Splitting wood with an ax.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometimes I split some oak around 20 inches and I can barely split them with a 13 lb. maul. I could not imagine splitting with anything less weight than this.

Sometimes I split some oak around 20 inches and I can barely split them with a 13 lb. maul. I could not imagine splitting with anything less weight than this.

You would be surprised with the Fiskars. My dad has the "monter maul" as well (his is red) and it will bounce off hard wood and the vibration nearly kills your hands. The Fiskars just split up som knotty old red oak (some ~30") with limited effort. If it doesn't split vertically, just lay the log on its side and give it 2 or 3 swings and then turn it back up. It usually does the trick.

:cheers:

There's more than just weight to consider, as plantbio says... Such as balance, shape, and of course build quality for a long life.

Thanks for all the replies again. I also use a wedge and sledge to. I'm gonna pick me up a 6lb maul soon and try that which is probably about the right weight for my light ass. What a bout big pieces of wood that had limbs attached to them and are hard as hell to bust.....any fast way to bust them besides a auto splitter or dynamite? FullCry

Big pieces with knots, etc., or difficult grain, I have gotten to where I simply cut partly thru them with the chainsaw, then split. Make some noodles. I just began doing this a couple seasons back, when I was favoring a sore forearm from swinging the maul trying to get thru some like that. I am a convert. Use the noodles for firestarter, better than newspaper and kindling if dry. Only took me thirty yr. to figure this out.

Fiskars

Was not sure where to put this, so. I have some new Fiskars splitting axes. Mod.7854, I think, its the 4 pound one. 25$ + shipping. Does not have the carry handle/ wall mount though.

There is only Walkers and Blueticks in my book that are good hounds. :)

Black and tans are slow, ran Walker hounds (not treeing walker) for coyote. Won quite a few comps with the few I had. Still have one at home that is a couch potato now.

I tend to like treeing walkers myself, although a mix of the popular hounds have been some of the best hounds I've been around.........

Casey

10yrFemale4.jpg

JeffBroncoLion.jpg

BroncoLion2.jpg

Last edited:
I love Walkers, they are beautiful, fast, and accurate dogs. I stopped running dogs because I got too attached to them and one got hurt quite bad by a yote and couldn't get over it. I felt so bad, she never slept outside again. I guess I don't have the stomach for it.

I love Walkers, they are beautiful, fast, and accurate dogs. I stopped running dogs because I got too attached to them and one got hurt quite bad by a yote and couldn't get over it. I felt so bad, she never slept outside again. I guess I don't have the stomach for it.

One time....272 stitches among 4 hounds--the cougar holed up in a crevice where the dogs could only go in one at a time. Luckily, we had a vet from the Florida panther study with us taking tissue and blood samples for their own research project. By the time we arrived on the scene, two of the hounds were in shock--the vet shot them full of steriods, and in a few minutes they were up and wanting to fight some more.......

We had to carry three of those hounds back to the truck that was two canyons away--I was covered in dog blood by the time we got back.

Casey

Last edited:
Having done years of carpenter work, and having cut/split many cords of firewood over the last 35 years (for my own use), I have learned that it is almost impossible to pay too much for a good tool, especially if it makes your life/work a little bit easier. You can always tell when you have made a good purchase because you will find yourself grabbing it when you need that kind of tool. , and you know if you lose/break it you will go right out and replace it with another just like it. So, if I thought that Gransfor maul would make splitting easier, even at $150.00, I would go and get one tomorrow, but at that price I would like to try it first. :)

My old steel wedge, that I bought years ago, is mushroomed from years of use, so the other day I stopped by Lowe's and bought another one. I really didn't pay to much attention to what I had bought. When I got it home and tried to use it it was awful. :( I compared how it was made to my old one, and then realized the Chinaman who made it had no idea how to make a "good" splitting wedge.

A little tip I learned, and just the other day, really helped me. It was simple and you would have thought I would have learned it the hard way. When splitting a round always start by hitting it on an outside edge.

A little tip I learned, and just the other day, really helped me. It was simple and you would have thought I would have learned it the hard way. When splitting a round always start by hitting it on an outside edge.

Yup, when I use that big orange maul on a big round that doesn't want to split right away, I'll start on the outside edge and pound a line all the way across the round. Usually, after about 3 or 4 hits, it starts to split.

One thing I like about that big maul is that if it splits it half way, the maul doesn't get stuck in the wood like an axe does.

Thanks for all the help...

Alpinecrick, those are some awesome photos of your hounds on that lion. That is one brave dog that he has by the ear lol.
I coon hunted years ago and yes Treeing walkers rule on game that trees in my opinion, hard hunters,fairly fast and accurate and brains to spare....brave to. Thanks for sharing the pics. FullCry

Like this one?

IMG_2924.jpg

Try 16 lbs.

Scott -- for the sake of your back -- you should consider a taller splitting log to set your rounds on. If your swinging 16 lbs of maul, plus crouching to align your hit to the round you are putting a lot of strain on your body.

Plus if you think about the physics of splitting wood the max force is going to be when your muscle movement downward toward the round and gravity combine -- which would be somewhere between waist and knee high. The set-up shown here you are moving an extra 10+ inches. So it seems to me.

alpinecrick

Hey alpinecrick, do you mind if I post those photo's on my face book page? Of course the state of Co. will get the credit and I won't use your name though you deserve it, and my hat's off to you for you have some good dogs and those are good photo's. FullCry

Last edited:
Ah yes, the "call of the maul", I've well nigh split at least 3000 cords with a 6 pounder. It's an easy workout, but being a good aim and being able to read the wood makes it all that much more enjoyable. A good man on a maul can outsplit a good man on a logsplitter unless you have a 4 way wedge and an auto cycle valve. Splitting with a maul makes for good posture and stretches the skeletal system, so you feel like a viking after a few cords. It's like music in the bush with a good saw, nice wood and a maul. BTW, nice cat pictures.
Gypo

Last edited:
Ah yes, the "call of the maul", I've well nigh split at least 3000 cords with a 6 pounder. It's an easy workout, but being a good aim and being able to read the wood makes it all that much more enjoyable. A good man on a maul can outsplit a good man on a logsplitter unless you have a 4 way wedge and an auto cycle valve. Splitting with a maul makes for good posture and stretches the skeletal system, so you feel like a viking after a few cords. It's like music in the bush with a good saw, nice wood and a maul. BTW, nice cat pictures.
Gypo

+1 on that :)

Latest posts

Back