Splitter wedge--how to?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Miqdad

Reaction score
HI,
I'm a newbie here, but know with all these experts I might get lucky with an answer!

I want to make a log splitter, and some of the components are readily available here, others are not.

Are there any plans or drawings for making a fixed single-wedge? I do not want a 4-way type, just a single wedge. Any suggestions as to size, weight etc?

Thanks for any input.

Mike

pretty basic concept.. razor sharp leading edge.Then flare it out towards the back.. None of it is rocket science.

hey there, mike.

this is basically what you are shooting for in a design. it might be easier to buy it instead of make it:

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_363212_363212

some people like to weld a piece of 1" angle vertically about 1/2 way back on the wedge. after the split has started, it helps to spread the wood apart quicker, but might pose more friction to a larger piece. i am not advocating this variation, but some people like it and you do see it out there. mine was built like this, but the splitter was given to me and that's the way it came. i decided to leave the wedge as is, and replace other things like the motor, pump and ram.

i hope this was helpful.

thanks,
pat.

HI,
I'm a newbie here, but know with all these experts I might get lucky with an answer!

I want to make a log splitter, and some of the components are readily available here, others are not.

Are there any plans or drawings for making a fixed single-wedge? I do not want a 4-way type, just a single wedge. Any suggestions as to size, weight etc?

Thanks for any input.

Mike

Hi Mike,

Am trying to get one done my self, I was wondering if we can get in touch am in amman as well.

Hatim

Latest posts

Back