Someone please talk me out of a 660!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I think for the time being I'm talked into a 460! (I'll end up spending some coin no matter what!) Lots of great comments from everyone and I appreciate them all! I knew the answer to my own question but sometimes better to hear from someone else!

I would make a great dad to it! We could run through the woods looking for all the big trees to cut, only the highest quality, large diameter hardwood. I promise to clean it after every cutting session, bring plenty of friends for it to be close to. The 064s and 044s won't be allowed to call it names or throw undersized trees its direction. I'll use only premium fuel and synthetic oil in the tank. Tune-up the carb everytime I cut with it.....

How am I doing so far????? Talked you out of it yet...
I'll pay the shipping fee.....

I would make a great dad to it! We could run through the woods looking for all the big trees to cut, only the highest quality, large diameter hardwood. I promise to clean it after every cutting session, bring plenty of friends for it to be close to. The 064s and 044s won't be allowed to call it names or throw undersized trees its direction. I'll use only premium fuel and synthetic oil in the tank. Tune-up the carb everytime I cut with it.....

How am I doing so far????? Talked you out of it yet...
I'll pay the shipping fee.....

You have a deal! :msp_thumbsup:

I just cut firewood to fed my OWB.....and got a hankering to add a 660 to the 192T and 361 that I had.....it seemed like the perfect trio. I watched eBay and found a 660 that was nearly new and a lot less money than a new one.

But then I got a used 260 and ended up using it more that the 360........and the 660 just sat and took up space most of the year as the 361 could handle most of the bigger trees I would get occasionally. The end result is that I sold the 361 and 660 and bought a 460 to replace them both. I have achieved "my" perfect trio of a 192T with a 12" bar, 260 with a 16' bar and 460 with a 20" and 32" bar.

I did enjoy owning the 660 for a bit - and as I got a good deal on a used used one I didn't lose much money on it when I sold it. I may someday do the same with an 084 or 880........I don't need one permanently but it might be fun to have around the house for a year!

Watch around and pick up a good used 660 - buy a nice one as they will be easier to sell when the time comes.

i have the 660 and the 460 ,i grab the 460 90% of the time 70cc class great all around saw size

I agree with a couple other posters that you should really be looking for a used 046/460 or 066/660. If you buy it right, you can play with it and bail out if it isn't making you all that excited anymore. If you buy a new saw that is fine if you know you will be using it for years and years. Selling a new saw after it isn't "new" anymore is going to beat you up in the wallet area. I have a 660 and a late model 066. Both are in good condition and I have about $1000 total in the two. ($600 + $400)

In reality, you probably don't need another saw at all but my guess is that MOST on this site have quit trying to rationalize saw purchases. If it is a hobby you enjoy, that isn't any worse than spending $2000 on remote controlled airplanes or $5000 on a train set in the basement. And I bet many here have other "vices" besides saws. For instance I have three tractors and live on 3.3 acres. Not a need, just happens. Start talking about buying an antique fire engine and then just "settle" for another chainsaw instead...

If you have a need for it, then just go get it. What the heck... its only money.

But if you don't need it, $1200 buys you a pretty nice varmint rifle. :msp_smile: Being on the farm, maybe you have a groundhog problem?

Rifles, oh boy, let's not try to explain to the wife why 6 rifles aren't enough and a 7th must be added, sigh.... It's an investment is the only explanation I can use now as I have quite an extensive range of calibers for the assorted critters we deal with. Always wanted a .460 Weatherby Magnum though... I just counted and I actually have 10 rifles, but....

I have a 391 currently and cut firewood for my home. I burn 5-9 cords per year. I live on a farm and the 391 has always done the trick, however, I would really like to get a 660 just to say I have one and you never know! That being said I imagine it would be under used and I may regret the purchase. Any thoughts on saving me $1200!

No thoughts, but an idea. don't let any of us tell you what to do. Be a man, stand up to your wife. Bring home not only a 660, but TWO of them!!! Keep one as a base sample and send the other off to be 'touched up' by one of our reputable 'touchers' (sounds perverse, like a stalker). If you can't keep the peace at home, sell the stock one and compromise:biggrin:

In reality, you probably don't need another saw at all but my guess is that MOST on this site have quit trying to rationalize saw purchases. If it is a hobby you enjoy, that isn't any worse than spending $2000 on remote controlled airplanes or $5000 on a train set in the basement. And I bet many here have other "vices" besides saws. For instance I have three tractors and live on 3.3 acres. Not a need, just happens. Start talking about buying an antique fire engine and then just "settle" for another chainsaw instead...

BINGO. Rationalize, I never try it, hasn't got me anywhere. Simply tell the wife when you plan on obtaining said item. Never have gone over the deep end and things continue to go smoothly....I think.

Shea

I have a lot of saws for firewood cutting and I tend to use them all except the 66's. There just isn't much around here that a 460 can't handle.
I have 35 saws to choose from and almost always grab the 16" MS200 rear handle and a 28" 460.

I would like to get a backup MS200 rear handle saw, but they are awefully hard to come by on the used market. Guess I'll HAVE to buy a new one.:msp_smile:

I have a lot of saws for firewood cutting and I tend to use them all except the 66's. There just isn't much around here that a 460 can't handle.
I have 35 saws to choose from and almost always grab the 16" MS200 rear handle and a 28" 460.

I would like to get a backup MS200 rear handle saw, but they are awefully hard to come by on the used market. Guess I'll HAVE to buy a new one.:msp_smile:

Thats an incredible sig Tony. 4 066's? Wow.

$1239.00 including Tax

I have a 391 currently and cut firewood for my home. I burn 5-9 cords per year. I live on a farm and the 391 has always done the trick, however, I would really like to get a 660 just to say I have one and you never know! That being said I imagine it would be under used and I may regret the purchase. Any thoughts on saving me $1200!

If you look around, you can still find the MS660 with old type filler caps. Hope this helps.

I hear you on the tractor part, been there done that, and the saws just seem to follow. :bang:

Rifles, oh boy, let's not try to explain to the wife why 6 rifles aren't enough and a 7th must be added, sigh.... It's an investment is the only explanation I can use now as I have quite an extensive range of calibers for the assorted critters we deal with. Always wanted a .460 Weatherby Magnum though... I just counted and I actually have 10 rifles, but....

Gah your just lucky you don't have it bad!!! I stopped counting after 50 many of which are still in the box

ill take one of those flip cap 660's if they are out or is that a 661 ?

Keep hanging out here, and that $1200 will seem like a small amount :msp_rolleyes:
I came here less than four years ago looking for some advice . I was happy with my 044 and 346 oe. I now have added a 372, 390, and 562 xp to the list . AND , the 390 was just sent out for porting with the 372,and346 to follow . So, just give in to your urges.... Resistance is futile . :rock:

You might as well pony up and get the 660 now. If you settle for a 70cc, you're always gonna second guess your decision and probably wind up getting one down the road. Especially if you hang around this site.

MS660, 24" bar, semi chisel chain, DP muffler cover.:msp_thumbup:

Latest posts

Back