Speeco 22 ton pump?? issues.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Perhaps, but that doesn't make me feel better!

It put my pump in danger. I am quite upset at all this. I paid good money for a product I EXPECT to give me many years of service.

I don't drag the splitter all over the country. It stays at home. I split all wood at home. I change my oil every 5 hours. I change my plug, air filter, and hydraulic filter every year. I take care of my equipment.

I have to wonder how long that plug was popped out floating around leaving my oil unfiltered?

No offense Freemind...

But here is the deal with Speeco wood splitters...they are cheap junk...and your 22 ton is the cheapest model of them all. You probably paid just over a grand for the whole thing out the door. The engine alone on a good Timberwolf log splitter (Honda 630) costs more than your whole splitter put together with the hydraulic oil and a few tanks of gas. I know, I have more than a few Speeco's myself. Mine break down constantly and I have replaced the engine and pumps on most of them more than once. The only reason I run Speeco junk is that it's cheaper and more efficient to run 3 Speecos at a time with my two workers than to get one Timberwolf and have three people on it. The problem with "Good Quality" splitters is that they have nearly priced themselves out of the homeowner/ small commercial market. How can someone justify spending more than a few grand on a splitter? I mean I get $250 per cord on 200 cords a year average and I still cannot get myself to pull the trigger on a Timberwolf.

I guess that what I'm trying to say is that Speecos are pretty much bottom feeder splitters and it's time you come to terms with it. They are going to break down, not start, break welds, hose clamps are going to fail, the tires will go flat within a year for no reason, the valve will start popping out of return detent, the cylinder seal will leak, the metal tube going from the valve to the back of the cylinder will start leaking one day, don't even think of moving the splitter while the engine is running or it will throw a rod out the side of the engine, etc etc etc....
When they are functioning correctly they are great little splitters. The design is great but they lack the quality of components and that's where they fall short, but they are the cheapest way to put split wood on the ground and that's why I like them.

-pitch the suction filter
-change the clear vinyl suction hose to a proper spiral wire inserted suction hose (not wire pressure hose)
-Put a good return filter on it
-add gauge or quick coupler for gauge

Latest posts

Back