splitting

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am too poor to afford a Hydraulic splitter , so I do it by hand with this

misc179.jpg

and

118747_front200.jpg

but I want to get this relic up and running

misc199.jpg

and this is on my must have list
12_pbg

Last edited:
Fiskars for me as well.

Just the biggest ax for now tho. I thought it was their splitter initially, but further learning has determined that I must make yet another Fiskars purchase. :D

The wood up here is not huge and the Fiskars that I have now is sufficient, but I have a cord or so of elm that I am leaving alone until it gets colder (and until I get the Fiskars Super Splitter).

Now that I think of it, I think I'll try a couple of splits with my current large Fiskars and see how it does on that elm.

I use a Stihl splitting maul and splitting axe. Both are made by Iltus Oxhead.

Never used a hydraulic splitter. I have a True Temper maul, same as the picture Richard posted above, an older 6lb wood handled maul (broken at the moment), a Bailey's Mega Maul which is scheduled to have its' handle lengthened by a good local welder and actually make it usable (current is 27" and I am having it made 34"), an Estwing E5 wedge and a couple sledgehammers. If none of them get through the piece of wood, then it gets cut into little bits with the chainsaw. Or it goes in the OWB whole.

Fiskars

I've looked at the different models of Fiskars, the 28'' pro and the 28'' super. The super had a heavier head I think? Which ones do you guys have, and which is the best for 20'' + hardwood?

My preferred method is a 4# single bit axe and I try to stay with straight grained wood. If it is going to be big enough to have to be split I dont want to be working all day on Gum or Am. Elm. I only do about 10 cords a year so it isn't as if I am killing myself for some wood.

got me a chopper 1.it is like a splitting maul with a fiberglass handle,and 2 paws that push the 2 pieces apart.works great on straight grain wood.they fly pretty far when it splits.this thing as about 20 yrs old,or better.havent seen any since.

got me a chopper 1.it is like a splitting maul with a fiberglass handle,and 2 paws that push the 2 pieces apart.works great on straight grain wood.they fly pretty far when it splits.this thing as about 20 yrs old,or better.havent seen any since.

I've got a chopper 1 that a friend gave me, all I had to do was put a handle on it. Not quite sure what it's nitche is yet, doesn't seem to bust the hard stuff like red oak and locust, does a good job with the black walnut though. The old narrow single bit still seems to get more done over all.

There still around if anyones interested. http://www.chopperaxe.com/

I want to try one of those true temper pro splitters or a fiskars. Looks like they would work well. jmho

I use a splitting maul with a fibreglass handle. Most of the time with softwoods its good. I just see it as a workout. With hardwoods such as Elm i start it off with the maul then hammer it through with a sledge hammer. My brother comes over to help, and takes a few logs.

Back