Some issues with Echo CS2511-T

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FNH57

Reaction score
Hey guys! Thank you for giving me the opportunity to ask you pros some questions about a little saw I bought my dad a month ago. It is very much appreciated. So, I spent about 5-6 hours researching small, lightweight, quality saws and ended up going with the Echo CS2511-T. The other couple that were in the running were the Husky 240 (pretty sure that's right), and the Stihl MS201C. Anyway, as you can see I went with the Echo because of all the great reviews I read and the weight was just unreal. Here are the issues my dad is having:

1. Vibration/Bounce - sometimes as soon as he starts cutting into a tree or limb the saw starts jumping/bouncing for lack of better words. I saw online other people were having the same issue and fixed it with a new chain and bar. So, I took it to a local Echo dealer and he said "Oh, that is not the chain you want." and gave me a chain he said would fix that issue free of charge. Well, it didn't fix a thing. So, I am hoping if I bought a new bar that will fix the issue, but I wanted to be sure with you guys first, and I wanted to see which bar I needed to buy. I really hate I have to buy things for a brand new saw that should have been right from the get-go, but it is what it is.

2. No Power - my dad claims the little saw is "a dog" as he puts it. I did some more research online and saw where some people tune it & drill a hole in the exhaust and supposedly that fixes the problem. Is this true? And if so, where would you guys suggest I go to see how to go about this tune (keep in mind we're a couple chainsaw dummies, so if you could point me in the direction of a video or something that explains how to do this like his audience is a 1st grader that would be great)? Also, I believe I saw drilling a hole in the exhaust voids the warranty. So should I just buy a new exhaust and drill it and save the factory one in case I need the warranty down the road?

So those two things are my only issues. I really cannot thank you guys enough in advance for letting a dummy like me ask you pros a couple questions. I appreciate it SO very much. Y'all have a great day.

Josh

I purchased the cs2511t because of the reviews and write ups. For me this has been a great saw. My saw will cut logs 31 inches round. Great on large limbs and small. I have a dealer that helps me a lot. His product knowledge is not great. I do not argue. I contacted Oregon company about chain after researching the manual. I had to go to two shops to get two chains(on a job I do not have time to sharpen a chain, put another one on and keep working). The manual list two different bars and chains. I did not change and go to the thin kerf bar for flex reasons. My saw is not modified and does not need it. I have four chainsaws. I do not have a do it all saw. I do not expect one saw to do everything. Each has it's advantages and limitations as I have my limitations. I have a yard full of limbs and logs. My health is not good. When I recover, I will clean up the yard and be finished. Yes age and health has me by the short hairs. I will not sit in a chair and watch TV. I will not go gently into the night.

Hey guys, I appreciate the replies. Since my post I've taken it to an Echo dealer here and he recommended I get a different Oregon chain so I did, but it changed nothing. From all that I've found here on the site, it sounds like using a Stihl bar and chain totally transforms the saw. But, I have also read here that just swapping to a good chain will make a big difference. I have looked and looked, but cannot find the part # for the Stihl chain that fits it. Would anyone happen to know by chance? I have the 12" bar .050 3/8" w/ 47 links. All the help is greatly appreciated. Y'all have a good one.

Josh

Plenty of info on this in the chainsaw section. Or check out my YT channel. Personally stock I think these saws are weak and the 3/8lp setup they come with is too aggressive. But once you port the saw it's a whole different animal.

Latest posts

Back