Some nice Black Walnut slabs

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shawn Curry

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
My BIL had a massive 4' diameter Black Walnut cut down in his yard earlier this year. I've been cutting up the firewood for them in my free time and hauling saw logs back to my house. I finally got the chance to do a little bit of milling. This log was one of the branches.

image1.jpg image2.jpg image5.jpg image6.jpg

I had to take 2 2" slabs off of it before my dad could even lift it with the FEL. I also had to make a freehand cut along one edge so I could fit my 24" mill around it. After I got it home, I cleaned and squared up the freehand edge. I also tried to remove the heart of the log and most of the lightning damage in the first slab.

IMG_3611.JPG image3.jpg image4.jpg

Coming from a cabinetmaker watch limb wood use. It tends to move more when drying unpredictably than a nice straight trunk section.

Yeah, I am a little worried about them cracking or twisting too much at the crotch end especially. Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of straight stuff to be had in this tree - it was a massive yardbird - 4' at the stump. I've got these ones stickered in my garage. There's going to be a lot of slabs like these, hopefully a few of them dry out nicely.

IMG_3525.JPG IMG_3666.JPG

Looks great. I really like the way the crotch turned out. Are you milling with that 261?

Thanks! Haha - no I was just using it that day and put it there for size reference. It's ported, but I'm not sure if it would put enough oil on the bar... :D I used the 661 that you can see in a couple of the pics.

I would love to see what the inside of that stem looks like. Please come back and share some more when you slice that baby up!

Sure thing! I'm pretty excited about it too. Just gotta get my hands on an 090...:chainsaw:

Perfect rifle stock material. Very nice!

"Perfect" rifle stock blanks are AT LEAST 2-1/2" thick, 2-3/4" is even better... Zero defects, the proper denseness and the grain running in the RIGHT direction in the right places... MUCH harder than you may think...

Lower grade rifle stocks are much easier...

SR

Back