Spark Arresting Screen

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adirondackstihl

Flyz, Fuel & Fotos
Reaction score
My grandfather has an 010AV he purchased new in 78' and had never had any problems with it. Well he brought it to his local STIHL dealer a month ago because he just couldnt get it running. They tell him they put a new fuel filter on it and that his problem was solved. So...he goes to limb some downed timber and it still wouldnt fire. Frustrated after paying for a filter and labor and left with a saw that still didnt run, he brought me the saw. I figure WTH....check fuel filter, replace fuel lines, carb kit...etc. Got it running.....but not great....not like I know it should be. It just wouldnt take fuel at WOT.
Then that magic light bulb appeared above my head:lamp:

IMAG0546.jpg

BTW.....they never did anything to the saw. Same ole nasty fuel filter that had been on the saw since 78'..................pisses ya off dont it!

I have never seen a screen that carboned up WOW. You are on the right track that thing was drowning in its own sh!t. Old saw that was used like it was supposed to be.

The spark arrester screen is the first thing that I always check on a saw repair..!!

If not cutting on Federal land...just leave it out..!!

(also see you use Liquid Wrench as I do....I hate the smell of WD-40..!!!)
:cheers:
J2F

Last edited:
The spark arrester screen is the first thing that I always check on a saw repair..!!

If not cutting on Federal land...just leave it out..!!

(also see you use Liquid Wrench as I do....I hate the smell of WD-40..!!!)
J2F

Be sure to retune taking the screen out doubles your exhaust outlet. Right??

It makes a slight difference. Not as much as one might expect.

Screen blocks more air than you think

I believe that a screen blocks more air flow than most people know.
Try this simple test for yourself:
Hold your hand about 4 or 5 inches in front of your mouth and blow on to the palm of your hand and while blowing air on your hand move a piece of screen across between your hand and your mouth and feel the difference in air flow, you will be surprised.

besides the dealer...

It seems there was a post recently that identified where one might buy the screen, other than at the dealer (in sheets) anyone have a clue. I'm in the process of trying to make a dual port and would love to be able to fit the screen myself.
Thanks in advance for any information.

If I remember correctly...it was just bought at any big box hardware store(s)

Just want to get tight mesh stainless steel screen.

You might have to 'run the gauntlet' in your area to find what you prefer..

Lowe's...Home Depot...True Value...Ace Hardware...etc
J2F

I take those stupid screens out of my saws. Never seen sparks from a saw exhaust yet, and they restrict the flow big time.:msp_smile:

Heck when I got those two new saws (250 and 261) over the last couple months I got extra muffler for them and MM'ed both of them with in week's of getting them

PSSST don't tell anyone but none of my saw's have spark screens :msp_smile:

I take those stupid screens out of my saws. Never seen sparks from a saw exhaust yet, and they restrict the flow big time.:msp_smile:

You obviously have never spent much time with a running saw in your hands or you have very poor eyesight. I'm not saying you can't take the screen out if you want to but the bs meter goes off when you say a saw doesn't produce sparks from an unscreened exhaust.

You obviously have never spent much time with a running saw in your hands or you have very poor eyesight. I'm not saying you can't take the screen out if you want to but the bs meter goes off when you say a saw doesn't produce sparks from an unscreened exhaust.

Go to a sprint car race (at night) and watch them with open headers :taped:

You'll see flames shoting out those 3 1/2" pipes about a foot to two foot

I'll go look for a pic after I get out of the shower

I did a search and came up dry.

Removing screens effects mixture and lean state running no? If so, can one re-jet these carbs? Richen them up?
I have a Stihl, 260, 201T, 460, and an incoming lightly used 660.

Thanks, and no hijack intended.

DH

Short answer yes; remember to take the limiters off "H" screw on the carb first so you can richen them up :msp_smile:

I also did MM on my mufflers also

Last edited:
It seems there was a post recently that identified where one might buy the screen, other than at the dealer (in sheets) anyone have a clue. I'm in the process of trying to make a dual port and would love to be able to fit the screen myself.
Thanks in advance for any information.

Get some window screen it really works

Thanks guys for rapid response.

By "limiters" you mean the artificial plastic stops on H screw, correct? (preventing further backing out?)

Window screen is larger openings/higher flow rate, so a compromise over OEM fine screen? Correct?

Sorry for stupid questions, but my engine knowledge is confined to 4 stroke, modern and vintage superbikes.

Regards all !

DH

It's such a shame there are so many crooked repair shops out there... this is another case of fraud... it is very difficult to prove.. It gives you an idea of the mechanical knowledge of the supposed mechanic/technician that worked on this saw...anyone who reguraly services 2 cycles knows that when an engine won't take throttle,bogs and is quiet that the exhaust is plugged!! he should go back and demand a full refund.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back