splitting wood after 28 inches of snow

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bayard

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
i had plans of splitting to day. but the 28 inches of snow fixed that right up.i can not even get to the splitter.took 3 hours to snow blow the driveway. k

i had plans of splitting to day. but the 28 inches of snow fixed that right up.i can not even get to the splitter.took 3 hours to snow blow the driveway. k

Get some pics up! We here in the south half want to see it.:hmm3grin2orange:

22 inches up here,

but it's still snowing. Does seem operations are going to be shut down for a while.

Take Care

Gott'a feel sorry for the people around you. Even in Minnesota 22 inches would be tough going for a few days.

Think I may break down and ask my neighbor to use his backhoe to open up the bar way to my woodlot so I can drop some trees this weekend. I'm at 20" now...once past the snow the plows dump across the bar way I can drive.

Kind of nice to drop trees in heavy snow, let's me cut right through the logs while they rest on top of the snow. I go out for an hour or so till my legs start to get numb from the snow :D

Im on the Ny, Ma border, we go 30" Dec 26th, and i'm glad we only got 16 today.
Made some good money plowing, but its a PITA pushin that much snow even if its a light powder.

5 hrs to dig out my yard
qpi177.jpg

snapped a pick this morning after coffee and pondered going out to plow it or just wait til it stopped.
we got about 5 more in on top of this throughout the day but it seems to be slowing down now :dizzy:
I am hoping i can get my butt out there and slice up some rounds myself!
attachment.php

I feel sorry for you guys in New York this Winter. You already have two major snow falls on you this season and it's only January.
The last one was more like a disaster than a heavy snow fall too.
We got some but not even CLOSE to most of you in the North Eastern States.
I know Connecticut got hit hard too.
We only got 4 inches today(Tuesday night until Wednesday morning)
I heard on the news that on Tuesday/Wednesday every U.S. state, with the exception of Florida, got snow.
Now that's WILD.
~Stan

got five inches of snow here.. but drifts four feet deep in places...i would love to have 48" of snow fall here in two days...lol i would love to have the down time....

Tons of snow in CT, equipment buried, thank goodness for snowblowers and woodsheds though. Talking about more snow/rain next week - starting to worry about all those flat roofs should it rain on top of the snowpack...

yup more is coming its here now .... will be more monday and tues...mid western ohio though so maybe wv may not get it..sorry no pics my camera is dead...

16" here, to the west and east they got 20" Got the yard cleaned up and I had pulled quite a bit of logs and had rounds stacked for splitting.

Spent yesterday fixing snowblowers for people. (money to go for the 60cc+ saw fund LOL) So today I got a chance to take 8 trees down in the back field and topped and ready to go, then Split wood for a few hours. (finally! recovering from Surgery I have been unable to do any wood.)

God, this afternoon was just about darn perfect.

I dropped a 12" red maple and blocked it up lickety-split since it was resting on a nice bed of snow. I could only get my Ranger to about 15' from it (since I took out the last load of wood / weight to make room for this one :) ) so I had to carry the blocks to it.

Cool enough I didn't get sweaty and the snow almost to my knees wasn't melting on my jeans. Warm enough I didn't feel cold. Almost wish I had started earlier and tried to get two loads done.

Put about 1/4 cord in the truck, I'll split them tomorrow.

Now I'm inside a house at 72º, woodstove radiating away, a good cup of coffee, a couple oranges for a snack, I'm wearing just my boxers and a tee shirt and getting ready to watch the Patriots lay a smack down on smack talkers. :qq:

Latest posts

Back