splitter spews hyd fluid out of reservoir

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldntired_55

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
last night, i bypassed the "add-on" hyd filter that someone installed in my Didier log splitter, now it will build pressure to split, but doesnt seem to travel full cylinder with pressure , i mean i have to add a block behind ram when it is over 1/2 extended. also, when i change ram direction, it will spew hyd oil out of tank. could it be pressure bypassing spool in control valve? would a cylinder leaking internally cause this? im stumped/.....

Air.
Somehow you are getting air back into the system. The reservoir on a didlier is dinky. It is really only there to make up the difference between retracted and extended on the ram. So...
That filter isn't or wasn't hurting things. Put it back on.
Fill the tank, extend it. then retract it. adjust the level in the tank to leave room for expansion.

I have seen this before.
Check the suction line to the pump. If there is a pinhole leak on that, the pump will pull air in, it then displaces oil, and the oil overflows the tank.

this is what i was thinking...the suction line someone replaced with clear hose with a spring lining to avoid collapse/// the fluid goes from bright red...to foamy in a few minutes of cycling ram...i have a five gallon tank ordered. also, i am curious if the pump can leak internally and cause foaming?? the ram sometimes moves with a jerking action..also when it starts to split, it just kind of sits there a minute...all of a sudden, it blows the wood right thru the wedge...no smooth splitting action i have seen with any other splitter in my years. i have a pressure gauge at control valve inlet...it barely makes 20 or 300 pounds when it tries to split. i'm beginning to think a pump and control valve may be my next 2 purchases... theres no telling with one or two or three previous owners what they may have done.. thanks for the help!

also i made a simple fluid breather from an old plastic bottle...it is around 10 inches over fill hole in reservoir ... i can 'see' the fluid churning up when i retract ram...so may be a bit over full... but, at least it's not running all over the ground now. than new tank should be mounted this weekend. i'll go from there..

this is what i was thinking...the suction line someone replaced with clear hose with a spring lining to avoid collapse/// the fluid goes from bright red...to foamy in a few minutes of cycling ram...i have a five gallon tank ordered. also, i am curious if the pump can leak internally and cause foaming?? the ram sometimes moves with a jerking action..also when it starts to split, it just kind of sits there a minute...all of a sudden, it blows the wood right thru the wedge...no smooth splitting action i have seen with any other splitter in my years. i have a pressure gauge at control valve inlet...it barely makes 20 or 300 pounds when it tries to split. i'm beginning to think a pump and control valve may be my next 2 purchases... theres no telling with one or two or three previous owners what they may have done.. thanks for the help!
that was supposed to say 200-300 psi

Back