Speechless...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe for some that would be fine but multiple that buy say 100 jobs. All you get is wasted time and back breaking work. And that chain if it was a Stihl chain would cost over $ 55.00 here.

If you have 100 jobs, then it would pay to get a grinder. However, we don't know how many of these jobs these guys are doing, if they plan to purchase a grinder in the near future, or what their plan is. Perhaps their stumper was unavailable for some reason. Bottom line is, they got the job done. I don't see cutting stumps as tool abuse.

If you have 100 jobs, then it would pay to get a grinder. However, we don't know how many of these jobs these guys are doing, if they plan to purchase a grinder in the near future, or what their plan is. Perhaps their stumper was unavailable for some reason. Bottom line is, they got the job done. I don't see cutting stumps as tool abuse.
Thats true we are assuming here. But for me the sound of that chain screaming like that No thanks. But then I cut clean wood with Square ground Chain most of the time. :) But for me I would use a axe, or if outta of the city stick a pound of black powder under it in a pipe:cheers:

Well it was for sure a dangerous situation. I didn't see any PPE or wedges in use. I did have to do something similar after Isabelle came through here. We had a huge oak flipped over with a massive root pad standing straight up, full of dirt. No way to get a tractor or truck to it. I put RD carbide chain on an old bar on a 044 and cut the root pad into 1 foot squares so we could wheelbarrow them to the street for pickup. Used up 3 chains and 2 already used bars, and once done spent about 1/2 a day servicing the saw. So maybe $200 in parts. I doubt that the guys in the video would do it for that price.

Dumb, but

I did something near that about 7 years ago when taking a huge willow out of my front yard. This thing was about 5 feet in diameter, and 50 percent wood and 50 percent sand. I had my chains sharpened into oblivion getting this thing down and the stump cut low enough that the stump grinder guy would take it the rest of the way. Wish I had taken pictures of the whole thing, but I was most interested in getting it DONE with. Worst thing is that the firewood is for sh t, and I just hauled it down to the old city dump where we are allowed to get rid of that sort of thing. Didn't use water or anything like that, but it was hell on chains. JR

True, but the best and most important part of a saw is it's Chain.I would have used a Axe that's what I did taking a tree out of the yard, Dug all around it and chopped it out. That's because I was too cheap to get someone in there with a stump grinder:)

I have done about that - but it was some years ago - like a lot of years, and I fell down a slope in the prosess, because I was very drunk.......:greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back