Splitter quit on me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geez

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
At least I've got most of my wood split for the year. I've got a 22 ton Huskee (Speeco) with a 6.5 hp Briggs & Stratton, 11 gpm pump. Everything was going peachy and then the hydraulics just quit working. Just like that, no slowing down or any sign anything was amiss. Might have been a snap or clink when it quit, can't say for sure.
Engine seems to run fine and plenty of fluid in the reservoir. The shaft into the pump spins when the engine is running. Am I correct in assuming the pump is shot? I know practically zilch about hydraulic systems but I am pretty mechanically inclined. What should I look for?
It's just over a year old so It's probably covered under the warrantee but I have to tow it 40 miles for that. Might be easier just to replace the pump? How much money are we talking and how do I test to make sure it's the pump? Thanks in advance for any info/insight into this.

call speeco direct... phone # will be on the hydraulic cylinder

customer service is excellent!

be sure

That the pump is actually turning. Might have sheared a key in the LoveJoy coupling. Thats where I would look first

call speeco direct... phone # will be on the hydraulic cylinder

customer service is excellent!

Yep. They are very good. Warranty on the hydraulics is a year, but they just might take care of you anyway.

Here's the website:

http://www.speeco.com/contact/

Hydraulic parts will come out of TSC, for some reason. That's how they work their warranty for the Huskee branded splitters.

Here's my recent experience with a warranty issue with them:

http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=1170246#post1170246

Now that I googled up a pic of an intact lovejoy connector, I see the problem :laugh:
All the studs on the engine side are sheared off. And a new connector is cheaper than the gas to take the splitter in for warrantee work. Thanks for the advice.

Last edited:
Love joy is shot,need to replace both halves and the insert.Also check alignment of halves.That has been making noise for a while by the look of the couplers.

Love joy is shot,need to replace both halves and the insert.Also check alignment of halves.That has been making noise for a while by the look of the couplers.

You would think, but we never noticed any unusual noise over the engine noise. The splitter is only a year old and went though maybe 20 cords. What would cause such apparently early failure?

I'm curious about an answer for this also. I bought a set of Lovejoy couplers for my splitter (oversized) and already there is slight damage to the plastic spider piece. Only split about 2 cords. Checked the alignment too and everything seems fine. :confused:

-"And a new connector is cheaper than the gas to take the splitter in for warrantee work. Thanks for the advice."

E-mail the pictures to the manufacturer's customer service department, they'll probably be happy to ship you new parts. They save on labor and you save on traveling.

Great thread......This is how AS works at its best..... communicate with digital pictures, maybe even video, instant help with trouble shooting first reply after 30 min, a lot of great advice, even if this one was pretty simple to trouble shoot....GEEZ did a great job even if he was "practically zilch" on hydraulics....I'll save this thread in the basic trouble shooting favourite folder...:clap:

Lovejoy makes an extra heavy duty spider,it's orange in color.Might try that next time,they seem to hold up better but I still think that you have an alighnment problem.Scott

usually don't see the spider with the center cut out,but I see that your pump shaft extends through your coupling quite a bit too.

What kind of alignment problem are we talking here? The shafts being out of line? Or shafts off center from one another? What's the normal procedure for installing them properly?:confused:
I don't want to have to do this again for at least another 20 cords.:laugh:

Well, I'm impressed. I gave Speeco a call and hardly even had to tell them the problem. Even though it is out of warrantee they are still going to send me out a new Lovejoy coupler.
Excellent customer service! :clap: :cheers: :clap:

That doesn't look like a true "Lovejoy" coupler, their's are usually painted & have the name stamped on them. Lovejoy makes the best out there, and also a heavy duty "Hytrel" spider that should last forever. My 1978 Didier splitter has the original on it. I needed a spyder one day for something else, wound up sawing up a lacrosse ball on the bandsaw, I would have used a hockey puck but couldn't find one! The lacroose spyder is still working :clap:

Geez- by the rust signature on the pump mount it looks like there's no problem there, check where the mount bolts to the engine that there's no doodoo between the mount and the engine block. (throwing alignment off). The presumed flange on the block and the flange cast into the pump SHOULD take care of any fit-up issues. That assumes mount bracket isn't mismanufactured. Like Mike said, probably not a real lovejoy, insert could be more abrasion resistant that cheep cast iron.

Back