Splitter tire pressure

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
59Ford

59Ford

ArboristSite Lurker
What PSI do you run in your splitter tires? Normally I pump trailer tires up to the max PSI to cut down on resistance but I feel like I should run the splitter tires low so it doesn't bounce around(no suspension).

Tires say 30psi max.

banshee67

banshee67

Poulan Wild Thang
i run my trailer tires at max too, but only cause it gets treated like a red headed step child. if i wasnt putting so much weight on it(overloadingit) i wouldnt run around with max psi in the tires all the time. i think the same would apply for anything, weather trailer, truck, like someone i know who runs 60psi in his 1/2 ton truck tires 365 days a year, might tow a trailer 4 times a year.
id think it depends on how much weight is on those tires, for instance if they are 1850lbs max load each on a trailer, and youre hauling around a 4 wheeler, theres no need to have 60psi in the tires, it would bald the middle of the tires out quick and ride like #### like that.. this is the way i see it at least,, someone will probably let me know im wrong though

Last edited:
Wood Doctor
What PSI do you run in your splitter tires? Normally I pump trailer tires up to the max PSI to cut down on resistance but I feel like I should run the splitter tires low so it doesn't bounce around(no suspension).

Tires say 30psi max.
I inflate to 28 to 30 psi. Heck, they all lose some air in a month. Running them low on pressure makes no sense at all.

firewood guy

firewood guy

ArboristSite Operative

Tires say 30psi max.

What size tire and also what is the load-limit of the tire and the wgt of your splitter? A good rule of thumb is to keep the inflation @ 80-90% of max if the weight of equip justifies. If you have a light load and beefy tires, it'll hop-scotch around like a little kid @ highway speeds. A little less PSI can cushion the ride a bit, but watch the load limits vs the actual weight... blow-outs suck!!

jerryw66

jerryw66

ArboristSite Guru
I don't pull mine around too much these days, I bring the wood to the splitter now more than I used to. I let a few good guys borrow my splitter now and then, it maybe sees the road 3 times a year at most. As far as tire pressure goes, my splitter has on it F/78-14s. I took them off of my 57 ford in about 1986. They have never been patched, I maybe add air about every other year and I just put in maybe 5-10 psi. I don't check it, I just make sure they don't squat much. Equipment without suspension, like cement mixers, concrete saws and such ride much nicer with lo air. I knew one guy that had 20" truck tires on a light splitter. He could run those tires with nearly 0 psi, just enough to keep the beads out.

PyO98l.jpg

kubotakid

kubotakid

ArboristSite Lurker
Nice splitter

I don't pull mine around too much these days, I bring the wood to the splitter now more than I used to. I let a few good guys borrow my splitter now and then, it maybe sees the road 3 times a year at most. As far as tire pressure goes, my splitter has on it F/78-14s. I took them off of my 57 ford in about 1986. They have never been patched, I maybe add air about every other year and I just put in maybe 5-10 psi. I don't check it, I just make sure they don't squat much. Equipment without suspension, like cement mixers, concrete saws and such ride much nicer with lo air. I knew one guy that had 20" truck tires on a light splitter. He could run those tires with nearly 0 psi, just enough to keep the beads out.

HI JW, I sure like your splitter,:) I see the wisc twin, They, are a great engine, How many gpm are you running? at what RPM? What size cyl? I support hoods on splitters, dont see many, why not, I wonder,..Nice setup Jerry, Eric :clap

jerryw66

jerryw66

ArboristSite Guru
Eric, that is a THD, max rpm is 3600, I rarely run it above 3k. The pump is the haldex 28gpm 2 stage. The cyl. is military surplus, 4x24, 1.75 ram. It has been together since about 85 or 86, no leaks, no problems. I did start with a little 13 gpm pump, too slow. It's nothing special, just gets the job done.

d3cPll.jpg