speed lining

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmack

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
anybody speedline big wood? specfically butt hitching off the stick

Depends on your definition of big wood

I've used a speedline to get some fairly big euc over houses directly from the stick.

The problem is it don't work for very long because your angle is constantly diminishing as you work your way down.

I have used a speedline with a haul back to get very big wood out of remote areas and gullies, but had to use very large existing trees to do it, and in those situations a cable is better for the main line, with a rope for your haul back.

I use different techniques and rigging for each specific situation, long distances and heavy loads require the use of wire rope or cable.

jomoco

Speedlining has its place, that's for sure. The name implies 'fast', but it's usually not. Extra rigging, ropes, tensioning and resetting, the setup time often adds up to more than the climbing and cutting time. But of course, there are plenty of exceptions to that. In an earlier day I would do speedlining because I thought it was cool, and to amp up my experience so I'd be ready for when I really needed to do a speedline job. Now, I only use it if it'll make things go faster. I have never done blocks off the stick. If speedlining blocks was a strong option, I'd be thinking crane.

Speed line is definately cool and an option when there is little or no fall zone. It seems to work most efficiently with branches though. I have used it for chunks, but unless there is another tree to work off of there is a lot of set up time per chunk. One word of advice, watch your angle. LOL Those chunks come at you fast!

TackleTree said:
LOL Those chunks come at you fast!

The Haul Back mentioned above can be used to control the descent of the load. Not all speed lining is cut and fly. Many now refer to uncontroled speedlining as a zipline.

makes sense. But can someone explain the haul back? I have seen a rope tied to chunk then using a fig 8 controlling the descent. Is this what you are talking about?

Had to do in Lake Arrowhead for the Cal-Edison Bark Beetle Program alot. Yeah, cranes are the way, but up there was no way to get one in there in many places. Massive dead pines. You can do alot from a 'port a wrap' , good bull-rope and nice 'block and tackle' and a great crew.
Jeff Lovstrom
Urban Tree Care,Inc.

Tree Machine said:
Speedlining has its place, that's for sure. The name implies 'fast', but it's usually not. Extra rigging, ropes, tensioning and resetting, the setup time often adds up to more than the climbing and cutting time. But of course, there are plenty of exceptions to that. In an earlier day I would do speedlining because I thought it was cool, and to amp up my experience so I'd be ready for when I really needed to do a speedline job. Now, I only use it if it'll make things go faster. I have never done blocks off the stick. If speedlining blocks was a strong option, I'd be thinking crane.
no access for cranes buckets,etc no drop option

Tree Machine said:
yeah this was'nt the job to try it, my main worry was when the block of wood went forward i was worried that the attachmet to the static speed line would tangle creating a worse situation

The 'worse' situation happens when a chunk goes down and doesn't clear the roof. If you let it zip, it whacks the roof, then you have to figure out how to get that chunk to the ground and then figure out a new way because clearly the speedline's not gonna work on the next. Even with a tag line, chunk approaches roof but doesn't go wHaM, you still have to figure out a new system.

As Jomoco points out, every chunk that comes off, you get lower, but the roof doesn't. There will be a point where you'll realize the speedline and the time invested in the setup didn't pay back and you'd wished you'd just gone with traditional lowering because that's where you're at anyway.

Speedlining can be a time saver, but it really has to be in the right place. Other than hanging a zipline for a 4th of July party, I used this method for treework only once this year.

I used the speedline on blocks for one job this summer. A balsam poplar over a boathouse at the local lake. It worked very well. We were able to park our trailer where the peices came off and were loaded right on the truck. Had 9/16 double braid catching the load and then used it to lower the block down the line. Takes the shock and bounce off the speedline. There was setup time between each block, but I took about half as many blocks since my groundies did not have to catch them on the boathouse roof and carry to the edge to get rid of them. Set up between blocks was about 3-5 minutes as I recall, so added maybe 30 minutes to the job over just cut and chuck. Made the higher charge more palatable for the customer who was properly impressed with the skill involved. It has its place.

I have never had the opportunity to see a speedline in action, can anyone link me to some sites that have pictures or diagrams of the system in action?

underwor said:
I used the speedline on blocks for one job this summer. A balsam poplar over a boathouse at the local lake. It worked very well. We were able to park our trailer where the peices came off and were loaded right on the truck. Had 9/16 double braid catching the load and then used it to lower the block down the line. Takes the shock and bounce off the speedline. There was setup time between each block, but I took about half as many blocks since my groundies did not have to catch them on the boathouse roof and carry to the edge to get rid of them. Set up between blocks was about 3-5 minutes as I recall, so added maybe 30 minutes to the job over just cut and chuck. Made the higher charge more palatable for the customer who was properly impressed with the skill involved. It has its place.
so off the stick the catching block never tangled that was one concern on trying it for this job

I use speed line approx once a month in one way or another, 3 times this month , my latest employee had never seen it used in 3 years and we used it twice in his first week with fantastic results. It takes practice and some thought but you can use it in lots of situations very easily and productively(cost effective). The last job i used it on was 2 small dead Chinese elms stumps 30ft tall on an embankment and zipped them 210ft across the creek, the embankment was a straight drop 45ft and there was no way i was going in after them. 2hrs in and out $1100aud thanks for coming. Practice the set up and it will pay in $$$$$$$

http://gear.sherrilltree.com/iwwidb.pvx?;multi_item_submit

Here's pics from a 50 inch dbh fir which we did 18 months ago. Branches, top and trunk were all speedlined over two structures...till we got down to about 50 feet, then I said screw that, that stuff is big, and made a drop zone, about 4 feet square, and bombed the rest.

Tree Machine said:
The 'worse' situation happens when a chunk goes down and doesn't clear the roof. If you let it zip, it whacks the roof, then you have to figure out how to get that chunk to the ground and then figure out a new way because clearly the speedline's not gonna work on the next. Even with a tag line, chunk approaches roof but doesn't go wHaM, you still have to figure out a new system.

As Jomoco points out, every chunk that comes off, you get lower, but the roof doesn't. There will be a point where you'll realize the speedline and the time invested in the setup didn't pay back and you'd wished you'd just gone with traditional lowering because that's where you're at anyway.

Speedlining can be a time saver, but it really has to be in the right place. Other than hanging a zipline for a 4th of July party, I used this method for treework only once this year.
iwas lucky it was no roof some ancient pool heaters pvc pipe cocreted into the slab the whole fragile nine, i tell ya for one six foot chunk i was willing to pay the time just limbs alone were taking 20-30 minutes to process yep i had my watch

Great Photos!

RBTree, great photos man, I really loved browsing through them. They looked very professional too. Do you take your own pictures?

Back