Soren Eriksson with his 6 point limbing technique

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This truck just pulled into the shop across the street from mine......I'm not exaggerating when I say these sticks are a bit bigger than most coming to town right now.

We're getting a bit off topic from the origins of this thread, but it's interesting to see what is considered merchantable timber as times change.

IMG_6761.jpg

Damn, that's a bummerino man, peel the bark and call it a #2 pencil
around here they have lately been pulling in some monster assed Yellow Pine, I saw a load 2 weeks ago that was 4 logs, it kindof gets you excited when you see that big stuff coming into town

Damn, that's a bummerino man, peel the bark and call it a #2 pencil
around here they have lately been pulling in some monster assed Yellow Pine, I saw a load 2 weeks ago that was 4 logs, it kindof gets you excited when you see that big stuff coming into town

Yep....When I see the odd nice load coming in heading to the plywood plant, I think "Wow! That's a sweet pile of logs".

It's hard to believe that just one of our mills here puts out 500,000 board feet of lumber each day from those skinny logs!:msp_ohmy:

Many of the mills local to me where I was in Oregon wold not take trees over 32". They were tooled up for 12-32" or so. Starfire south of Eugene supposedly can take larger wood. I am sure there's plenty of mills out there that can. But you just don't see so much big stuff off of 'farms'. One of the areas logged near the ranch in oregon I was at had dozens of 30-45" stumps, though. That was ~2 years ago. That was an adjacent ranchers property. I cut many of the trees myself on another bid he had.

You see a lot of small trees taken in Europe that are softwoods because they are culls. They take them out to let the hardwoods grow, or they take certain hardwoods out to let the Oak or beech grow. They then use the wood for firewood, pulp, laminates, small furnishings, handles, wooden utensils, etc. The main client we had for our larger Beech was Ikea, or a supplier for Ikea. I personally have probably cut a couple hundred cords or more for Ikea myself.

In the PNW we are seeing some beetle and rot the last couple years. They are clearing huge stands of trees of all sizes, many of which are small.

Here's a pic of the typical truck I saw in NW Oregon

medium.jpg

that shot looks familiar.

that shot looks familiar.

It should, that's not an hour away from ya ;)

As for that video, 'Huggning inför dikning'; I thought the guy was limbing at a rather relaxed rate. With my ported Echo and 20" bar I could easily peel off 3' at a time on a tree like that per swipe. I had a site we were thinning for ecological reasons where I had a back track following me and waiting on me to drop trees for it. You haven't felt pressure until you have machinery waiting on ya. The area I was in was so thick the back track had to pull the trees off of each other and occasionally me. Once I got going, the backtrack was busy just trying to reach me and find somewhere to place the trees.

As for the forestry work, I think most folks not coming to terms with it are stuck on the logging thing. We also do forestry work in this country, as do most other countries. This means management of resources - deciding which trees stay or go, what sort of canopy you want, erosion prevention, growth improvement, regeneration or establishment, etc etc.

Silviculture

I had many sites where I simply did a quick thinning - this has nothing to do with logging(and some of the time we left the trees on site):

Ecological thinning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Forestry - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now here's something folks on neither side of the logging/ecology debate know much about(at least on this forum, or youtube) ;) :

Carbon Sequestration - harvesting wood so that the carbon it builds up is trapped. A tree is mostly made of carbon, which is gets from the air - a tree is made out of thin air.
Using the tree for furniture, building, veneer, etc, traps the carbon it has collected and reduces the amount of carbon build up/green house gases in the environment by trapping it. You then plant more trees which, in turn, gather more green house gases from the environment. Forestry management done right, improves the environment on many levels.

However, when you burn that tree for firewood, you are releasing that carbon back in to the environment(along with a few other chemicals...)

I posted that vid in the nerve damage from extended saw use thread;

http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/188239.htm

I think it has to be taken in context. That thread is full of stories of guys with fused disks, carpal tunnel, multiple surgeries, loss of grip, loss of feeling, etc etc. Running saws (especially big saws) full time 5 or 7 days a week for years on end is going to do things to your body that are well beyond 'suck it up and carry on'. Like most guys who run saws full time I put a lot of abuse on my body and mask the damage with pain killers, booze and humor. The thread was discussing gloves, AV and other ways to reduce the impact of vibration. Here's the post I put with the vid.

So no surprises to see plenty of people saying its rubbish and wont work for their situation. That's fine, you guys just carry on as you do ;-)

For others who are interested in finding ways to work that put less stress on your body, you can probably adapt a few of the techniques.

For myself, I'm a full time climber and do residential removals and pruning. We see a different species every day, so no real 'rhythm' can be picked up. Very rarely can we drop, it's mostly climb and piece out. Add to that my groundies do all the limbing and bucking and I'm up in the tree most of the time anyway. But I still try to use some of these techniques. I start by using the smallest lightest saw I can, with the shortest bar. I try to keep my saw/bar combos ballanced at the handle because I find that is less work than nose heavy. not much you can do with 3'+ bars though, but I did just order a couple bigger ES lite bars from the states which may help.

I only get a couple years out of a saw generally because they are all run a lot. The cost of a saw isn't that big in the bigger picture for most tree companies, and a day off the job with injuries will likely lose you more than the cost of a new saw anyway. If you're off for a week or a month due to sprains, well.... I'd rather throw a saw away than hurt myself. Scratching them only hurts the first time.

I do try to carry the weight of the saw on my leg or on the tree where possible, especially with bigger saws. I try to consider position when laying out the tree if there is anything to be gained there. Only rarely on trees like norfolk island pines, or cedars, do I get to use that '6 point' thing, but I dont whizz along at that speed. I'm not out to break any records. I do use that basic sequence a lot to try to not have to lift the saw too much, and let the motion of the saw move it on to the next cut, use the inertia of the engine to lift. I do let the nose skid up the bark to lift bigger saws on bigger trees, 5'-6' is about as big as I get to deal with on a semi regular basis. I dont have any bars over 3'.

From what I understand, this technique is taught all over europe where forest workers serve a 2 year apprenticeship. I think they get a lot better training that our guys in aus do, we do a few 2 day courses and then learn from our mistakes and watching others. The technique is obviously suited to their woods, but there's something to learn there for us. Most injuries are the result of overstraining, and I know I can always do to use less energy to get the same job done.

Shaun

As said, this is the technique we teach in Europe (for appropriate trees of course.). When I learned lumbering in the 90's, I was taught to let the log and the leg carry the weight of the saw. We don't have specific limbing saws. If I cut a tree with my 440, I'm not going to stop it, put it down, grab a 260, start it, and finally start limbing. This is a technique I was taught and, 20 years later, I'm the one teaching it... Fast, efficient, and not too harsh on the body.

PS: When I was lumbering in Canada, I used the same technique. No EU-NA stereotypes here....

Wow...
Some parts of that are kind of good and make you think about being more efficient, but in other ways it makes you think about what a waste of time the whole effort is. 5" tops for stud wood, what do you get one or 2 4x2's out of that? And they must both have the pith in them too... can't hardly classify as dimensionally stable lumbar and would be prone to every defect there is :-(

Sad truth I guess is that most of that stuff ends up as pulp/MDF/ply and probably goes into ikea furniture that will just get thrown out in a couple years anyway. The modern composite beams you can kind of see a point in, but the rest of it is mostly rubbish. Cant be recycled or even burnt when it goes because of all the chemicals and crap it it. What happened to building things that lasted a long time? My bed is made of old growth timber, it's 80 years old. Probably got another 100 years in it at least. If we built stuff that way, we wouldnt have to harvest so much, and we could grow decent trees. Whenever I build anything of timber I always buy recycled. I can get hardwood 4x2's that are 100 years old pulled out of old buildings and have 10 or more growth rings to the inch. They've done all the moving they're going to do. The kicker is you can buy this stuff for less than the cost of new pine :msp_unsure: If I had $$$ I'd be buying up old timber because there aint no more where that came from.

Shaun

Canada needs not worry about the quality of their 2x4's: most of them are exported to the Us anyways...

BTW, Japanese are starting to appreciate those small black spruce trees: Slow growth, harder wood...

Canada needs not worry about the quality of their 2x4's: most of them are exported to the Us anyways...

BTW, Japanese are starting to appreciate those small black spruce trees: Slow growth, harder wood...

Here in Nova Scotia our premium lumber gets shipped out to market , the heart wood lumber is stamped #1 and sold here along with the out of province wood that the box store import and sell us .
I've had 2x6's delivered that had bark on 4 edges , it could have made a 2x4 with bark on 2 edges :msp_mad: .

..... I'm the one teaching it... Fast, efficient, and not too harsh on the body.

PS: When I was lumbering in Canada, I used the same technique. No EU-NA stereotypes here....

If you come back to Canada , give me a call , I could use a lesson or two .
Always willing to learn new tricks because I'm not old LOL .

Here in Nova Scotia our premium lumber gets shipped out to market , the heart wood lumber is stamped #1 and sold here along with the out of province wood that the box store import and sell us .
I've had 2x6's delivered that had bark on 4 edges , it could have made a 2x4 with bark on 2 edges :msp_mad: .

Same on this side of the country.....All the good quality lumber leaves for export and the crap stays here and is sold locally. It's frustrating!:msp_mad:

We have a few smaller private mills that produce some nice lumber if you can get your hands on it but some is unstamped so building issues may pop up if permits are required .
I've been behind many loads of beautiful saw logs but never seen it in a store .

If you come back to Canada , give me a call , I could use a lesson or two .
Always willing to learn new tricks because I'm not old LOL .

I sure hope to return to Canada one day. Right now, I spend all my money on building my house. I sure noticed 2x6 were of poor quality in Canada. Now that I have to pay 14 Euros for a 2x6 , I would rather get Canadian wood... I could make furniture out of European 2x6. But they are so expensive...

Most guys dont last too long at it. I lasted a season, but the pay was so small i was living in a tent and drinking home brew. You can buy a whole sheep carcass for about $50 direct from farmers which gives you meet for breakfast lunch and dinner for 2 guys for a week. Then we ended up having to steal vegetables from farms when we could.

In the off season guys either go to the knifeworks and butcher meat, plant trees, or go to jail. A lot go to jail. Lunch for about half the guys I worked with was crystal meth. Those guys were doing 250 trees a day to my 120.

Shaun

Yep....When I see the odd nice load coming in heading to the plywood plant, I think "Wow! That's a sweet pile of logs".

It's hard to believe that just one of our mills here puts out 500,000 board feet of lumber each day from those skinny logs!:msp_ohmy:

With a good scrag mill, it'd blow your mind how quick you can spit out lumber from 5" logs.

Yeah, it's just kindof depressing to see a logging truck roll up with 200 logs on it

Tell me about it! Try being the rigging rat, working to make your load count, hooking in that stuff. :msp_thumbdn:

Dem days when you're in the juice sure are nice.

Tell me about it! Try being the rigging rat, working to make your load count, hooking in that stuff. :msp_thumbdn:

Dem days when you're in the juice sure are nice.

LOL!
Nate Dog dry humpin a 3 footer to reach the choker mouse on the other side :rock::rock:

I got one lined out for next spring where we better grow handlebar moustaches and bring a damn dray horse for the picture! and as soon as the road's good enough I'ma pick yer ass up and we're gonna go dump it

Last edited:
LOL!
Nate Dog dry humpin a 3 footer to reach the choker mouse on the other side :rock::rock:

I got one lined out for next spring where we better grow handlebar moustaches and bring a damn dray horse for the picture! and as soon as the road's good enough I'ma pick yer ass up and we're gonna go dump it

gone are the days of setting a bridle with bull chokers.

Latest posts

Back