656 at 4.4 hp, and 11.7 pounds. Has anyone done a saw-to-saw comparison with the Dolmar 5100 or Husqvarna 346?

My new favourite chainsaw. Solo 656. Got it cheap so I had to buy it.

Attachments

• IMG_20221201_094842.jpg
    IMG_20221201_094842.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20221201_095228.jpg
    IMG_20221201_095228.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
Picked one up in Canada and when moving to the UK decided it might be good to be closer to parts etc. Also brought my Efco cs56 another favorite. The Solo needs going through but seems pretty straight. 20 inch bar on both.

Latest posts

Back