Square filing. Who has tried, and given up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You obviously are into stereotypes lol. There are about 47 varying types of Douglass fir, living and dead from sweet cream on the coast to the iron wood immitations on the east slopes of the Cascades. I've barred into DF so hard I swore I just broke a sproket.

Thanks parrisw I will have to ask my teenager if my camera has this.

Metals this is a good explanation.

What helps me, is to always concentrate on geometry. . . I have a very mathematical mind.

I always try and focus on the fact that I'm trying to, essentially, divide or "cut" the top-plate off. Kinda pretending the file is a hack saw or the like.

attachment.php

Red I want to thank you for starting this thread. I think I'm getting the hang of It (SF). I took a sthil RSC to convert. It cuts preaty good. I cut with new RSC then put on the converted chain. No timed cuts but defInatly faster.

Thanks to all the imput fromevry one on this thread.

doug fir is hard?!!

hah!! you lefty coast boys crack me up.

Now I did not say it was harder then Hard wood, but as far as softwood goes its pretty hard, especially when its been sitting down for 2 years. Have you ever cut Doug Fir? Lets say this, people use it for flooring around here, its hard enough. And the bark is killer on chains, holds allot of crap.

You obviously are into stereotypes lol. There are about 47 varying types of Douglass fir, living and dead from sweet cream on the coast to the iron wood immitations on the east slopes of the Cascades. I've barred into DF so hard I swore I just broke a sproket.

Yup. . . It can get hard! Especially if the tree was cut green, and left just off the ground to "cure". Then you have the DF that has tiny growth rings -- and the butt log is always more dense anyway.

DF has been used for flooring, trim, doors, etc up here for well over 100 years.

Now I did not say it was harder then Hard wood, but as far as softwood goes its pretty hard, especially when its been sitting down for 2 years. Have you ever cut Doug Fir? Lets say this, people use it for flooring around here, its hard enough. And the bark is killer on chains, holds allot of crap.

Nope, never cut doug fir you caught me! I was just being a dink anyways. I actually very very rarely get to cut anything that is not deciduous. Most of what I cut is dead and dry hardwood. Oak, Elm, Maple. So to me cutting any evergreen usually seems very soft. Poplar is what I call soft easy cutting wood, but then I've seen guys use if for cutting tests here saying its hard so who the heck knows. Its all subjective anyways.

Nope, never cut doug fir you caught me! I was just being a dink anyways. I actually very very rarely get to cut anything that is not deciduous. Most of what I cut is dead and dry hardwood. Oak, Elm, Maple. So to me cutting any evergreen usually seems very soft. Poplar is what I call soft easy cutting wood, but then I've seen guys use if for cutting tests here saying its hard so who the heck knows. Its all subjective anyways.

Poplar is very very soft, I find that it cuts like butter compared to Doug Fir. I find even that the maple around here cuts easier then Doug Fir, not sure what species of Maple though.

yeah, maple can mean just about anything in terms of hardness. It seems to run the full spectrum in different species/types. The stuff we have is called locally leaning maple. Its not super hard but definately much harder than any conifers we have. All I know is I'm glad I don't have that Oz wood here! I'd give up on saws if I had to deal with that crap

yeah, maple can mean just about anything in terms of hardness. It seems to run the full spectrum in different species/types. The stuff we have is called locally leaning maple. Its not super hard but definitely much harder than any conifers we have. All I know is I'm glad I don't have that Oz wood here! I'd give up on saws if I had to deal with that crap

:agree2:

Their wood is HARRRRRRDDD! :dizzy:

yeah, maple can mean just about anything in terms of hardness. It seems to run the full spectrum in different species/types. The stuff we have is called locally leaning maple. Its not super hard but definately much harder than any conifers we have. All I know is I'm glad I don't have that Oz wood here! I'd give up on saws if I had to deal with that crap

Ya your not kidding about the Aussies.

I love cutting Doug Fir its my Fav, but its the dusty dirty bark that sucks. Slinger has a good vid and when he lays into a Doug Fir the dust storm is crazy.

Ya your not kidding about the Aussies.

I love cutting Doug Fir its my Fav, but its the dusty dirty bark that sucks. Slinger has a good vid and when he lays into a Doug Fir the dust storm is crazy.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J3dSbThaL30&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J3dSbThaL30&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J3dSbThaL30&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J3dSbThaL30&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

This is the one I was thinking of.

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/ioUh2r0OUkk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/ioUh2r0OUkk&amp;hl=en_US&amp;fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

well I guess I have learned that not all conifers are the same! I shouldn't have generalized!

Wife wants to plant some kind of pine/spruce evergreen tree in the front. I've been against it because evergreen trees just seem to be wussy here on the brutal prairies. They dry out and die. Turn brown and blow over. too soft. girly trees. Maybe a Doug Fir would do well. Seems like a manly tree. Can it take
-40C?

I remembered both. . . And took a 50/50 stab at picking the one you were thinking of. :laugh:

Both them video's illustrate how dusty dead DF is. I've cut Larch that's about as bad too.

well I guess I have learned that not all conifers are the same! I shouldn't have generalized!

Wife wants to plant some kind of pine/spruce evergreen tree in the front. I've been against it because evergreen trees just seem to be wussy here on the brutal prairies. They dry out and die. Turn brown and blow over. too soft. girly trees. Maybe a Doug Fir would do well. Seems like a manly tree. Can it take
-40C?

Yeah. . . DF can take hot, cold, water, no water, wind, no wind, hail, etc. A forester up here I was cruising with characterized DF as "a weed". I tend to agree. . . They're very hardy.

I like the looks of Ponderosa or Larch myself, they're straighter than the average DF. Doug fir in these parts can be pistol butted, twisted looking trees. . . More so than the PP or WL.

BTW, Doug Fir isn't even a true fir. . . It is an evergreen.

-40C?

Yup doug fir probably would do well.

Out here on the West coast they get hit by so much wind, and that makes them grow stronger with tighter grain, that's how they get so hard.

I remembered both. . . And took a 50/50 stab at picking the one you were thinking of. :laugh:

Both them video's illustrate how dusty dead DF is. I've cut Larch that's about as bad too.

Yup I cut up a 40" dead Doug Fir at my inlaws and in places the bark was about 10" thick man it was crazy!

Here's a picture of a cutter I touched up tonight. The file I was using wasn't the same on the bevels either. I had to really touch up the other side to make the cutters close to the same.

001-5.jpg

Here's pictures of the file from madsens.

017.jpg

008.jpg

This is the vallorbe file.
033.jpg

Here's a picture of a cutter I touched up tonight. The file I was using wasn't the same on the bevels either. I had to really touch up the other side to make the cutters close to the same.

001-5.jpg

Now you're cooking with gas!! That tooth looks good! :)

Back