some ol stuff

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And the smell.

RandyMac probably remembers when when Holmes-Eureka had a huge air drying yard set up on 101 at the foot of Harris Street in Eureka. When the wind blew in off the ocean you could smell that green lumber clear to Cutten.

That's smell of money, son, my father used to say.

The pulp mills don't smell like anything these days. Is it just my nose or the improved filters?

That's smell of money, son, my father used to say.

The pulp mills don't smell like anything these days. Is it just my nose or the improved filters?

Sometimes they smell, sometimes not. It is beyond the scope of my brain. When we have east winds, the nice smell of green hemlock wafts over from the one surviving sawmill. I like that smell.

The one in Lewiston still stinks up the valley! Hope in keeps on stinking for many years to come!

Yeah. Does anybody really eat brussels sprouts or was it just something our elders tortured us with when we were kids?

I was once broke in the UK, all I could afford was brussels sprouts. The cheapest supposingly eatable thing you could find in stores. On of the ugliest experiences of poverty I've ever had.

Let me remind you, I'm the one who likes lutefisk, so I'm OK with the smelly food.

Conspiracy, I say.

Always thought the pulp mill towns smelled like brussel sprouts...Rumford, Duluth, Tacoma

Yup. Growing up in the 50's south of Seattle you could smell the Tacoma mills. I was probably 20 miles plus to the north.

Ah, yes, the "Tacoma Aroma". When I was in Nuclear Power School just outside of Charleston, SC in '99, we called the pulp smell there the "Goose Creek Reek". I have a secret theory that the Toyota Tacoma doesn't sell as well here as it could because of deeply-embedded scent associations. I know I don't want to drive a truck that smells like butt.

Brussel sprouts. Yum.

Brussels sprouts are a gift from the gods. Thor ate them daily with smalahove and rakfisk. Hermes brought sprouts to Zeus on Olympus where he ate them with lamb and honey. The Scotsman mixes sprouts into his Haggis during the Christmas season. And the Kiff family eats sprouts 4 or 5 nights each week. I cut them in half and lightly steam them, then dump them into hot olive oil and crushed and minced garlic for a few minutes. It is poetry on a platter!

A stick and a half of butter helps too. I thought they were satan's brew but then I had them made by good old southerners and they can be awesome.

Brussels sprouts are a gift from the gods. Thor ate them daily with smalahove and rakfisk. Hermes brought sprouts to Zeus on Olympus where he ate them with lamb and honey. The Scotsman mixes sprouts into his Haggis during the Christmas season. And the Kiff family eats sprouts 4 or 5 nights each week. I cut them in half and lightly steam them, then dump them into hot olive oil and crushed and minced garlic for a few minutes. It is poetry on a platter!

That's the way to cook them Brussels.
Most boil em to death, like cabage.

Fresh picked, small, 1 minute quick boil, vacuum bagged and frozen.
Good all winter.

A stick and a half of butter helps too. I thought they were satan's brew but then I had them made by good old southerners and they can be awesome.

That is defininetly southern. There are B sprouts grown all around me here and I have several friends who are farmers of this wonderful vegetable. The stonger tasting sprouts make up a smaller and smaller portion of the business. These are the sprouts sold to southerners and in particular African Americans. Theses sprouts are allowed the grow longer, larger, and leafier that the more standard varieties. While we in Cali tend to steam our vegies down south the cooks still want to boil them. So the farmers grow what the buyers want. Now I'm hungry.

Latest posts

Back