Some STIHL News From Germany; MS441 C-M

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually look forward to the e-mails that i get from my cars and truck, they are never grumpy or political and they let me know when they need something. I imagine when the saws start doing this, they might have a few complaints about things like bugs in the wood or too much sap. heck, I look forward to the Avalancher sharing the e-mails his saws would send him!

Specs.:

Displacement: 70.7 cc

Engine Power: 4.2 KW (5.7 bhp)

Weight.: 6.6 Kg (Powerhead only)

Weight-to-Power Ratio: 1.6 Kg per kw

:cheers:

I like to work on my own tools and trucks too but the bottom line is fill with gas and oil then start the S.O.B.:greenchainsaw:

Any news on the MS261?

I hear the test units absolutely scream.

About the old mechanically controlled engines being more accessable to the weekend mechanic, I have lots of experience on this front. My Toyota has full electronics, 100,000 miles, runs like new, and I've never done more than an oil/antifreeze/air filter change on it. Contrast this to my Ford 8N: I can repair ANYTHING on that tractor, and it never fails to remind me.

I think the computer is ideal for homeowner saws, but it'd be nice if they left the pro saws alone. It would be interesting to know what the limits of the adjustments are. For example, will it compensate for a muffler mod? Will it be able to take advantage of trimmed limiters? What about a ported saw?

Mods are dependent on being able to manipulate the computer. If there is no interface to make changes to the computer (simple, disposable replace them when they crap-out units) then there will likely be no modding potenital...

Does anyone know right now if the computer on the 280/441 and its program can be adjusted?

Wild Knight,

I think you have exposed the truth behind the computer control of Chainsaws with your questions.

The EPA and Governments don't want anything to change to their mandates once the saw leaves the manufacturer until it's useful life is used up. It is all about control, like they try to control everything else in our lives.

The costs involved to reprogram or re-chip a saw could be prohibitive. Would you spend 50% more on a saw just to mod it "your way?" I wouldn't, most won't. Adding another say $300 to a MS441 C-M just don't make sense.

If you like being able to mod your own saw to your own tastes I would suggest begin buying good quality "AS NEW" saws now and put a couple away. If you don't mind the new Obama/World Order saws, it don't matter.

At my age a few more will do it for me, then sit back, have a brew, and watch the change come in....

:cheers:

i know when JD put the electronics on the skidders all hell broke loose with them.

can't say i am in any hurry to run out and bout a electronic controlled saw any time soon. i got a decade and a half old 044 that runs just fine. no body has been in the case--seems like i put a ring in it about 5 years or so ago--not bad for a mechanical saw-- cost about $10 and an hours work. :greenchainsaw:

Back