Some Days...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kinda depends where you visit. Some of the farm sites I frequent, chainsaws are a necessary evil, and anything with rubber from new to 60 years old gets all the love.

It seems a little bit the opposite here, for obvious enough reasons. Tractors are just a tool to make firewood easier for most on here.

I'm about 1/2 way between the 2, I enjoy both (heck, anything that burns fuel and makes loud noises!) This tractor has been in need of more work than it's actually worth for some time now, but it was the last tractor dad bought new, so I'm keeping it if it eats me out of house and home. I'd really love a newer MFD tractor and put this one into semi-retirement, but it's not in the budget right now.

Replies for some of you:

Maple, I've been in your boat, and I have a 44 Massey Harris out on the hill with a patched rim. The valve stem area gets most of the damage, as a little seepage lets the calcium chloride eat the metal away in that area. I cut out the bad stuff, pounded a patch to fit the area, welded and ground till everything was smooth, then drilled a new hole for the valve stem 180° from the original (this tire is tubed, and still runs fluid).

FLX, this thing is on it's second or third set of hubs and spindles (a good bearing repacking spring and fall minimizes the problem, but still doesn't fix the fact that it's an underengineered front axle assembly). One side is studded, the other side uses bolts. It was actually the bolted side that came off, I may look into studs for this side as well, or just bolt through after I ream the bolt holes (9/16" fine thread). Rim doesn't appear damaged, caught it "just not soon enough".

Laynes - mine is plugged in on a timer that runs a few hours every morning, just in case I need it.

Dan - I have had a door look similar to that before. Good reason to look out the mirrors or back window instead of backing with the door open.

Wdchuck - never had a problem with leaking fluid in winter, but I have also always ran fluid in tubed tires, never tubeless.

If I missed something, I'll be back later. I'm about 2 hours behind on bedtime! (I work 4-10's on nights)

Steve

Thanks for the tip Steve, I am hopeful the rim can be repaired as new tires and rims are going to be a big pill to swallow all at one time. I am not a welder but have a good friend who is. He will be the one doing the repair if it can be done. They don't look that bad from the outside but a complete inspection with tire off the rim is definitely in order.

Regards,
Maple:

Maple,

If that Rim can't be saved, make sure to Holler here.

Thanks to having a large number of folks in the area, that are certified old Iron freaks, I might be able to find a set that wont blow up your wallet.

Some of the old timers around here have stuff stashed in barns for tractors they sold back in the 60's... it's actually funny at times.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Maple,

If that Rim can't be saved, make sure to Holler here.

Thanks to having a large number of folks in the area, that are certified old Iron freaks, I might be able to find a set that wont blow up your wallet.

Some of the old timers around here have stuff stashed in barns for tractors they sold back in the 60's... it's actually funny at times.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Dingeryote:

I'll definitely keep that offer in mind. I put a feeler out on the local Craig's list just to see what might be out there, but so far, no responses. Hopefully I won't have to go for new tires and rims at the same time but that remains to be seen. However things turn out, many thanks for your assistance offer.

Maple:

Back