Southern California GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did a ride on street bikes through Los Padres NF last weekend and the gate to the cutting area where we tried to meet last fall was still closed.

Olyeller

Hi! Playing with your MS260 and 034 Super, Rick's Kita/Dolmars and the infamous FrankenHusky at the fall GTG was lots of fun. I will be sure to bring my earmuffs, PPE and 2 saws to the next GTG.

I've been wanting to go outdoors to make big clouds of smoke with my .45 and .50 caliber muzzleloaders. Its been cloudy, cold and downright miserable here in the central Santa Lucia range.

Im taking leave may 26th-jun28th. I got a nice piece of land in Norcal. I am going to go dig for gold again as I do every year . Got alot of timber to come down too. Its about 5-6 hours from the LA area . Id do a GTG there sometime. We could all pan for gold , and shoot up the place. Its all surounded by BLM land .

Im taking leave may 26th-jun28th. I got a nice piece of land in Norcal. I am going to go dig for gold again as I do every year . Got alot of timber to come down too. Its about 5-6 hours from the LA area . Id do a GTG there sometime. We could all pan for gold , and shoot up the place. Its all surounded by BLM land .

Hey johndirt, sounds like fun...anytime we can bring chainsaws, guns and friends together it's good...:cheers:

Amen brother Bounty.

:cheers: I dig it when people say mi casa es tu casa.

I'll bring two piped saws. I broke down the 365 Special today to start working on the tuned pipe. I should have it done before the GTG.

Jimmy, bring ear muffs for sure:cheers:

My place is an old mining camp south east of Sacremento. Still got the stamp mill and everything. I invite folks up there all the time. but most don't do the living with no city power or plumbed piping thing. I grew up out there so I don't mind a bit. I just got a like new 395xpw yesterday 03 model with only 4 tanks of gas through it supposedly, looks new. Anyone here is welcome. Can't really hurt nuthin but yerself if you fall off a cliff. haha.

My place is an old mining camp south east of Sacremento. Still got the stamp mill and everything. I invite folks up there all the time. but most don't do the living with no city power or plumbed piping thing. I grew up out there so I don't mind a bit. I just got a like new 395xpw yesterday 03 model with only 4 tanks of gas through it supposedly, looks new. Anyone here is welcome. Can't really hurt nuthin but yerself if you fall off a cliff. haha.

We might be working down that way while you're on leave. We have three timber sales planned in that area but I don't know when they'll start. I'm living in Grass Valley most of the time so maybe I could get down there on a week-end.

And..Congratulations on getting married!

That area sounds familiar. My son lives in Weimar.

Don't forget to be alert for rattlesnakes. Rattlers are plentiful around there. They start emerging from their dens about this time of year. When they do, they are plenty mean and ornery. It wouldn't hurt to have a shotgun close at hand.

My great grandfather d. 1908 is buried near Valley Springs in Calaveras County. He was a blacksmith and miner who prospected for gold there. He came to California from Texas with 2 brothers about 1900. All 3 brothers were veterans of the First Texas Calvary, CSA. One of his brothers purchased 160 acres south of the New Hogan dam. It was called the Adobe Ranch and the Calaveras River and Crystle Creek (then Rocky Creek) ran thru it. The other brother, a former Texas Ranger, owned 2 lots and a store in Valley Springs. My great grandfather had found gold on the Adobe Ranch when he was killed under suspicious circumstances at his stone cabin there.

I want to visit the Historical Society in San Andreas, see if I can find the Adobe Ranch and see what records I can find.

Last edited:
Thanks Bob you are more than welcome anytime.
I go through Valleysprings to get to my place . I also heard that there were pics of the mining operation in full swing on my property In San Andrea's at the Historical Society. That would be very cool to have in deed.

I dug the stamps from the 5 stamp mill out of the river last year. and a big nugget that came from the same spot.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Thanks Bob you are more than welcome anytime.
I go through Valleysprings to get to my place . I also heard that there were pics of the mining operation in full swing on my property In San Andrea's at the Historical Society. That would be very cool to have in deed.

I dug the stamps from the 5 stamp mill out of the river last year. and a big nugget that came from the same spot.

attachment.php

attachment.php

That nugget is cool!!! I have county records, deeds, etc. on the Adobe Ranch. The Historical Society in San Andreas has the gold scale used by my great grandfather and his brothers. My great grandfather is buried in the Wheat Family Cemetery at Double Springs. Lots of interesting history around that area.

DOUBLE SPRINGS CEMETERY
Calaveras County, California
http://www.angelfire.com/ga4/cemeterykid3/

There is all kinds of cool oddball stuff in that area. Lot of history for sure. Everytime I go up to my place and get the dredge goin I find some neat artifacts . Lots of old glass bottles and an occasional can buried in the hillside where the miners tossed all their garbage. I have 16 mines as well, find some neat stuff in there too.

I just called the ranger's office and they mentioned that next week they'll be sending off some heads to survey and check out the trails on the lower elevations to make sure there are no hazards.

I haven't been up there, but Bounty can tell us what the higher elevations look like as far as snow.

I'm guessing after May 15th.

I just called the ranger's office and they mentioned that next week they'll be sending off some heads to survey and check out the trails on the lower elevations to make sure there are no hazards.

I haven't been up there, but Bounty can tell us what the higher elevations look like as far as snow.

I'm guessing after May 15th.

Last week I installed 4 new ST 8-ply tires on my 22" Alpenlite fifth wheel. The old tires looked brand new on the outside but they were 10 years old.

I need directions to the dispersed camping area from where the pie plate was posted last year. Will I need a campfire permit?

:hmm3grin2orange:

Jimmy! You need to take one of those tours. You need to be scared straight! LOL.

Yes, you need a permit for a campfire.

Bounty, we should have it where we met or close by?? That was a good place. Plenty of shade.

:hmm3grin2orange:

Jimmy! You need to take one of those tours. You need to be scared straight! LOL.

Yes, you need a permit for a campfire.

Bounty, we should have it where we met or close by?? That was a good place. Plenty of shade.
:cheers:
Long Beach, Lynwood, Inglewood and Compton are scary enough. If the bus tours can make a buck or two from touristas with too much free time and money on their hands, all power to the tour operators.

I will likely be using a gas stove, lantern and grill. I probably won't be making a smoky campfire. I will also be packing heat for insurance, so to speak.

Last edited:
:

Yo CHEVY,

Where we met last year would be a great place...plenty of camping space and Jimmy should have no problem getting the 5th wheel in there. There's plenty of wood to cut too...

But shade may not be needed just yet...last night we got MORE DANG SNOW! :mad:

Temps are in the low 20s and there's a 20 - 30 mph wind blow'in...BRRRRRR!

Bounty Hunter bro (BH Productions:greenchainsaw:) you're right. It was looking like rain yesterday with some cold mixed in. So I figure there was more coming your way.

It's looking like June. This time of year they get busy. Hopefuly they can send out some heads soon to scope out the lower trails. Next week is a no go for them probably.

Jimmy won't have a problem at all, you're right. Have you finished off that big stick that was there? Some of us can get there early and cut up some big rounds and haul them back to the campsite. There's one down in the valley that was the size of the one that was there. Maybe it's gone, though? At any rate, there is an abundance for GTG wood. If more members show up, we're going to need more sticks.

Bounty Hunter bro (BH Productions:greenchainsaw:) you're right. It was looking like rain yesterday with some cold mixed in. So I figure there was more coming your way.

It's looking like June. This time of year they get busy. Hopefuly they can send out some heads soon to scope out the lower trails. Next week is a no go for them probably.

Jimmy won't have a problem at all, you're right. Have you finished off that big stick that was there? Some of us can get there early and cut up some big rounds and haul them back to the campsite. There's one down in the valley that was the size of the one that was there. Maybe it's gone, though? At any rate, there is an abundance for GTG wood. If more members show up, we're going to need more sticks.

Hey You All,
I just talked to Ranger Rick (yeah, that's his real name) and he said the gates should be open this coming Saturday (5-29-10).
"YYYYYYYYYYAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" :clap::clap::clap:
There's still a lot of big wood out there, and we can certainly drag some sticks and rounds to the unimproved campsite we eyeballed last year.

I plan to do some recon this weekend, he said theres a bunch more big wood down the hill from there.

So stay tuned Brothers and Sisters, we might just have a shot at an awesome So Cal GTG! :cheers:

BUT...on the downside...we can't wait too long either...If it gets hot and dry, Smokey Bear will say the fire danger is VERY HIGH or EXTREME, and it's no more chainsaws in the forest...:cry:

Here We Go!

Good deal bro. I called Sunday and the woman said things were not looking good for memorial weekend. But I knew I should have waited for Slick Rick:cheers: He's a good guy.

Alright, my days are free after next weekend. I might head out Saturday too, so I might see you there Bounty as I want to run the 7901 some.

I agree, let's do this! I can smell the two stroke smoke, and the food, and the cerveza:cheers:

Back