Sponsor thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roncoinc

Official Stihl Disser
Reaction score
After paying my monthly to stay a sponsor i was checking out several threads that started to make me think......
i was wondering what other small sponsors got from thier contributions to the site..after seeing several threads that seemed to break the non sponsor selling rules i was wondering if any other sponsors had thoughts about the recent leniency concerning the rules ??
from what i was told even suggesting you wanted to sell something or mentioning you where a dealer in a thread was a no go,,yet i see it all the time..the trading post is the place for that but in the swap meet i see for sale stuff all the time.. in threads i see stuff suggested for sale...
is it just ME or do other sponsors see this also ?? how do you feel about paying a monthly fee and getting no more than a member ?? do you get enough income to cover the cost ??
as it is i would pay for this site for all i get from it and the members but why do the lines on the rules keep changing ?? would like thoughts from other sponsors on how they feel about what they get from the site and also thank them all and the owners for the best chainsaw site on the internet :)

I'm glad you brought that up because I always wondered about the guys that that had sponsor under their name that had no link to some kind of store or web page .
How am I supposed know what product or service they offer , do I send them a pm and ask or is there a forum on the site that I am missing ?

:cheers:

I'm glad you brought that up because I always wondered about the guys that that had sponsor under their name that had no link to some kind of store or web page .
How am I supposed know what product or service they offer , do I send them a pm and ask or is there a forum on the site that I am missing ?

:cheers:

Some just support the site and sell sometimes in a thread that non sponsors arent supposed to do and and some just support the site..
also some sponsors you wont see a sponsor heading but they still are and you wont know..

hey ron,
maybe we are all sponsors.

I suppose in all things considered we all are :)
and i guess all the other sponsors are just going to let it ride and get swept along with the tide..knowing thier contributions to this site helps benefit many that need the info available here..and i'm glad i can help..

The other day I was looking at the sponsor link and was suprised how many other sponsors there are.

But no idea what they sell. It would be nice to click on you guys's name and be able to tell what you are selling and what services you offer.

After paying my monthly to stay a sponsor i was checking out several threads that started to make me think......
i was wondering what other small sponsors got from thier contributions to the site..after seeing several threads that seemed to break the non sponsor selling rules i was wondering if any other sponsors had thoughts about the recent leniency concerning the rules ??
from what i was told even suggesting you wanted to sell something or mentioning you where a dealer in a thread was a no go,,yet i see it all the time..the trading post is the place for that but in the swap meet i see for sale stuff all the time.. in threads i see stuff suggested for sale...
is it just ME or do other sponsors see this also ?? how do you feel about paying a monthly fee and getting no more than a member ?? do you get enough income to cover the cost ??
as it is i would pay for this site for all i get from it and the members but why do the lines on the rules keep changing ?? would like thoughts from other sponsors on how they feel about what they get from the site and also thank them all and the owners for the best chainsaw site on the internet :)

I agree with ya man. I was banned for five days after I mentioned that I had a saw I wanted to sale in a thread, I posted the link to the "tradin post" thread. I did not know about "non-sponsor" selling at that time, but I do now. Maybe it is a problem with the "big-dogs" that run the site not having enough people to watch everything?

The lines are blurred, the rules are bent & broken, and the rules appear to be enforced pretty much only if there is a complaint, or if the "for sale" post by a non-sponsor is blatant.

I got my hand slapped because someone bumped an old thread that was totally legitimate when it was originally posted in the Trading Post back in 2005. My explanation was accepted, but the warning was not removed; no problem as far as I'm concerned.

What about a long-time non-sponsor member who clearly bends the rules here on ArboristSite regarding selling, yet they are clearly (same user name) a sponsor (says so under their name) on another chainsaw forum? I'm surprised that Darin tolerates it.

I don't think that there is anyway that they could have someone catch every infraction.

There are people who do it with out knowing they are breaking the rules out of ignorance because they didn't read the forum rules.

There are those with an integrity issue that are trying to get something for nothing.

I respect those that abide by the rules and become sponsors, it just tells me that they are the kind of people that I would want to do business with as they have integrity and are trying their best to be legitimate.

I think the sponsers should get some kind of recognition. Unlike me they are paying. I can see the side of not advirtising in threads since it could really detract from the site if not monitored properly. I think a special link under their screen name would not be too much. This would go a long way in identifying sponsers. Plus guys like me could use their posts as a way to judge if they should be someone I can buy from. Multiple people do a great job posting great information. They stick out in my mind. Seeing a link under their name giving me a way to identify them and their products would be great. This would also eliminate the need for llarge signatures while still making the paying people stand out.

I agree with ya man. I was banned for five days after I mentioned that I had a saw I wanted to sale in a thread, I posted the link to the "tradin post" thread. I did not know about "non-sponsor" selling at that time, but I do now. Maybe it is a problem with the "big-dogs" that run the site not having enough people to watch everything?

Yep, you are one that got nailed. Just think if we allowed selling or promoting your for sales in the chainsaw forum just how many pages you would have to scroll through to read a legit post. Let me tell you, one helluva a lot. Everybody would like to sell their saw here.

As to the last sentence about not having enough eyes to catch everyone being the problem.........well while it's true not everyone gets caught that's not where the fault lies. The fault lies with those that break the rules here for their own gain, pure and simple. Those that feel they are special enough that the rules don't apply to them. The guys pm'ing prices, the hidden sellers. They are the ones that are slapping the sponsors in the face and by doing so also slapping every member as well.

The swap meet thread is a special allowance, the trading post the same. You are really supposed to be TRADING in the swap thread and selling in the trading post. We really don't analyze the swap thread much to see who is doing what. Both the swap thread and trading post have evolved into what they are now, both with the intent of more leniency toward the members.

Non sponsor selling should be reported if you see it, we are not going to catch it all.

To Roncoinc, this certainly is a valid concern/point you are making.

When I was new here I mistakenly posted a message about selling something. A sponser kindly PM'd me and pointed out my error giving me the chance to edit my mistake. Maybe a few kindly worded reminders would help out.

When I was new here I mistakenly posted a message about selling something. A sponser kindly PM'd me and pointed out my error giving me the chance to edit my mistake. Maybe a few kindly worded reminders would help out.

I agree. I am horrible about reading rules sometimes. some people truly do not know.

Curious how much it costs to sponsor for a month?

Yep, you are one that got nailed. Just think if we allowed selling or promoting your for sales in the chainsaw forum just how many pages you would have to scroll through to read a legit post. Let me tell you, one helluva a lot. Everybody would like to sell their saw here.

As to the last sentence about not having enough eyes to catch everyone being the problem.........well while it's true not everyone gets caught that's not where the fault lies. The fault lies with those that break the rules here for their own gain, pure and simple. Those that feel they are special enough that the rules don't apply to them. The guys pm'ing prices, the hidden sellers. They are the ones that are slapping the sponsors in the face and by doing so also slapping every member as well.

The swap meet thread is a special allowance, the trading post the same. You are really supposed to be TRADING in the swap thread and selling in the trading post. We really don't analyze the swap thread much to see who is doing what. Both the swap thread and trading post have evolved into what they are now, both with the intent of more leniency toward the members.

Non sponsor selling should be reported if you see it, we are not going to catch it all.

To Roncoinc, this certainly is a valid concern/point you are making.

I agree with the part about sales and having to scroll through a thread to find meat if selling in a thread was allowed.
I think also a lot of it is NOT intended to be selling in a thread but as it evolves the thread turns with somebody's interest..then an innocent poster gets caught up and goes on vacation..asking what a saw is worth is one i have seen go that way..some may want to know what they can expect to get for it if they put it out local for sale,,members can help with that to those that dont know..
Yeh,report it,just what everybody wants to be,a RAT..when i re-read the rules i did not see anything requiring a member was to report rule violations..i consider that a moderator's job..sorta like what the cop told me when he stopped me for speeding and i asked WHY ME when everybody else was also ? he said because i could catch you !
although i did report one today that was just a blatant ,seemingly comercial endevor.
been on both sides as a lot of small $20 a month sponsors and i think some leniancy should be given in some cases..of course i dont think Dave and lenient could be used in the same sentance :D
as far as my concern/point , after paying the bill and realizing i made $2 profit last month selling here i was wondering if it was worth it.just a little fizzed,i'm kewl now :)

I agree with the part about sales and having to scroll through a thread to find meat if selling in a thread was allowed.
I think also a lot of it is NOT intended to be selling in a thread but as it evolves the thread turns with somebody's interest..then an innocent poster gets caught up and goes on vacation..asking what a saw is worth is one i have seen go that way..some may want to know what they can expect to get for it if they put it out local for sale,,members can help with that to those that dont know..
Yeh,report it,just what everybody wants to be,a RAT..when i re-read the rules i did not see anything requiring a member was to report rule violations..i consider that a moderator's job..sorta like what the cop told me when he stopped me for speeding and i asked WHY ME when everybody else was also ? he said because i could catch you !
although i did report one today that was just a blatant ,seemingly comercial endevor.been on both sides as a lot of small $20 a month sponsors and i think some leniancy should be given in some cases..of course i dont think Dave and lenient could be used in the same sentance :D
as far as my concern/point , after paying the bill and realizing i made $2 profit last month selling here i was wondering if it was worth it.just a little fizzed,i'm kewl now :)

so, who was it ron?

so, who was it ron?

It was a new member with THREE post's..
the thread has been deleted..
they were manufacturing a chain sharpener,had pix even.
it wasnt like a normal member made a misteak :)

Non-sponsor selling

I got hit for Non-sponsor selling. Now I have the 40 points that never go away.

Was there a time when selling was allowed on AS? What I think happened to me was I got caught up in old threads, where at the time I believe, selling was allowed. I was feeling out the market on a certain product.

I may become a sponsor and give the product a try.......

Back