Spinning my own loops

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a chain spinner shortly. I run Stihl RS/RSC chain almost exclusively. I have a supply of 24" chains that I will be converting to 16", 20", 28", 32", etc. What Stihl parts do I need to connect the pieces? I'm guessing all I need is sideplates and rivets?

Buy your chain by the 100 foot (or 25 foot) reels. All parts come with the chain. You'll end up with lot of spares over time.

The cheaper spinners and breakers work o.k. for most use. I use them at home. Stihl sells ($$) a very robust set - as a store we wouldn't use anything else for punching/spinning a few thousand chains a year.

Parts or tools?

For tools just buy the stuff Baileys and they others sell.. unless you really want the best stuff..$$

ive got the baileys breaker and spinner..i use the breaker for punching out bar rivets as well..overall i can't complain with its performance...ive found it works good to give the chain a shot of WD40 or similiar lube when spinning them back together. tie straps and presents should be all you need (you can reuse the tie straps...but its better to have spares) ive got into a habit of using a cutter tooth as my tie strap so that it doesn't break the cycle of cutter teeth on each side...alot of premade chains ive seen have one less cutter on one side

ive got the baileys breaker and spinner..i use the breaker for punching out bar rivets as well..overall i can't complain with its performance...ive found it works good to give the chain a shot of WD40 or similiar lube when spinning them back together. tie straps and presents should be all you need (you can reuse the tie straps...but its better to have spares) ive got into a habit of using a cutter tooth as my tie strap so that it doesn't break the cycle of cutter teeth on each side...alot of premade chains ive seen have one less cutter on one side

But a pair of cutters on 1 side saves marking the chain with chalk for sharpening:cheers:

i've been wondering about making my own loops. If I understand correctly, the reel comes with all the parts required to make X number of loops. except for the tools of course

Is there a good source for reels for a decent price of stihl rm and rs.

please don't say my dealer because he is useless and thinks stihl only makes .050" gauge chains and bars

But a pair of cutters on 1 side saves marking the chain with chalk for sharpening:cheers:

Wow, I keep a felt tip marker in my toolbox for marking my starting tooth. That way I don't have to think about it.

Mark

marking the chain....heck i don't to that....i start filing wherever i'm at on the chain...i can tell what ive sharpened already...i can usually tell within a tooth or too that i'm nearing the end now that ive done it enough times

marking the chain....heck i don't to that....i start filing wherever i'm at on the chain...i can tell what ive sharpened already...i can usually tell within a tooth or too that i'm nearing the end now that ive done it enough times

Same here, after doing it a few thousand times..........

I've had bad luck with cheap spinners. thread support rod had too much slop. as you cranked rivet tighter to spin. slop in threads caused rivet to wiggle all over. results in cracked rivet heads.

go with quality spinner tools like stihl or GB. yes there is a difference.

chainbreak6.JPG

chainbreak gb.JPG

Buy your chain by the 100 foot (or 25 foot) reels. All parts come with the chain. You'll end up with lot of spares over time.

The cheaper spinners and breakers work o.k. for most use. I use them at home. Stihl sells ($$) a very robust set - as a store we wouldn't use anything else for punching/spinning a few thousand chains a year.

That means he also doesn't repair chains. Wacky.. He probably has $millions in liability insurance anyhow.

Last edited:
Back