Some STIHL News From Germany; MS441 C-M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Funnily enough an ex Stihl dealer who runs the local chainsaw/tree felling courses was telling me that at a Stihl conference maybe 10 years ago they were showing saws with the same setup. As far as saw mechanics he is very cluey but as far as tree felling, not so.
He asked "When are they going to be released?" and apparently Stihl's response was "When we have to".
Why let all your eggs out the basket when you're already at/near the top of the pile I suppose.

Does anybody remember the computer controlled carb's from the 80's. Talk about junk. IMHO there is too much mechanical in a carb to go wrong. Now injectors are another story.

The first question that pops in my head is what about modding these saws. Will the computers be able compensate for porting/ muffler mods and such work like that? Either way, i think it's cool.

Carbs are SOOOOOO OOOOOLLLLDDDDDD. There is a reason why vehicles haven't been manufactured with them for decades. I'm waiting for full EFI.

As it stands, no they probably wouldn't be mod friendly. This is where you have to open your mind. Find a way to reflash the timing. Reprogram the ignition timing based on you changes and calculations.

This is only the beginning! This is the throttle body injection phase. Wait until there is no carb at all! Just a flap with a fuel injector down line.

The carb reigned supreme for 100 years. It took 15 to become obsolete in cars. 2 years in four wheelers. How long for chainsaws?

Yep!

This is why I love my '68 & 72 chevy trucks....I can work on them myself. Techno nerds everywhere are wetting their pants in anticipation of a completly computer controlled world.

Us neanderthals are dying out.....again.....{sniff}

RD

Said the mule to the tractor...... :rolleyes:

If you can't work on newer vehicles, it's because you're too close minded. They are not any harder to work on, just different. Get a Fluke, a manual and some reading glasses. That's all it takes.

Well Said, You will have to take your non-working saw in to the shop and pay $80 bucks to have them hook it up to some sort of computer analyzer!

$80? When it gets to that point, $80/hr aint gonna cover it.

If you can't work on newer vehicles, it's because you're too close minded. They are not any harder to work on, just different. Get a Fluke, a manual and some reading glasses. That's all it takes.

Yup!

Do it yourself vehicle fixin, modding, etc is alive and well in the computer age. You just need a scanner and multimeter and a little knowledge, but everything can still be done yourself. Racers and hotrodders are still doing engine swaps and all kinds of crazy horsepower mods. Understanding how a computer controls an engine is just part things. Aftermarket stuff is easily available and there are more choices than ever for ways to mod an engine.

I like the old tech (easier to work on) but there is something to be said for the new technology, if it works as intended. I see both good and bad in my line of work, sometimes the old way is worlds better. On the other hand look at what can be done with cars now with variable valve timing and the new FI systems, amazing.

Maybe someday saws will have Onstar and can tell you when you are low on fuel or oil and when you break down, it can direct you to the nearest dealer for parts/service.

Yeah, but first I gotta' figger out this new fangled Fluke I got....;)

Besides, 68-72 Chevy trucks are like old Macs--they just keep running when all the plastic stuff has been turned into recycled pop bottles......:)

Casey

LOL, and that "auto tune" technology was copied from the MS280.:laugh:

It is no secret that Stihl experimented on the 280, while Husky did on 575xp "pre-production" saws.

As far as I know, Husky started the experiments a tad before 1990, on 262xp prototypes, but that version never hit the market. That is why there is a "mystical" room in the rear handle of older 262xps. :)

Last edited:
"Close minded"? well you may be onto something there. But, there comes a point when you just have to say "Do I need this and is it worth the time and effort?"(same thought process with some girlfriends/wives). Well for me, I am just as happy letting those who want to forge ahead and leave me sitting in my cave grunting at the fire......really, it'a ok, but I do reserve the right to whine some when it costs me $$$:hmm3grin2orange:

RD

I write hex files and burn chips,,sounds like this could be fun..
major prob would be the file would be protected well enuf you couldnt dump it to read it and modify it..
maybe just mod a pin or two by looking at the specs on the chip could work too.
there are more possabilities to work a chip or program than you can imagine..
lets hope microsoft dont write the code !! LOL !!
instead of two screws to turn you could have the WHOLE power band to work with !!
wonder where it would get the voltage from to run the chip ?
man,this one got me thinking :)

Carbs are SOOOOOO OOOOOLLLLDDDDDD. There is a reason why vehicles haven't been manufactured with them for decades. I'm waiting for full EFI.

[snip]

Ye jest, surely ?

High pressure fuel pump, solenoid acctivated injector, ECU, an alternator and battery to power it all.
Sounds like a nice, light setup.... :biggrinbounce2:

125cc and 250cc GP bikes still use carbies. ;)

ECU controlled air injection is the only way to get two strokes as clean or cleaner than a four stroke, http://twostrokemotocross.com/2009/06/two-strokes-strike-back/ but for weight and simplicity you can't beat a pulse pump carburettor.

More than enough power coming off the magneto. Probably could pick it up through induction off the spark plug wire if needed.

Mr. HE:cool:

Latest posts

Back