Splitter won't split

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rarefish383

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
I'll get pics ASAP. My buddy built an old style horizontal splitter, mostly out of heavy equipment parts. It has an electric start 12 hp Kohler for power. The ram comes out OK but as soon as the block of wood hits the wedge it stalls the motor. The engine doesn't start to bog or drop rpm's, it just dies. The pump sounds very loud to me. A friend looked at it and said it was a gear drive pump and they are loud? I looked at pumps at Tractor Supply and they want $185 for a pump a third the size as this one.

I know I've given very little info, so this is my question. The Kohler is big enough, the ram and pump are big enough. The only thing I see that might not be big enough is the oil tank, about 2 gallons.

What is missing in the equasion?, Joe.

If it dies, the engine is too small for the load. So either A. the engine needs tune or worn or governor isn't working and engine isn't capable of turning the original rated hp

or B. the pump is too big for the engine at the pressure is is trying to develope when the cylinder stalls.

Get some pump numbers, and a pressure gauge in the system.

had the same issues with mine a few years ago.
after a friend and myself messed with the pump settings a couple of times it would split nice straight stuff, but anything tough it would stall the motor..
i finally got tired of messing with it and decided to disect the pump.
i found that the keyway had broke and it would'nt go into 2nd stage..... new barnes pump fixed er right up..

OK, now I'm seeing some light. Since the pump is off some kind of big machine the 12 hp Kohler might not be big enough to run that pump at the pressure it's made to run? My buddy gave it to me a couple years ago and I couldn't get it to split so I gave it back. I'll try to get some pics and numbers.
Thanks, Joe.

OK, now I'm seeing some light. Since the pump is off some kind of big machine the 12 hp Kohler might not be big enough to run that pump at the pressure it's made to run? My buddy gave it to me a couple years ago and I couldn't get it to split so I gave it back. I'll try to get some pics and numbers.
Thanks, Joe.

A noisy pump could be cavitating. Usually caused by to small of a suction line. You most likely have a single stage pump capable of big time flow. Big time flow @ pressure takes big time horsepower.

Pics would great. Take a pic of the whole setup.

Latest posts

Back