speed lining

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RB is one of our most advanced photographers. He has the passion and the phat foto gear. You should see some of his macros in the chain sharpening threads- make ya drool.

That really WAS some studly speedlining. I've never gone that big.

I had a really high one once that was interesting. 80 or 90 feet of sycamore, way up high, big dead limbs, the customer had an area the other side of the pond where we could dispose of it. The pond was frozen. If the limbage dropped in the middle we would not have been able to get the shrapnel. If it hit the ice too hard and went through, we were in a mess, too.

That was 'ziplining', let em sizzle, I was adjusting the tension from upstairs. They came down really fast, tension up at the last second, skid, skid, skid... wham right into the other shore. Groundguy would unclip the sling and chuck the limb over rthe bank. That was a really fun one.

rbtree said:
Here's pics from a 50 inch dbh fir which we did 18 months ago. Branches, top and trunk were all speedlined over two structures...till we got down to about 50 feet, then I said screw that, that stuff is big, and made a drop zone, about 4 feet square, and bombed the rest.
wow great pics its gonna help me try it now in a non critical area cause i kinda zoomed on your sling setup j

rbtees pics

Nice pictures :) I just wondered when that 10ft log hits your tree it must give you a little lolt...lol great job.

Munkee feet said:
Nice pictures :) I just wondered when that 10ft log hits your tree it must give you a little lolt...lol great job.

Umm, yeah, rather.....and, when speedlining, we try to let it run less than would be the norm, so more shock loading is bound to occur.

Heres somthing else

I've used "Zip lines" a fair bit,somtimes using the chipper winch rope as the "Sky line" and having a block running on that,with a "tail rope" attached to the block,running back to another block usually in the tree with the skyline attached then down to a 'Porta wrap" to control the speed of desent.I did one once to haul chunks out of a gully with a cable tensioned with winch on a 4x4 with a block running on the cable,no tail rope on this one as the block returned with gravity,however had I had a "tail rope" on the block to act as a brake when in "hauling" up the hill,it would have been much like a "north bend"system used in yarder logging.

Latest posts

Back