Solo 690 & 680 - Problems?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CbaileyBG

ArboristSite Operative
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I did a search and learned some on these two models. I was wondering if we had owners of these two models in the forums and if so, what were the biggest problems you had with these? I understand that finding parts are a problem but I would like to know some of the most common problems with these models. I bought 3 yesterday. Two 690s and one 680. I have one 690 running with a 2 1/2' bar on it and she is a horse. I am going to do a basic inspection of this saw. Some of you guys/gals may have some suggestions for me that have had experience with this. I am not planning to tear it down. The piston looks awesome and she runs like a champ. Just thought I would see if I could get any feedback on these models.

Curt

Sorry to inform but the 680 & 690 were discontinued some years ago.
Good power, decent AV control, fuel efficient.

Couple things to look for:
1. Carb manifolds...first ones were black. Deformed with time, heat & screw torque. Will affect idle, acceleration, and causes a lean setting that will.......will wipe out the cylinder/piston.
Upgraded to a denser white material. If black change ASAP with new gaskets.

2. Oiler pump gear material was also improved. Time, heat, and poor chain maintenance will cuse it ti prematurely fail. Think Red is the upgrade.

There were a few minor changes, but these two are majors.
With good mainetance....they'll work well.
If you need parts....no problem, just email me.

I didnt need any parts to start with but Now I do. I have all 3 running and man, they are beasts. I had one 690 just running idle and something happened with the clutch and it came apart and broke my bar plate and screwed up the brake assembly. I am missing a bar plate to the 680 also. The 680's piston looks brand new. I am impressed with them so far. But if you have a clutch for the 690 and a bar plate for the 680 and 690. I would be interested.

Curt

Latest posts

Back