Splicing rope

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Greenstar

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Do any of you guys splice any of your own ropes out there?

I've been thinking for a long time now of buying the book from SherrillTree's catalog, and somehow obtaining th tools that are needed; and have wondered if this is a fairly straightforward highly attainable skill with the right equipment and set-up, and maybe a few hours of due dilligence to perfect a first successful splice and get it down.

I was an eagle scout, and could lash up the meanest, most bomb stable teepee structures at age 14.
I feel like with a book and the right tools, I could definitely work it out and be safe!

Have any of you gentlemen taught yourselves this?
And is it even worth the effort? Time, (each time you need something. How long does it take to splice an eye?)
Because I'd like to custom create stuff when I want to.
Peace

Last edited:
check with knot and rope supply (www.knotandrope.com) they have a splicing symposium twice a year in Kentucky, i think it is in spring and fall. I'd like to attend sometime,I just need to find the time...

I once owned a boat, learned to splice or put eyes in double braid. I have done up to 1 1/2 inch not fun. You need the fids etc. New rope is 10x easier than used, I have spent 4 hrs on a used one inch making an eye. Nice to know the eye is as strong as the rope.

I was contemplating getting the splice kit and book from B--hop catalog last night. If I lose patience It will be a giant waste of money. I can only braid the three strand stuff, and I haven't used any of that for over twelve years.

I spiced three strand for my lanyards and some tenex for a sling. It's hard to do at first but once you get how it goes it's gets easier. It's a good feeling to use rope you splice yourself.

...but once you get how it goes it's gets easier. It's a good feeling to use rope you splice yourself.

Yeah, I believe it!

I saw a guy with his whole set-up splicing rope at New England Grows conference one year. I think he was with Shelter Tree. :sword:
Anyway, I remember looking at him, and watching, and then even talking to him I think. It doesn't look very difficult, nor too time consuming either, once you get the hang of it and know the ins and outs.

Question: Anyone else out there splice their own rope?

I want to compile a list of books, as well as links to websites where we can buy the necessary tools, and then have a discussion about that. :popcorn:

Last edited:
How long does it take?

How long does it take to cut down a tree? Depends, right?

As far as ability, I'm sure you would be able to pick it up if you were lashing at age 14, eagle scout and all . . .

Haven't spliced 3 strand for some time. Tenex (hollow braid) is probably the simplest of the braided ropes. Double braid can be a challenge but doable, esp. when new. Half inch 16 strand arborist rope (New England Safety Blue/HyVee) is by far the most difficult for me anyway. To turn a 6 inch eye takes me 30 to 45 minutes, depending on how much Mt. Dew I've consumed. Perhaps could get that down to 20 minutes if I did it more often. Once spent over 2 hours on half inch double braid on winch for bucket truck. That had had some use/wear making very difficult.

Not so much a pride factor with me as it is a security thing. I KNOW what it took to form that eye (physical effort) and KNOW it is there to stay. Have NEVER had one slip/fail.

Confidence and trust in my gear = peace of mind when aloft, so long as you don't ignore rule #1. DON'T CUT THE ROPE :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I just bought the kit from Brion Toss' website about splicing. It has some VCR tapes, the tools and some pieces of rope to practice with. It was about $110 with shipping. If I can figure out how to splice, I've got three lanyards and two climbing lines that I'd like to put eye splices on, so maybe the kit will end up being worth it. I'll let you know how it works out.

I splice everything I use. It's not that hard, but you must follow the directions supplied by the manufacturer of whatever rope you splice.
New England, Yale, and Samson all have the splicing directions available online. I'd start there. As far as tools go, I barely use tubular fids, wire fids or a splicing wand are the way to go. Read about it, start slow, and before you know it you'll be splicing whatever you want.

I splice everything I use. It's not that hard, but you must follow the directions supplied by the manufacturer of whatever rope you splice.
New England, Yale, and Samson all have the splicing directions available online. I'd start there. As far as tools go, I barely use tubular fids, wire fids or a splicing wand are the way to go. Read about it, start slow, and before you know it you'll be splicing whatever you want.

Are these good enough directions from Samson http://www.samsonrope.com/site_files/12S_C1_EyeSpl.pdf from whole rope inventory index, for specific splicing guidelines http://www.samsonrope.com/index.cfm?page=28 ? Is it pretty straightforward in this respect, so plain and simple?,
OR is book a good idea.?

Also, how about getting that tool?

I feel that after reading your post, all I need to do is try to find just a barebones tool, splicer wand or whatever.., purchase that for 20-30 dollars, and then just follow the direcions on Samson, or some other ropes sight!

And yes! I was an eagle scout! :chainsawguy:

3 strand rope? I have been splicing that since I was a Boy Scout, and I don't need a book for that. My first saddle was a rope saddle with leather pads. I spliced my own 3 braid rope back into the pads about 25 years ago.

I made my own double braid eye splices in a lanyard a couple of years ago. I didn't have an official "fid" of the right size, and didn't study enough. My splices seemed like they were pretty good , but I didn't lock stitch them in place, I only "whipped" them.

About a year later, I almost hurt myself with a fall when the lanyard eye failed. On instinct, about 25' up a walnut tree, I decided to check the eye, and it fell apart in my hands. :jawdrop: I was about to use it as my only tether in the tree.

I recently purchased a splicing kit from Samson, and have been doing double braid class I eye splices. The first one took a couple of hours, the last one took only 15 minutes, except for the lock stitching. They all look like factory splices, and I have no fear of failure. Especially since I whipped the lock stitching to make dam sure it never comes apart.

Yes, you can do your own. DON"T cut any corners, and read the instructions carefully. If they don't look right, they aren't.

... I recently purchased a splicing kit from Samson, and have been doing double braid class I eye splices. The first one took a couple of hours, the last one took only 15 minutes, except for the lock stitching. They all look like factory splices, and I have no fear of failure. Especially since I whipped the lock stitching to make dam sure it never comes apart.

Cool man. Thanks :cheers:
Good stuff!

I use True Blue, because I still have about 400 feet of it new on a roll. I think its 1/2" 12-strand, if I'm not mistaken.
I hope its that easy!:givebeer:

If not, maybe I will buy some shorter leftover fragments of some other types and colors to also try, from the local tree shop Shelter Tree.

ps. ? How much was your splicing kit? Are you glad you have the whole kit? Do u use everything in the kit?

Thanks, Peace

Last edited:
I just bought the kit from Brion Toss' website about splicing. It has some VCR tapes, the tools and some pieces of rope to practice with. It was about $110 with shipping. If I can figure out how to splice, I've got three lanyards and two climbing lines that I'd like to put eye splices on, so maybe the kit will end up being worth it. I'll let you know how it works out.

New rope works best, but slightly used will splice with just a little more work. Kinda like a snake swallowing another snake. Any resistance makes it more difficult. Enjoy that "Amazing" splicing wand. :)

Cool man. Thanks :cheers:
Good stuff!

I use True Blue, because I still have about 400 feet of it new on a roll. I think its 1/2" 12-strand, if I'm not mistaken.
I hope its that easy!:givebeer:

If not, maybe I will buy some shorter leftover fragments of some other types and colors to also try, from the local tree shop Shelter Tree.

ps. ? How much was your splicing kit? Are you glad you have the whole kit? Do u use everything in the kit?

Thanks, Peace

True Blue can't be spliced.

this is why I don't trust splices... especially splices don't by someone I don't know. vs a knot I've tied and doubled checked to be correct.

plus a knot like triple fisherman traps the biner vs a splice will not trap unless made longer for a cow hitch. which reduces strength of rope greatly.

splices do have the advantage of being more compact and not having to tie a knot. it really boils down to what one is more comfortable with.

for me it's a reliable bombproof termination knot like triple fisherman over a splice any day!

I made my own double braid eye splices in a lanyard a couple of years ago. I didn't have an official "fid" of the right size, and didn't study enough. My splices seemed like they were pretty good , but I didn't lock stitch them in place, I only "whipped" them.

About a year later, I almost hurt myself with a fall when the lanyard eye failed. On instinct, about 25' up a walnut tree, I decided to check the eye, and it fell apart in my hands. :jawdrop: I was about to use it as my only tether in the tree.

I recently purchased a splicing kit from Samson, and have been doing double braid class I eye splices. The first one took a couple of hours, the last one took only 15 minutes, except for the lock stitching. They all look like factory splices, and I have no fear of failure. Especially since I whipped the lock stitching to make dam sure it never comes apart.

Yes, you can do your own. DON"T cut any corners, and read the instructions carefully. If they don't look right, they aren't.

Thanks, Peace

It was all less than $100.00. I bought the splicing kit I think from Sherrill or maybe direct from Samson. I also got another book on splicing from another source, just to get more techniques.

So far, I have not needed the smaller fids, and the kit does not include any needles for lock stitching the splices.

The Samson splicing kit does not include the 9/16 splicing fid necessary for our bull rope, but I already had that from the distant past. Some folks say the wire fids are better, and I believe it, but they are not as practical for marking lengths; very necessary to do the splices properly.

Back