Splitting Elm Made Easy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erik B

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
After struggling with splitting elm, even using a splitter, I came up with the attachment shown. It is made from pieces of a stake from a logging truck and heavy angle iron. It is held together by hardened bolts. The space in the middle is to allow the edge of the wedge to go all the way through the wood. I had 3 elm trees dropped for me and splitting them using the slip-on gadget was very easy. The piece of metal on top of the splitter foot is from an old wheelbarrow and helps keep the gadget in place. It replaces a piece of wood that I have used in the past. If it looks a bit crude, please know that it was built while being designed.

[ URL=http://s786.photobucket.com/user/warrenbey/media/DSC00796_zps0e831a3e.jpg.html]
DSC00796_zps0e831a3e.jpg
[/URL]

A DIY shear! Glad to hear it works. Might want to get it patented- could be valuable.

Well, not using a hydraulic now, but did in the past and hit the same sort of nastiness with big sweetgum..I can see how your attachment would work quite well. Good job man!

Looks like a very good solution to a problem that... well... frankly... should not exist.
What is the reasoning for not having the wedge extend all the way out to, say, ¼" (or a bit less) of the foot to begin with??
My pushpad nearly kisses the wedge on full ram extension...
I believe I'd make that a permanent modification.

Simple enough to a log lived problem. Great Idea!! Thanks for posting..

Sorry, even though it seems like a good idea, it is not needed for elm or hickory. A more simple solution is to just place the next piece of wood you are going to split into the splitter behind the piece you are currently splitting. Then second piece finishes splitting the first as it is pushed onto the ram/wedge. Works every time.

...just place the next piece of wood you are going to split into the splitter behind the piece you are currently splitting.

That doesn't work with the wedge mounted on the ram... especially if the splitter has a log stripper on it.
When the ram/wedge returns, it pulls the log back with it, then the partially split log is stripped off and don't leave enough room for a second log.
With a beam mounted wedge it works perfectly though 'cause the partially split log remains in place out on the wedge, leaving more than enough room for the next... and the next just pushes the first on through.

Looks like a very good solution to a problem that... well... frankly... should not exist.
What is the reasoning for not having the wedge extend all the way out to, say, ¼" (or a bit less) of the foot to begin with??
My pushpad nearly kisses the wedge on full ram extension...
I believe I'd make that a permanent modification.
There is a metal guide that is part of the wedge and it won't get any closer than 3 inches or so from the foot of the splitter. My splitter is basically stock from Farm and Fleet.

Glad some of ya are catching on. I've been trying to tell guys this for years.

My splitter (not my design, but it's been splitting elm for 30 years. It knows how elm gets done)

View attachment 320596
Steve,
I can see where the extra metal on the foot of your splitter keeps the wood out far enough to allow the wedge to go all the way thru. That is one of the benefits of making your own splitter, to incorporate the finer touches of wood splitting. Whoever made your splitter must have had experience splitting stringy wood.
Erik B

Latest posts

Back