Southern California GTG

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:clap:
Start packing for GTG June 5????

I make it a practice to say home on holiday weekends. Too many crazies and drunks out and about on holiday weekends.

There will be at least one fatality this Memorial Day weekend at Lake Nacimiento. Most likely a crazy on a jet ski running into a solid object or large boat.

Last edited:
Here We Dooooogh!

I called Slick Rick at the desk today and he said there are some trails that took it hard this year, so they have to send in some engineer's with heavy equipment to fix. He said it might take 2 weeks or more.

So...there is Alamo Mountain, above Hungry Valley. That is open, but way on the other side. Add another 30-40 minutes to go around from where we met last year to get up to the top.

It's real nice up there on Alamo mountain too. Dutchman campground is at the very top. Just an idear.

Here We Dooooogh!

I called Slick Rick at the desk today and he said there are some trails that took it hard this year, so they have to send in some engineer's with heavy equipment to fix. He said it might take 2 weeks or more.

So...there is Alamo Mountain, above Hungry Valley. That is open, but way on the other side. Add another 30-40 minutes to go around from where we met last year to get up to the top.

It's real nice up there on Alamo mountain too. Dutchman campground is at the very top. Just an idear.

Have you been up to Alamo yet? Is there much wood? Is there any big wood...like a hungry 880 would like for supper?:clap:
I heard rumors of Oak too...:clap:

Last edited:
That's the word from Slick Rick:cheers:

I was up there about 1 1/2 years ago, and I do remember some Big Timber up there. Real nice and plenty of space up top to boot. Roads are wide.

That's right...the road up is pretty good now, they paved most of it. You still have to cross Lockwood Creek at the bottom, but it's not flowing much.
There's a road that goes all the way around at the top, and there are some NICE big (primitive) camping sites...

Don't know about the wood...are you going to Recon it?

I'm taking the familia tomorrow to go cut some firewwood up there. I'll check things out. If ya have time, stop by. We can take some pics for the folks. I was going to go today, but decided to put together the 365 instead to run.

Jimmy won't have a problem at all getting his 25 footer up there too. The creek should be low. Maybe:dizzy:

So far I'm in for the 5th. Family vacation for the weekends of 12th/19th means those are out. All I need is a screen for the 394 muffler to be all USFS legal. Do we/I need a permit? Besides tools, saws, gas, oil, and coldies do we need to bring anything else? I have a real truck so streams and dirt roads will not be a problem. I can only daytrip, still have a boat, trailer, SUV and truck to get ready for vacation before the 13th....
Hank

Here We Goooooogh!

Sounds like the 5th at Dutchman campground on top of Alamo Mountain?

Plenty of space to do whatever:greenchainsaw:

Hank, you should get a permit just in case. Or maybe some of you fellas can be seen as "helpers," thus not needing a permit??

Rick seems to be a nice guy. Maybe we can ask him about it? What do you think Bounty?

I have the permit for a campfire/BBQ.

Here We Goooooogh!

Sounds like the 5th at Dutchman campground on top of Alamo Mountain?

Plenty of space to do whatever:greenchainsaw:

Hank, you should get a permit just in case. Or maybe some of you fellas can be seen as "helpers," thus not needing a permit??

Rick seems to be a nice guy. Maybe we can ask him about it? What do you think Bounty?

I have the permit for a campfire/BBQ.

The USFS website requires an Adventure Pass for the Dutchman Campground.
http://fs.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsint... Padres National Forest - Dutchman Campground

Are these the right directions? Or, Is it better to drive up from Lockwood Valley? I have not looked at my Los Padres NF map yet.
Dutchman Campground
http://travel.yahoo.com/p-parks-219864-dutchman_campground_los_padres_national_forest_camping-i

Last edited:
You're right Jimmy. I forgot about that. We have to pass by the hungry valley station. A woodcutting permit/day pass will work to get through.

I also forgot about my farmers market today. I have to pick up my order. I'll see if I can head out later today. If not, then I'll have to do it on Monday/Tuesday.

I just realized I'm going camping tomorrow:dizzy:

It's been a crazy week.

I'm heading up there right now to check things out. I just picked up my farmer's market food.

I'll post pics and so forth.

Jimmy, it's probably best if you can take the 5. If not, it's the way you came last time, but you'll have to go around towards the 5 to get there.

I'll see if I can draw up a map for you or try to get some way points with my cell if there is coverage up there.

You're right Jimmy. I forgot about that. We have to pass by the hungry valley station. A woodcutting permit/day pass will work to get through.

I also forgot about my farmers market today. I have to pick up my order. I'll see if I can head out later today. If not, then I'll have to do it on Monday/Tuesday.

My USFS map for the for Los Padres is dated 1984. There could have been some changes to the roads since then. It looks like a few of the FS road numbers could have been changed.

I'm covered with a Golden Age Passport/Senior Interagency Pass. We might need campfire permits for camping in the Dutchman Flat CG. Past history shows fire restrictions begin in the Los Padres about the middle or 3rd weekend of June.

I'll probably head up to Dutchman Flat on Friday the 4th and head home on Sunday the 6th. In case of hot sun and a lack of shade, I'm bringing a QuikShade instant canopy to cool off in.

Last edited:
It's a tough climb. I don't know about a 5th wheel getting up there. There are some parts of the road that got washed away. Not too bad, but it might make it tough. I think it's doable, although, the only campers I saw up above were all camping with tents.

Bounty should assess the situation for you Jimmy. If anything, you can camp down below in Hungry Valley and then drive up??

Here is the entrance.

IMG_0144.jpg

Looking at the right. It's the highest range where Dutchman cg is located. It's a somewhat slow drive to the top.

IMG_0165.jpg

Heading into the National Forest.

IMG_0145.jpg

The creek was flowing, but nothing to worry about. It's cement too, so there is plenty of traction. But it won't be needed.

This might be a problem, it might not.

IMG_0163.jpg

This is the worst.

IMG_0162.jpg

It looks like they're not maintaining the roads. It's bumpy to the top, but not too bad. I remember better just a year and a half ago.

IMG_0160.jpg

It's nice up there. I always enjoy my stays up there. Nice views and plenty of space to hang about up there. Nice vault toilet if need be.

IMG_0147.jpg

IMG_0146.jpg

IMG_0148.jpg

IMG_0149.jpg

IMG_0150.jpg

Looking down onto Lockwood.

IMG_0153.jpg

There are some nice spots up there. We should probably be alone too. As mostly everyone is camping up there this weekend.

Back