Square filing. Who has tried, and given up?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahhh. . . Hence they're not that pricey. It seems they have a lot of potential though eh?

Beats buying a Tuatahi. Them is expensive! :dizzy:

You get what you pay for. I've seen the baileys axes break hitting knots. I have a couple Tuatahi's, professionally done, and they are way faster than the bailey's axes I've done. But, for guys just getting started I think the Bailey's axe is good. They make a great training/practice axe.

Last edited:
That's friggin crazy!! How the heck do you get it that sharp?

Reminds me of an old story about the king of England and some Sultan or Sheik showing off. The king gets out his broadsword, has his men hold up a heavy chain, and breaks the chain with his sword. The sultan holds his sword edge up and has somebody drop a silk cloth over it. The cloth cuts in half when it touches the blade.

You get what you pay for. I've seen the baileys axes break hitting knots. I have a couple Tuatahi's, professionally done, and they are way faster than the bailey's axes I've done. But, for guys just getting started I think the Bailey's axe is good. They make a great training/practice axe.

No doubt, the quality of the Tuatahi's is renown!

Sharpening cutting tools can be rewarding work for sure. Here's one of my axes.......

http://s176.photobucket.com/albums/w195/Troutfisher_photo/?action=view&current=BaileysAxe.flv

Geeze! You could shave with that!

I used to love sharpening knives when I was a kid? Now when I do, the wife just throws them in the dishwasher with everything else, then I get pissed off, so I just don't do it anymore. I used to sharpen them to where I can shave the hair off the back of my hand with it, then it was good for carving some meat!

Geeze! You could shave with that!

I used to love sharpening knives when I was a kid? Now when I do, the wife just throws them in the dishwasher with everything else, then I get pissed off, so I just don't do it anymore. I used to sharpen them to where I can shave the hair off the back of my hand with it, then it was good for carving some meat!

The best is when they put the meat into a cast iron frying pan, and THEN cut it in half with a good knife.:dizzy:

The best is when they put the meat into a cast iron frying pan, and THEN cut it in half with a good knife.:dizzy:

ha ha ha ha ha. Yup seen that done too!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

My wife is a notorious knife duller. . . Every time I tell her I've sharpened one of her knives, and "Be careful! It's very sharp!"

And every time she'll find flesh with it. :dizzy:

She told me to stop telling her they're sharp, and then she won't cut herself. :laugh:

A 5/32" fie is perfect for gullet work. . . Even a 3/16" in a pinch. You won't be able to get deep enough with the 7/32" file.

As soon as you feel the 5/32" "grab" you know you're back far enough.

I agree that it's probably easier to clean out the gullets with a 5/32" file. But I generally clean them out with a 7/32". You just have to file the bottom of the gullet a little deeper, which allows for a little better chip removal.................But I guess that's not something for square filing 101. :cheers:

This gullet was cleaned with a 7/32.
Chain012cropped.jpg

Andy

Hell, these gullets were cut with a 1/4". :jawdrop:
Chain003cropped.jpg

I agree that it's probably easier to clean out the gullets with a 5/32" file. But I generally clean them out with a 7/32". You just have to file the bottom of the gullet a little deeper, which allows for a little better chip removal.................But I guess that's not something for square filing 101. :cheers:

Chain012cropped.jpg

Andy

Chain003cropped.jpg

Oh yeah Andy. . . You can clean with a 7/32". I just like the 5/32" for the profile I do. It may seem too deep to some -- but it cuts like hell. . . And the gullets are clean for the next couple sharpenings without doing it again. :clap:

That race chain looks wicked BTW! :chainsawguy:

Chain012cropped.jpg

Andy

Chain003cropped.jpg
do you tunnel or remove any metal underneath?
On the race chain I mean.

Sorry for derailing your thread Red!! Looks like you got a few hours in that chain:jawdrop:

All threads derail sooner or later. :cheers:
I'm surprised this one has lasted as long as it has. :clap: I just hope it's doing someone some good. I love these threads because they make me stop, look, and think about things.

Oh, and there might be one or two hours in that chain. :cheers:

Andy

Back