Some observations on first time using new toys

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJH1

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I finally got to use my new stihl 131 pole saw as well as my new husky 435 for some trimming/pruning over the weekend. Observation #1 about the 131, I'm out of shape!! That saw will cut whatever you can get it to with no problems. Cut some 8 inch oak limbs and it acted like it didn't even know they were there. Plenty of power, but it gets heavy after a while. I know, I know, suck it up and quit complaining. It also uses little fuel, or so it seems. The 435, for what it is, seems to be a good saw for what I bought it for, small stuff. It is comfortable to use and has decent power. It seems to be running a little rich, but I figured on running a few more tanks through it before adjusting the carb. I have to say though that my 335xpt has a lot more guts than the 435. I would expect that considering it was half the cost. All in all, a good weekend and I managed to get a lot accomplished. It's always fun to get to try out your new toys.

I finally got to use my new stihl 131 pole saw...Observation #1 about the 131, I'm out of shape!! That saw will cut whatever you can get it to with no problems. Cut some 8 inch oak limbs and it acted like it didn't even know they were there. Plenty of power, but it gets heavy after a while. I know, I know, suck it up and quit complaining....

Pole saws sure are handy, but they can be tough on the arms & shoulders after a while (I know what y'all are going to say--Get in shape, girly-man :laugh:).

I was at a John Deere dealership listening to a conversation between the store manager and a middle-aged fellow considering a pole saw. I have to give the SM credit for putting honesty before a making sale because he told the guy, "I can sell you a pole saw, but have to tell you it'll tear-up your shoulders if you're out of shape."

Yeah, I guess I better start doing 16oz arm curls instead of 12oz!! Seriously though, you use muscles you didn't remember you had when holding that pole saw. It is worth it though. You can cut a lot of limbs in a very short period of time. A whole lot easier than the manual pole saw I have been using.

Back