Someone please talk me out of a 660!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattw24

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a 391 currently and cut firewood for my home. I burn 5-9 cords per year. I live on a farm and the 391 has always done the trick, however, I would really like to get a 660 just to say I have one and you never know! That being said I imagine it would be under used and I may regret the purchase. Any thoughts on saving me $1200!

"Someone please talk me out of a 660!"

I have a 391 currently and cut firewood for my home. I burn 5-9 cords per year. I live on a farm and the 391 has always done the trick, however, I would really like to get a 660 just to say I have one and you never know! That being said I imagine it would be under used and I may regret the purchase. Any thoughts on saving me $1200!

I'll do my best.........

Oh.....here I thought this was my lucky day! I thought with a few 'cleaver' words I would have a MS660! But....but....but.....but.....but

Looks like Brad got you covered!

Ok, I'll try. Only because you'd be better off with a 460 or 441C:)

I agree with Brad.I also wanted a 660 for a while,but decided it was too much saw for what I do.About the biggest trees near me for firewood are about 24" and under.Nothing against the 660,460,441 all good saws,but I went the budget route and had fun finding a used HD Makita 6401 and turning into a 79cc for about $450.Not trying to start a brand war,just letting you know what I did.

Ill talk you out of a 660....

[video]http://www.youtube.com/user/blsnelling#p/u/4/3vT4DeVoyd0[/video]

:hmm3grin2orange:

Hi Matt:

Now I ain't rich. I gotta watch my pennies pretty close. I sometimes catch myself in a "make me feel good" purchase. And sometimes I succumb to it. Marketers count on this. But I've found that if I just wait a few days, the urge to buy that certain thing usually just goes away. You don't "need" a new saw. You just "want" a new saw. And that's cool, if you can afford it. But think about this. How else could you spend that $1200? What other toys tickle your fancy? Or, what kind of nice gift/surprise could you get for your wife? Now THAT would get you lots of brownie points! And doesn't she deserve it?

My girlfriend and I are both 66. I'm into biking. She's never ridden a bike. I wanted a new bike, but used the money to buy her a really nice new 27 speed bike instead. Then I taught her how to ride it. She's blind in one eye and a cancer survivor. Just try going 10 minutes with one eye closed. We've spent many a fine summers day on rural back roads and forest trails. She just loves it! She says I took her from lipstick back to crayons.

If you're gonna spend that money instead of saving it, something for your wife gets my vote. You have the opportunity to turn that "make me feel good" thing in to something much more meaningful. I'm assuming you're married. If you're not, heck, then just get the 660 and have fun with that puppy. But that "make me feel good" thing will still come back to haunt you again, and again, and again. Just gotta learn to control it a bit. (I'm still working on that.)

Don <><

attachment.php

Last edited:
I am with Brad on this one MS460 is perfect overkill for firewood. Just enough to take the edge off.

You could always have it sent out to be ported as well.

460 will pull a 28" bar all day long and up to a 32. Mine with muffler mod pulls the 28" bar with an 8 pin sprocket just fine. I am thinking often of sending it out to be ported.

Also a 3/4 wrap handle is very handy as well. I really like mine.

So you are talked out of the 660 and are buying the 460 then right:hmm3grin2orange:

Just want to make sure everyone got you covered

I usually cut with my 361, but occasionally use my buddies 660. That saw gets heavy, made me start looking at 460's.

If you have a need for it, then just go get it. What the heck... its only money.

But if you don't need it, $1200 buys you a pretty nice varmint rifle. :msp_smile: Being on the farm, maybe you have a groundhog problem?

Heres my attempt at talking you out of a MS660. (and into an 066)

You could save yourself $600 and buy a used 066 and have basically the same saw for half the money.

There will probably never be a time in my life where I actually "need" my 066, but I sure do love running it. It brings a certain joy to me that running my smaller saws just can't create.

I don't think theres anything wrong with buying something to have fun with that makes you happy so long as you are paying your bills, especially if its a useful tool.
I bet some of my co-workers in the office spend as much on Starbucks every year as an 066 costs.

Yeah it's heavy. I just look at the extra weight as exercise. Use it enough and your muscles will adjust. :D

If a 391 gets the job done, I think you'll be much happier with a 70cc class saw. They turn more RPMs and have plenty of power for what you're cutting. They're a lot lighter too.

Better yet, buy the ported 372XPW in the Classifieds.

Yes, and yes...then sell the 391 and buy a 50cc saw for limbing.

I have an...

046 and an 066. The 046 is my favorite saw. I do use the 066 for milling lumber though. Heck, I should just get rid of all my little saws cause I never use them. In fact, I may buy another one(460) just in case this one gets ripped off or something stupid like getting run over. Get a 460 you won't regret it. Never liked the huskies though I know they are good saws. I like what Don said too can't go wrong there either.

Back