Splitter issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjramrod

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok here's my issue my splitter will move the ram in both directions but doesn't have enough power to trip the handle or split wood. I thought at first this was due to the key way coming out of the lovejoy witch has happened several times and that was an issue but isn't now. this was working perfectly before. I split earlier that day later that day this happened. the seal around the pump shaft also started leaking but not spraying or anything and it would still split after the seal.

check hyd fluid level, if low it will suck air and cause issues
if that is fine, replace filter if equipped
leave on/off switch OFF, place a piece of wood infront of the ram, pull the cord to build pressure manually, if you feel it building pressure then the pump is building pressure (also means its turning) which would lead me back to answer 1 and 2, being air or an obstruction preventing flow

check hyd fluid level, if low it will suck air and cause issues
if that is fine, replace filter if equipped
leave on/off switch OFF, place a piece of wood infront of the ram, pull the cord to build pressure manually, if you feel it building pressure then the pump is building pressure (also means its turning) which would lead me back to answer 1 and 2, being air or an obstruction preventing flow
Fluid is full maybe to full it burped a bit out earlier when I put in vertical position and ran it in first time it did that filter is new just changed

When my splitter began belching fluid out of the vent on the hyd fluid tank, I did some searching here, and a fella said the pump is sucking air in thru a leaky fitting on the inlet side of the pump.
That was Sept. of 2018.

Sure enough, the fitting from hose to pump was had loosened up and was sucking air.

A quick tightening of the fitting, and I have been back in business now for 3-seasons. Hooray
I wound up installing a Harbor Freight 6hp horiz shaft engine.

The previous owner tightened the pressure relief valve so much the splitter will stall the 6hp engine if hitting a knot. :)

IMG_3906.JPG

When my splitter began belching fluid out of the vent on the hyd fluid tank, I did some searching here, and a fella said the pump is sucking air in thru a leaky fitting on the inlet side of the pump.
That was Sept. of 2018.

Sure enough, the fitting from hose to pump was had loosened up and was sucking air.

A quick tightening of the fitting, and I have been back in business now for 3-seasons. Hooray
I wound up installing a Harbor Freight 6hp horiz shaft engine.

The previous owner tightened the pressure relief valve so much the splitter will stall the 6hp engine if hitting a knot. :)

View attachment 1002662
I checked those fittings it was my first thought they weren't loose but I did tighten a little more with a screw driver. The fluid doesn't have bubbles the burp was weird. I flipped splitter into vertical position as the motor was putting running out of gas. I then went to retract the cylinder and the fill plug was bubbling. so I took it off to see what was happening and then went to retract again. a solid bunch of fluid came out of the fill hole like a very low pressure stream then I noticed it was leaning that way. I straightened it up and ran the cylinder in the rest of the way and out with no problem after filling the gas tank other than still no power.

What kind of oil? It's hydraulic oil 40 wt it's still clear yellow it's not dark or milky the filter is a baldwin not sure the number I'd have to check
no, what kind of splitter and how old is it…there are all kinds of splitter out there with all kinds of designs that cause all kinds of problems…a bit more info may help

Yard machines 25 ton half beam it's been a awesome splitter if it didn't split something it would cut right through it even sideways but now it just won't split or build enough pressure to reset the handle

Yard machines 25 ton half beam it's been a awesome splitter if it didn't split something it would cut right through it even sideways but now it just won't split or build enough pressure to reset the handle
If you are confident with the valve block, I would slide the cylinder rod out and look at the piston seal to see if it’s intact. It oil is bypassing it it will behave like you described. I’m assuming it is an older splitter that has some time on it and the seals weren't the greatest to begin with.

if that looks ok, the next place I would look is the pump.

If you are confident with the valve block, I would slide the cylinder rod out and look at the piston seal to see if it’s intact. It oil is bypassing it it will behave like you described. I’m assuming it is an older splitter that has some time on it and the seals weren't the greatest to begin with.

if that looks ok, the next place I would look is the pump.
Ok thanks for the info I have a new pump I just wasn't going to install if it could be something else. I'll check the cylinder and see what it looks like.

Could the intake line have a blockage, that would keep it from the second stage? Wouldn’t explain the leaking but it doesn’t hurt to check lines and filter.

I had a 15yo splitter that was way down on power, starting taking things apart and somehow a tennisball sized chunk of plastic had lodged in the intake line. Maybe it was a strainer from a different spot but you never know.

Took everything apart today pressure tested cylinder everything is perfect like new inside so it's definitely the pump witch is why I bought one I just wanted to make sure that was the problem before changing it would have been alot less work just to stick with my first instinct but now I know everything is great other than the pump

Yard machines it's identical to an iron and oak as a matter of fact the new pump was new old stock for an iron and oak

Back