Spur length

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madman Mark

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Im buying a spur climbing kit soon to help with doing tree removal work with a friend of mine who is an arboriste. He's been "showing me the ropes" a bit and Im slowly learning. The kit Im going to buy comes with spurs,my choice of tree or pole spurs. My buddy says get the "shorter" pole spurs even though I'll be doing tree work. He says the longer 'tree spurs' are too long for the types of trees we have here in Nova Scotia, most without really thick bark. Should I take his advice ? He seems to know what he is talking about......although he is a little crazy LOL !

IMO it's best to match the spur length to the type of tree. Using longer tree spurs on thin bark trees is unnecessary.

Longer spurs (2 3/4" tree spurs) will work on thick and thin bark, where as short (1 1/2" pole spurs) will only work on thin bark trees (without alot of risk).

Why limit yourself?

I have both, but usually can't be bothered digging into the bottom of my gear bag to get the pole spurs for the thin barked trees and usually keep my "tree" spurs on.

You can always purchase spurs that have replaceable gaffs ( http://www.kleintools.com/OPEcatalog/PDFs/Pole_Tree_Climbers.pdf ) and buy the different gaff.

That way you'll have both.

I began work for the government owned utility company, and we were all issued both.

There is more to the gaff design than just the length. Pole spurs do not work as well in a tree, regardless of what the tree is. They are more likley to cut out, and are designed specifically for pole use. Anybody who tells you they are better on trees with thin bark than tree sprus frankly has had no experience, and does not know what they are talking about.

We used to spend 8 to 10 hours a day on spurs.. taking them off an lunch and then back on.

I have climbed trees with pole spurs and poles with tree spurs.. they will work.. but if you are climbing trees.. get tree gaffs.

I have two sets as well, a set of Bashlin's with pole gaffs that I use 99% of the time and a set of Buckingham's with tree gaffs. Buy whichever you will use the most. Word of caution though, when you need tree gaffs you really need them. You will gaff out on thick furrowed bark trees with pole gaffs.

I climbed on Klien tree gaffs for the first 10 or 12 years of my climbing career. I prefer pole gaffs these days.

Number one, I like them because they are short enough that I can walk around on the ground in between trees without dulling them.

99% of the trees I spike are thin barked and I have no problem with the pole gaffs whatsoever. I just find them less cumbersome.

Like I said, I climbed on the Klien offset tree gaffs forever. I would still be comfortable in them but I feel less encumbered with the shorter gaffs.

Also, I am a pretty good sized guy. I have no problems with gaff penetration at all.

I began work for the government owned utility company, and we were all issued both.

There is more to the gaff design than just the length. Pole spurs do not work as well in a tree, regardless of what the tree is. They are more likley to cut out, and are designed specifically for pole use. Anybody who tells you they are better on trees with thin bark than tree sprus frankly has had no experience, and does not know what they are talking about.

We used to spend 8 to 10 hours a day on spurs.. taking them off an lunch and then back on.

I have climbed trees with pole spurs and poles with tree spurs.. they will work.. but if you are climbing trees.. get tree gaffs.

I will completely disagree with you. You cant walk around with tree gaffs while on the ground. Tree gaffs put alot more strain on your body. I feel like I am climbing with hi heels on when wearing them (you can't use your toes and heels to help balance on the small stuff which sucks). After 10+ years of spiking trees I can count the times I needed tree gaffs on one hand. The times that I have used them has mainly been on large cottonwoods blocking down the spar. I would climb on pole gaffs then change over to tree gaffs for the thick bark stuff. Unless you spend a lot of time in thick bark trees (no idea where that would be)I woul opt for the pole gaffs. Every gaff manufacturer uses different geometry on the point of the gaffs, from my experience some work better than others in certain trees.

You cant walk around with tree gaffs while on the ground. Tree gaffs put alot more strain on your body. I feel like I am climbing with hi heels on when wearing them (you can't use your toes and heels to help balance on the small stuff which sucks). After 10+ years of spiking trees I can count the times I needed tree gaffs on one hand. The times that I have used them has mainly been on large cottonwoods blocking down the spar. I would climb on pole gaffs then change over to tree gaffs for the thick bark stuff. Unless you spend a lot of time in thick bark trees (no idea where that would be)I woul opt for the pole gaffs. Every gaff manufacturer uses different geometry on the point of the gaffs, from my experience some work better than others in certain trees.

My feelings as well. There are certain times when you need tree gaff and the OP said he's climbing thin barks so I agree with you. For me the strain on your body is the main reason that I would opt for pole gaffs if the length of a tree gaff is not needed.

I will completely disagree with you. You cant walk around with tree gaffs while on the ground. Tree gaffs put alot more strain on your body. I feel like I am climbing with hi heels on when wearing them (you can't use your toes and heels to help balance on the small stuff which sucks). After 10+ years of spiking trees I can count the times I needed tree gaffs on one hand. The times that I have used them has mainly been on large cottonwoods blocking down the spar. I would climb on pole gaffs then change over to tree gaffs for the thick bark stuff. Unless you spend a lot of time in thick bark trees (no idea where that would be)I woul opt for the pole gaffs. Every gaff manufacturer uses different geometry on the point of the gaffs, from my experience some work better than others in certain trees.

Would be interested in how long your gaffs are on your tree spurs. There are at least 2 sizes of gaffs that most offer for tree spurs. I just checked mine, and they are 2 3/4" (they show as general tree work) - but they also offer 3 1/2" for thick barked trees. Pole gaffs are under or around 2" typically I think.

I have no issues in walking with tree gaffs.. and we had four utility crews working on some of our larger jobs.. and everybody kept the tree gaffs on all day long. Only issues were the occasional rock when walking..

Would be interested in how long your gaffs are on your tree spurs. There are at least 2 sizes of gaffs that most offer for tree spurs. I just checked mine, and they are 2 3/4" (they show as general tree work) - but they also offer 3 1/2" for thick barked trees. Pole gaffs are under or around 2" typically I think.

I have no issues in walking with tree gaffs.. and we had four utility crews working on some of our larger jobs.. and everybody kept the tree gaffs on all day long. Only issues were the occasional rock when walking..

It is quite obvious that you have never been to high up a tree. What do you think about a removal you will piece out over targets? If you can handle what you cut without the aid of a groundie roping, you would get up and out there and keep your groundies running. You seem very inexperienced.
Jeff :heart:

It is quite obvious that you have never been to high up a tree. What do you think about a removal you will piece out over targets? If you can handle what you cut without the aid of a groundie roping, you would get up and out there and keep your groundies running. You seem very inexperienced.

Well, depends on experience in what. Been doing this for 35 years. Will admit the first half of that was total line clearance. But 100% of it was on spurs.. we didn't have groundies .. but we didn't give a crap about where we dropped wood either for the most part, nothing below to hurt. As for height certainally been up 30 meters .. and to top of 120 ft poles (looking over top) on spurs. Will admit most of that work was not too technical in nature.

I will admit that in recent years a lot of work was done with bucket.. and more recently I get really don't do a whole lot of climbing.

They are at the shop but I think they are around 3 inches. The gaffs I use almost daily are Bashiln or Klien pole gaffs can't remember. How much time on the tree do you usually spend without touching the ground on spikes? I did line clearance for a while using spikes and I could have used just about any saddle and spikes and been just a productive, run up a tree make a few cuts and come down. Try spending 6+ hours in the same tree cutting and chucking and rigging and see how your knees and lower body feel using tree gaffs.

Well, depends on experience in what. Been doing this for 35 years. Will admit the first half of that was total line clearance. But 100% of it was on spurs.. we didn't have groundies .. but we didn't give a crap about where we dropped wood either for the most part, nothing below to hurt. As for height certainally been up 30 meters .. and to top of 120 ft poles (looking over top) on spurs. Will admit most of that work was not too technical in nature.

I will admit that in recent years a lot of work was done with bucket.. and more recently I get really don't do a whole lot of climbing.

Yeah, I figured something like that. So, cool. Just don't chime in in when you don't know.
Jeff ;)

Jeff I have to disagree with you on this one, 57 and I have done a lot of jobs this year together, and some involved some serious rigging....trees on houses, wedged between other trees entangled in hydro lines etc.... he has a lot of experience and a lot of equipment to get the hardest jobs done....safely! I've seen him up in the tree and knows what he is doing! Works hard as well in any weather conditions as we've worked together in some nasty storms we've had up here in the last 6 months! I've posted pics of some of the jobs as well on here. So there you go.;) Oh yeah I use pole gaffs for poles and tree gaffs for trees!

Jeff I have to disagree with you on this one, 57 and I have done a lot of jobs this year together, and some involved some serious rigging....trees on houses, wedged between other trees entangled in hydro lines etc.... he has a lot of experience and a lot of equipment to get the hardest jobs done....safely! I've seen him up in the tree and knows what he is doing! Works hard as well in any weather conditions as we've worked together in some nasty storms we've had up here in the last 6 months! I've posted pics of some of the jobs as well on here. So there you go.;) Oh yeah I use pole gaffs for poles and tree gaffs for trees!

Well, I quess I stand corrected. Sorry, you are the man and if you say another guy is the man, who am I to say you are wrong. It won't happen again.
Jeff :bowdown:

Well, I quess I stand corrected. Sorry, you are the man and if you say another guy is the man, who am I to say you are wrong. It won't happen again.
Jeff :bowdown:

Ok, I just didn't want to have to drive all the way to Cali to tell you! lol! But if you can arrange a plane ticket for me I'll go out there! Cheers!:D

Back