Sprocket Lube

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoveStihlQuality

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I recently bought a Windsor Speedtip bar for good price, .325, .063. 74dl. It has a lube hole at sprocket. I've never had one as I have mostly Stihl bars Question is how often should it be lubed. I understand your mileage may vary but just trying for average. Thanks

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

I recently bought a Windsor Speedtip bar for good price, .325, .063. 74dl. It has a lube hole at sprocket. I've never had one as I have mostly Stihl bars Question is how often should it be lubed. I understand your mileage may vary but just trying for average. Thanks

The pic
bc8a71120453252fe9a9d0aabfd0b2cf.jpg

My Dad always greased the bar sprocket every few tanks of gas. I've only greased my Echo once because I've only had for a few weeks. I've read where others will only grease it once a month, but not sure how much use they have during that time. Just pick one of these up for around $8 and it will last you quite a while.
IMG_2379.JPG

L8R,
Matt

There's a good bit of info here and there about how grease doesn't allow bar oil to wet the bearings after it gets dried out from sawdust. The advise on that is to use carb cleaner to strip the grease from the bearings and then wet them with bar oil.
IMHO if the tip is greased regularly the old grease is pushed out & replaced with fresh in the same way the old front suspension ball joints etc. took grease and then showed fill by grease leek at an edge. Your mileage may vary
stay safe

IMHO if the tip is greased regularly the old grease is pushed out & replaced with fresh in the same way the old front suspension ball joints etc. took grease and then showed fill by grease leek at an edge. Your mileage may vary
stay safe

Is there any particular reason you are directing your opinion at me?

There's a good bit of info here and there about how grease doesn't allow bar oil to wet the bearings after it gets dried out from sawdust. The advise on that is to use carb cleaner to strip the grease from the bearings and then wet them with bar oil.
I maintain that the grease stays largely lubricating the sprocket, not the chain, and the bar oil lubricates the bar/chain. They do different jobs, and if the sprocket grease interfered with the bar/chain oiling, no manufacturer would have a grease port and recommend greasing the sprocket!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

I maintain that the grease stays largely lubricating the sprocket, not the chain, and the bar oil lubricates the bar/chain. They do different jobs, and if the sprocket grease interfered with the bar/chain oiling, no manufacturer would have a grease port and recommend greasing the sprocket!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
The bar oil lubricates the sprocket nose just fine. Grease isn't needed.

Latest posts

Back