split my ash or keep it round

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scotvl

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I just got a nice little 1/2 cord score on some eab killed fallen ash trees. I've always split any round over 4" or so just for seasoning purpose, but with this ash I tested a couple of the 10" to12" rounds and they are 12 to 14% already.
My question is is there any reason to split the bigger rounds, they will all fit in my Elmira insert.

View attachment 257827

Last edited:
Sometimes the lower trunk of the tree (say 4-8') can hold moisture and even be punky depending on how long it's been dead. By your picture it doesn't look like that's what you have. When you test it, you're testing the center after you split it or after a fresh cut? With one big round and just a few coals it may be more difficult to keep the fire going especially if it's damped down. I'd say it will burn just fine though.

Absolutely. You should split it with me :msp_biggrin::msp_biggrin:

LOL, no problem I'll split it with you. Just have UPS send over a prepaid shipping crate for that stack in the picture, should only set you back a few hundred to ship it to Sacramento.

Last edited:
This is what I burn about 18" long, fresh cut from standing dead.

attachment.php

Sometimes the lower trunk of the tree (say 4-8') can hold moisture and even be punky depending on how long it's been dead. By your picture it doesn't look like that's what you have. When you test it, you're testing the center after you split it or after a fresh cut? With one big round and just a few coals it may be more difficult to keep the fire going especially if it's damped down. I'd say it will burn just fine though.

I see your in Michigan, I'm in Windsor and you know the condition of our ash since the EAB came through our area, I got these in a small bush about 5 minutes from the ambassador bridge.
I know what you're saying about the punky ash I got some like that last week, it was still solid but the growth rings had black streaks running through them and the rounds were pretty light.
The ash I got today is totally solid and the trees were blown over laying in brush to 5'off the ground. And yes I tested a few freshly split pieces and they are dry as a popcorn fart.

I just got a nice little. 1/2 cord score on some eab killed fallen ash trees. I've always split any round over 4" or so just for seasoning purpose, but with this ash I tested a couple of the 10" to12" rounds and they are 12 to 14% already.
My question is is there any reason to split the bigger rounds they will all fit in my Elmira insert.

View attachment 257827

God gave you a round ash and a split in the middle so your good:confused2:

I'm in Windsor and you know the condition of our ash since the EAB came through our area.
I have a few friends who use the tunnel or bridge every day.

I'm afraid I won't be able to get to all the ash trees in my woodlot before it rots. I'm doing my best to get the stuff that's fallen recently - with the wind tonight I wouldn't be surprised to find more in the morning. Heard one a month or two ago break about 20' high and is still hung up. Anything standing will stay that way until I can get the stuff on the ground or leaning already.

I'm afraid I won't be able to get to all the ash trees in my woodlot before it rots. I'm doing my best to get the stuff that's fallen recently - with the wind tonight I wouldn't be surprised to find more in the morning. Heard one a month or two ago break about 20' high and is still hung up. Anything standing will stay that way until I can get the stuff on the ground or leaning already.

its too bad you couldn't cull it all and get it off the ground and under cover before it rots. it must be nice having an almost endless supply of seasoned ash waiting for you though.

I should add

The best wood is the wood you dont split.

My idea for the perfict tree for firewood.

Grows to 100 foot in a years time and dies, is 8" round and hard as rock elm. grows back after its cut down.

Been looking still havent found one. :msp_angry: may be in the next life.
images

God gave you a round ash and a split in the middle so your good:confused2:

I was wonderin' when some one would come up with a smart ash answer like this.:msp_sneaky:

its too bad you couldn't cull it all and get it off the ground and under cover before it rots. it must be nice having an almost endless supply of seasoned ash waiting for you though.

I like to keep my white ash dry. Gotta keep my ash covered up. It's smooth but never powdery.

As long as they fit in your stove keep them unsplit for overnighters. Throw one on a good coal bed for a nice long burn.

I just got a nice little 1/2 cord score on some eab killed fallen ash trees. I've always split any round over 4" or so just for seasoning purpose, but with this ash I tested a couple of the 10" to12" rounds and they are 12 to 14% already.
My question is is there any reason to split the bigger rounds, they will all fit in my Elmira insert.

View attachment 257827

I'm in the same boat. Not sure where in MI you are but sounds like I'm North of you if you know people that use the tunnel regularly. I have access to 80+ acres and the Ash are dying everywhere. So far I've been able to keep up but I came across a low spot on the other side of the property and they are laying everywhere. Some already too far gone. It's a shame really. I have a buddy that also burns wood so he's been helping me take out as much as we can. Don't want to be wasteful...

Latest posts

Back