Splitter quit on me

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a bonafide Lovejoy. The orange labeling is around the half on the engine shaft, where it doesn't show in the pics.
I'll remember the hockey puck/lacrosse ball trick. :laugh:

pump coupling

Knock on wood my duerr splitter 20+ yr old still on first coupling, 6 or so cords a yr. I think good alignment is the key to long life. 5 HP briggs and 11 GPM pump with L-090 halves and buna N spider. Bought a spare about 10 yr ago, still in the bag

Sombody mentioned the hole in the center of his spider---that's just a cheaper spider. There are several qualities avaliable, ask your salesman. I belive it's a Lo-75 on my unit (the whole coupler) I've gone through about 1-2 a year(spiders) but the Lo-75 coupler is only rated at like 11 hp, and I'm using 16 so whatever. You need to check both the alignment and all the mounting bolts. my last one lasted about a minute due to my stupid mistake of not tightening the motor mounts. if it's a LOVEJOY unit the model #'s stamped into each half on the bottom.

Last edited:
lovejoy coupling rating

The L-075 Lovejoy coupling is only rated for 2.57 HP when used with a gear pump and a one cylinder engine. The rating listed is for 90 inch pounds and a factor of 2.0 for application applies. I have a 5 HP splitter and the L-090 coupling, it is slightly under rated ie. coupling rated 72 inch pounds with 2.0 load factor and 5 HP at 3600 RPM = 87.53 inch pounds. With 11 HP you develop 192+ inch pounds of torque. An L-100 Lovejoy with a rating of 208.5 in. lb. would be more appropriate for good service at 11 HP. (see attached Lovejoy application pdf)

Last edited:
I bought the Northern 30 Ton and the factory never tightened the screws in the coupling. I have got another one that i could probably sell you It's new.

The L-075 Lovejoy coupling is only rated for 2.57 HP when used with a gear pump and a one cylinder engine. The rating listed is for 90 inch pounds and a factor of 2.0 for application applies. I have a 5 HP splitter and the L-090 coupling, it is slightly under rated ie. coupling rated 72 inch pounds with 2.0 load factor and 5 HP at 3600 RPM = 87.53 inch pounds. With 11 HP you develop 192+ inch pounds of torque. An L-100 Lovejoy with a rating of 208.5 in. lb. would be more appropriate for good service at 11 HP. (see attached Lovejoy application pdf)

Well that answers a few questions I had. I knew it wasn't rated high enough, but I didn't know it was that far out. They didn't have my size shaft in an LO-75 according to there charts. It's one inch. I already knew that though, when I got it from my buddies at the machine shop they gave it to me, they had bored it for a custom deal. Ah well if a spider is all I ever replace, it's good enough. Expescially since I've only trashed 2 in four years, the third was my falt entirely. But if it makes anybody feel better, I changed out the 16hp twin cylinder Briggs, for a single cyl. Kohler Command 13hp. this year. Oh before I forget. That was great info on the couplers.

I replace the spider on my lovejoys annually just as preventive maintenance. That goes with the annual oil change, air filter, and spark plug all at the same time.

Latest posts

Back