Southern California GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks great. I should bring my dirt bike too! Just to clarify....I need an adventure pass, which I can get in Frazier Park I assume, but do I need a firewood permit for a truck bed of wood? Its not a matter of money, I would gladly split the cost if I could cut under someone elses permit. Here in the Angeles Forest getting a permit is a total F'ing PITA requiring an appt, the blessing of the pope, etc. Thanks.

Your pics look like you were heading south from I-5 on Hungry Valley Road. Then you took a right turn onto Alamo Mtn Road heading east to Dutchman Flat CG.

Other than being bumpy, those roads seem to be plenty ok for a 22' fifth wheel behind a full size pickup.

I see lots of downed wood up there.

Does California charge a fee for driving thru the state rec area?

Last edited:
Hank, there are nice trails up there. You have to ride out of Dutchman, but it's all good. You should try the infamous Miller Jeep Trail:cheers:

When you get to this point, you can either go left or right. Right, obviously, is the shortest rout. So...

You could do Le Mans and ride on the rim up top. Best time wins a saw:greenchainsaw:

On the wood, It's your call. It's probably best if you get a permit, only because cutting along might not be a problem, but taking the wood out might, if you run into a ranger. He'll PROBABLY ask for a permit. However, he may not. It's up to you bro.

I hear you on the North end of Angeles (Mojave district) for a permit. Having to make an appointment is a drag. The River district (south end of Angeles that burned in the station fire) would give us keys to the gates to get through. Those were the days:cry:

Jimmy, I'm traveling North on the 5. And yes, make a right. There are no turns within Hungry Valley, except that one that takes you to the National Forest. At that point, you'll be at a T in the road. And no, you do not have to pay the State fee's as you're going to the National Forest and your golden pass will take care of that. Show them that or the wood cutting permit.

Just for reference, some of those pictures I took as I was trailing out.

I forgot to mention, yes, there is an abundance of timber up there. Some big rounds on a bend right off the road. Will make great GTG wood!!! No oak though. Some big oaks that were gone due to the fire, but they were not felled. 7901 felt good up there. Didn't tune it. Ran rich of course.

If you have no pass or permit, 5 bucks gets you a day pass. Could buy more days if needed.

Here We Goooogh!

Adventure pass likely can be bought at any liquor store in Frazier I'm guessing. But where would I go for the firewood permit, on a Saturday? ANF is an office open Mon-Fri and they want to know EXACTLY where you are cutting wood. Could I just say Dutchman campground?

Cool thanks Chev. Now if I could find a place that has the spark arrestor screen and can deliver it in 3 business days. Baileys is letting me down, not to mention the 10 bucks they want to send a 40 cent envelope with a screen in to me. Damn it sucks not having a decent dealer around here.

Firewood Permits

Looks great. I should bring my dirt bike too! Just to clarify....I need an adventure pass, which I can get in Frazier Park I assume, but do I need a firewood permit for a truck bed of wood? Its not a matter of money, I would gladly split the cost if I could cut under someone elses permit. Here in the Angeles Forest getting a permit is a total F'ing PITA requiring an appt, the blessing of the pope, etc. Thanks.

According to the following News and Events announcement on the USFS website; In April 2009, the Los Pinos District of the Los Padres NF was actually urging people to come the Grade Valley area and cut downed firewood.

Los Padres National Forest
News & Events

Forest Service Announces Bargain Firewood Permits

Date: Apr 13, 2009
Andrew Madsen, (805) 961-5759

Date: April 13, 2009

The Forest Service will offer a special reduced rate on firewood permits to encourage the public to remove dead and down wood along the Grade Valley road, 7N03. Permits to cut firewood in that area will be sold for the special rate of $30 for 4 cords while supplies last. Purchasers will be allowed up to 60 days to use their Grade Valley firewood permit.

Normally firewood permits cost $25 for 2 cords and are limited to 30 days. Permits may be purchased at the Chuchupate Ranger Station at 34580 Lockwood Valley Road.

Over the winter, Forest Service crews dropped dead trees along the shoulders of the Grade Valley road. The trees were killed in the Day Fire of 2006 and represented a hazard to travel until they were put on the ground. Both pinyon and Jeffrey pine firewood are available.

Grade Valley road was closed to the public throughout the winter because of snow and adverse road conditions but is expected to be open by Saturday, April 18, 2009. The road begins at the southwest end of Lockwood Valley and is about 11 miles long, terminating at Mutau Flat.

"Restoring the damage from the Day Fire has been a huge job," said District Ranger Tom Kuekes. "The public can help us clean up this wood so it doesn't contribute to a future wildfire, and get a bargain in the process."

Ranger Kuekes also noted that now is a great time to cut firewood to be ready for next winter, before high fire danger results in no-cutting days when the weather gets hotter and drier.

Visitors are encouraged to contact the Mt. Pinos Ranger District with questions on current conditions by calling (661) 245-3731.
http://fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsint...ame=Los Padres National Forest- News & Events

Last edited:
"Here we goooogh! I'm tellin ya.":cheers:

Nice pics CHEVY...Alamo is looking pretty good, especially with some nice wood right on the ground there at Dutchman.

Grade Valley is still closed as of yesterday...we motored by on our scoots, on the way to the 33 hwy. My guess is they still havent got the cattle out yet, which they pasture there over the winter and spring.
Ranger Rick says another two weeks, which sounds about right...they don't even have the corral set up for the cattle yet.

So looks like Dutchman on the weekend of June 5th and 6th Brothers and Sisters...Who all is Ready to Rumble? :chainsaw:

Yeah I saw that notice too last year about the burned up pine trees at half price. The USFS acts like its a frigggin priviledge for tax paying citizens to come and cut DOWN AND DEAD, dried out burned up wood....Whoopie!!!
Will they let me wash and polish their trucks too for free?
I'm a maybe now. Baileys let me down, I just know if I whip out the 394 without a sparkscreen Ranger Rick will show up within 5 minutes.
Also the boat needs a starter, steering cable and misc work, plus the usual trailer and truck prep I swear vacations are more work than staying at home and going to work. May have to come up on Sunday. Still, I would love to get some saw time in. And meet and run some real saws, which would only make my CAD worse....check back in tomorrow or Thursday...

Hank

Yeah I saw that notice too last year about the burned up pine trees at half price. The USFS acts like its a frigggin priviledge for tax paying citizens to come and cut DOWN AND DEAD, dried out burned up wood....Whoopie!!!
Will they let me wash and polish their trucks too for free?
Hank

Hey HG,
Yep...Especially since their guys get to fun part...falling the trees! I would just LOOOOOOOVE to drop a 200' Jeffery Pine (And yes...I have considered sneaking into a remote canyon and bagging one...but my wife and familia would know, and our son is like our own private Deputy Do-Right Forest Ranger).
So, Mr. Nice-Guy Bounty Hunter buys his $30.00 wood permit...

He DOESN"T have to buy any rip-off "Adventure Passes" (As long as there's a saw in the truck!)

He can go to Hungry Valley and NOT pay the entrance fee (See the saws in the back of the truck Mr. Ranger?)

The wood is dead and dried already...Buck, split, load, and deliver...the burned bark falls off in the splitter, so the wood looks fresh and perfect. I tell my customers what it is and where it's from...they don't care. It's really nice wood and burns great (Jeffery fast to light and get coals, Pinion slower and more heat)

Rangers have checked my saws in the past...and the screens are there...so they leave me alone now...

Best of all...Ranger Rick sells that wood permit and says "it's for 4 cords"...then looks around carefully and whispers "But we don't care if it's 40 cords"...:cheers:

So it's a matter of perspective and working the system I suppose...I just love to cut wood, and I don't care if it's got dirty, nasty burned bark on it...it still smells like $$$$...

But back to the topic...the Second Annual So Cal GTG is gonna be fun...See some friends, meet new ones, share some saws, stories, beer and booze...
See You All There...

Bounty Hunter

Bounty good to know, sounds like the ranger up there is cool. The ones down here, uh well, not so much. The ones in Mammoth are super cool.
I got some burned up wood it was like saw dust inside, sounds like the stuff up there is better quality for sure. I may gerry rig a 288 screen and stuff it in there. Got tomorrow off un expectedly, hopefully I can catch up and get up there either day now. Thanks bud.

Hank, I think I kept the screen to a homelite junk saw I had a while ago.

If I still have it, you can cut yours to custom specs:cheers:

How large an area on the arrestor screen do you need to cover for Smokey?

PS...Mammoth = Awesome Times

Last edited:
Exactly bro, don't worry about it. It'll work out.

Slick Rick is behind the desk, but is darn knowledgeable. He mentioned a couple of weeks ago that they don't bother with spark arrestors till it matters. And we're still in the clear of red flag season.

Fellas, there's A LOTof wood up there. For small saws to big saws, although, we might have to look hard to find a stick big enough for Bounty's 880:chainsawguy:

Exactly bro, don't worry about it. It'll work out.

Slick Rick is behind the desk, but is darn knowledgeable. He mentioned a couple of weeks ago that they don't bother with spark arrestors till it matters. And we're still in the clear of red flag season.

Fellas, there's A LOTof wood up there. For small saws to big saws, although, we might have to look hard to find a stick big enough for Bounty's 880:chainsawguy:

Don't forget to bring your digital/video cameras for snapshots and video clips.

In case our cell phones won't work and we need to yell for help, I will have a 2-meter amateur radio in my truck. Alamo should be a great location for hitting one or more repeaters. There is a 2m repeater in the vicinity of Frazier Park.

Last edited:
I have to work tomorrow. So it's likely I'll show up early Saturday morning. Will do on the camera.

Hank, I'm having spark arrestor problems too:jawdrop:

It blew out.

photo.jpg

I'll use the one on the 6401 from the HD, just in case you still need a screen.

Latest posts

Back